Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ESPN, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ESPN macrumors regular

Most people have cases on their iPhone/iDevice and people would't just remove the case daily as dust and dirt would get in. However I read in a book that charging the iPhone(in a plastic/glass) case via USB can actually over heat the phone thus frying the circuits.

Is this the truth, I haven't come across any info like this till today, it would be a hassle taking iPhone out of case to charged naked but its also scary that all the times that the iPhone has been charging while in its case could have been degrading the internal parts of the iPhone.

Has anyone encountered any of these problems or is this very unlikely and I don't have to worry about this?

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Just stop charging your phone
    Problem solved.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I've never even heard of anything like this. Mine gets warm while charging but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't use a case but I have other iPhones I've used in cases and charging hasn't seemed to have affected them negatively.

4. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Impossible is nothing
    -Adidas

uhm. ur the first person to tell me this, but yeah sometimes batteries do overload, but it generally doesnt fry anything

5. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

Nonsense!

Totally BS I tell you, and I KNOW this cause I use a battery case for my iPhone 4G and have for a while. It gets a tad warm but it doesnt mess with the phones functionality and I've taken it apart before recently, no fryed anything on the inside....

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

From Apple's website:

iPhone Temperate Zone. Your iPhone works best from 32° to 95° F. You should store it in environments of -4° to 113° F. That’s 0° to 35° C and -20° to 45° C for the metrically inclined. Keeping your iPhone as near room temperature as possible (72° F or 22° C) is ideal.

Apple also does mention that charging in certain cases can generate excess heat which will affect the capacity of the battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

That absolutely will not happen. More bad advice by people who over think things. (Reminds me of a friend who didn't want people touching his camera until he got a skin for it because he thought the oils on their hands would degrade the plastic).

8. wordoflife, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Dude, lol.
    Speaking of that, I think this forum has made me overly careful about my devices. But I'm still not that anal about my devices - I think laptop cases are silly. Next thing you know, there'll be a case for the Magic Mouse.