Is this the beginning Apple's fall from grace?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Defender2010, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I love Apple products, but, there is so much negativity around the new iPhone and T.Cook and the whole keynote, I feel like over the next few years something may change...for the worse. Even friends who still work for Apple feel the tide is turning...it started yesterday...what do you think?

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

No.

3. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I think theyre looking a bit like Microsoft in the 90's. The pace of growth has to slow eventually. I doubt apple will have a traumatic downfall though.

4. MkNuII macrumors member

People predict the downfall of Apple every year.

Every company has it's up's and down's. It will come a day where we will see a new company take the "trophy" and Apple will be more slow paced. It's just normal process for every company, specially in the tech business.

Like someone said before, Microsoft was a little bit slow several years ago in terms of bring new things to the world. We now see several improvements regarding software enhancements and hardware investment from them, creating new products and some of them of really good quality.

Let's wait, see and enjoy what the market/worldtech has to offer in the following years. Some of us hopefully will also contribute :) New minds will emerge and new things will be created ;)

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What makes you think that Apple is going down the drain?

6. Silvereel macrumors 6502

So long as its not Microsoft in the early to mid 2000s...

7. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

from a iphone 4 user, upgrading to the iphone 5. its a massive upgrade, yes apple is starting to level out a bit. you cant expect amazing things from them each year.

8. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

It's a phone. Consider all the amazing things you can do with this device. How many more "problems" are there to solve for people with their phones? Other than making it a bit faster, thinner and giving it more battery life there aren't too many more major advancements we can see with every single iteration. There's always something that someone hasn't thought of yet but those things will happen at a slower pace now that the smartphone market is maturing. I think you'll see more rapid advancements with tablets for the time being as the space is still newer and competitors are still struggling for a foothold, but that too will mature and decelerate a bit, but certainly doesn't mean that Apple has lost its way and still isn't the dominant force. Of course there will be more competition or even a new king down the road but for now Apple seems to own the smartphone space until someone proves otherwise.

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I think it depends from what point you're looking at them from.

They're laptops are selling more than ever.
    iPhones have so much hype behind them it's ridiculous.
    iPads are everywhere.
    Stock prices are climbing higher and higher.

More and more stores are building mini apple stores inside their own businesses.

Looking from the outside in I can't see where the problem is.
    Reading the completely negative comments on everything Apple makes, I can't see how they are still in business.

Either things aren't as bad as some people make them out to be or else people are just hating because they are huge right now.
    I just can't understand how someone could hate any product regardless of who makes it and then go purchase it, again and again to complain more. :confused:
    and if there were no repeat customers I can't understand how they're making so much money. So something strange is afoot.:p

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Their stock closed at $684 a share...yeah, fallin hard :rolleyes:

11. LordDixon macrumors newbie

I don't know that there is anymore "negativity" about the new iPhone then there was about any previous iPhone. Now five years later, millions in sales, completely redirecting the mobile market world wide and still far ahead of it's competitors the negative voices are just making themselves known more so than before.

Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs. He's definitely not cutting it as a Steve Jobs clone. I'm going to reserve any harsh judgement on him until he finds his own identity, if he does. (I hope he realizes he needs to.)

12. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Apple falling from grace? Definitely not. My Facebook news feed when wild with my friends (who are not tech-savvy) all wetting their pants over the iPhone 5. A few also have just bought iPhone 4s's and were asking how much they could get for them.

13. tann macrumors 68000

First impressions after the keynote was that it would be their turning point downwards.

But after sleeping on it that's clearly not going to happen. This new phone I can see is a much improved phone. It wasn't just internal changes. It was drastically changed!

They've updated their two most popular iPods (majorly I might add).

New version of iTunes. I don't see how this can be their downfall...

I think they will start to slow in a/few year/s but I don't see them falling flat.

The bottom line is MILLIONS of people have invested BILLIONS of $$$$ into iTunes and the app store. They aren't just going to jump ship for something else now are they?

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think this thread is a waste of time, has nothing to do with iOS, and should be dumped in the wasteland.

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I had the same experience. Loads of friends texting/tweeting me saying they can't wait to get the new iPhone, and most are not tech savvy!

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Real people are all drooling over the iPhone 5 and its likely to set new sales records.

The only people who are disappointed are the ones hanging around here.

17. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

People said the same thing when the 4S came out "It's the same as the 4!! Apple is doomed!" Yet how many did they sell? Now I do know a bunch of people who didn't upgrade and waited for this launch and they are excited. I think the sales numbers are going to be insane this time. (as always).

I think the only negativity/falling from grace vibe I ever get is by hanging out in the MR forums too much. The gen-pop and causal techies are all over Apple and their products.

We all come here and rant and rave about Apple "It's going to be the iPhone 6! What would SJ do! It's just a long 4S, The 4S is just a 4" on and on and on. But if you step away from the MR site for a bit and see what everyone else is saying it's a totally different vibe. Plus a lot of people hate, just to hate, yet a few months later I get a txt and magically it's blue "Oh ya got the iPhone huh" :D

18. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Let's see what happens...and to those talking about stock price, I was talking about the future, not "right now". Anyway, thanks for commenting!

----------

Real people?? Great vocabulary, what are we? Chopped liver?

19. UKBeast, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

UKBeast macrumors 6502

Apple is still good, bringing good updates to customers but there is nothing much newly concept device we got for the last few years.

Usually, they are upgrading the current product line with nothing new inspiring. ipod nano, ipod touch, shuffle are all some products with different design and a bit more upgraded hardware.

Even iphone 5 does not have a game changer feature except that having new case.

Apple is turning to PC business model. Upgrade the same hardware with baby steps on every 6 months period cycle.

20. MichaelSvane macrumors newbie

I feel the same way

Since my introduction to the Apple universe in 2005 I've been amazed each and every time they've got something to say about upgrading their products and every time I've felt great about upgrading and buying even more apple products. But recently I've felt that the new updates about iOS 6 and now the launch of the iPhone 5 is rather disappointing. Yeah great and neat with all the new minor features as the Flyover and Passbook and so on...better Facebook integration..but it isn't something that makes my life any easier, which has been the case since 2005.

Sorry Apple but your new mac products with the stunning retina display isn't appealing to me. Sorry Apple but your new and bigger iPhone 5 isn't appealing to me and yes I have bought OSX 10.8 but did I need it. No.

Owning the iMac, an Iphone 4, an iPod nano 6 Gen and a Macbook pro 17" I'd have to say, that for the first time ever, I don't feel like purchasing any other products from Apple and I don't feel like updating no more.

Mike

21. BiteMyApple macrumors member

BiteMyApple

I won't say "yes you're right, or no you're not". Given the frenzy around the new iPhone launch, I think Apple is okay.

Now, I do notice a very slight decrease in design appeal (appeal, not quality). I am really not a fan of the black bezel around the new black iPhone. Added to the speaker grills, I think that iPhone 5 looks tacky. I also think that the new Nano design is awkwardly... awkward.

Now, keep in mind that revolutionizing industries doesn't happen every day. Though, Apple revolutionized four of them in 25 years, three of them since 2000. Not too bad :rolleyes:

22. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

What could they have done to make your life easier?

23. taedouni macrumors 65816

Tim Cook may not have the passion as Jobs did but he knows business. Did you see how the first batch of iPhones were sold out in 1 hour? Apple under Tim Cook has increased production to an insane amount relative to when Jobs was CEO. Just look at how many carriers in the US offer an iPhone. There's a reason why we keep getting all these leaks...it's because the production rate is so high and done early that it's nearly impossible to keep Apple's products lid tight.

24. throys macrumors 6502

This is the simpliest way I can put it. When you're at the top everyone expectations of you is to make gold from paper, always get criticism etc.
    So apple has 1 iPhone or release an upgraded version once a year against all other companies over 100 devices.
    How much can a iPhone be amended or match all competitors unless apple decide to do different variations of iPhones.
    Our expectations are a bit too much, I was sceptical also about iPhone 5 release but after a good thinking I release apple can do so much with one phone.
    The more I look at the keynote and changes to the new iPhone 5 the more I realise the hard work that went into it.
    We just have to hope apple has a ace card for next couple releases.

25. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

That's exactly why I'm not leaving Apple. Besides, there simply are no comparable platforms.