Is this the cheapest way I could get the VeriPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TRUCRACKER, Jan 19, 2011.

1. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

My contract isn't up until July which means the the iPhone would cost around $600-800 for me. If I pay the $150 termination fee can I get the iPhone at the new 2 year contract price?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe that Both AT&T and Verizon both make you wait 30 days after canceling your service to re-sign up with them again, and by canceling your contract, you will be losing your number.

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Why not just wait until July? It's not that far out. If you purchase now by paying a higher price, you'll be disappointed when/if a new iphone model comes out in July when your contract will be up.

4. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

I'd be losing my number? I mean I hate how you have to wait TWO years just for an upgrade. It's ridiculous.
    That's most likely what I'll be doing but it's 7 months and I'm an incredibly impatient person.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Especially since the iphone 5 may well be available for verizon at that point.

And poor at math. It's 6.5 months, TOPS.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You'll lose your number and be unable to sign a contract for at least 30 days. You're also forgetting that you will lose any customer history and will pay an activation fee, as well as any other applicable "new account" fees.

Seriously, can you not wait 6 months? :rolleyes:

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You must not be familiar with the iPhone forum. :)

8. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Gahh how is half a year so fast to you guys? No, I really can't wait. But I will.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pay full price. Sell your current cellphone to make some money towards the new.
    And then get the next iPhone subsidized and sell your old iPhone to make even more cash extra.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What he said^

Pay for you phone and stop trying to "get over" on the carrier!

Man UP!

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you don't want to lose your number, you can port it to a prepaid account (like virgin, boost, gophone) wait the month then port back when you open the new line with the iPhone on verizon.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar. It can generally be summed up with one or more of the following:

"OMG WHEN IS <mobile provider> GETTING THE iPHONE???"
    "I'M SO MAD ABOUT SOMETHING INCONSEQUENTIAL!!!"
    "I NEED A WAY TO CHEAT OR SCAM THE SYSTEM AND SCREW OVER EVERYBODY ELSE WHO USES MY MOBILE PROVIDER!!!"
    "I OBVIOUSLY KNOW WHAT THE NEXT IPHONE SHOULD BE AND APPLE IS SO DUMB FOR NOT DOING THIS!!!"
    "WHEN IS THE NEW iPHONE GOING TO BE OUT EVEN THOUGH THE PAST 4 ITERATIONS HAVE ALL BEEN IN JUNE???"

13. blubyu macrumors member

14. Krandor macrumors 6502

What makes it ridiculous? They are selling you a $650 phone for $299 in exchange for monthly fees for 2 years to cover that extra $350. You are basically paying the price of the phone over 2 years instead of up-front.

If they made it one year your monthly costs would go up and I don't think anybody wants higher monthly fees and from what I understand you can pay Verizon an extra $70 to get it on a one year upgrade cycle.

15. Krandor macrumors 6502

My favorite is "How can I get Apple to replace my phone for free that I dropped in the pool/otherwise broke by my own fault"

16. BriChi macrumors 6502

transfer your number to a flip "dumb" phone you laying around your house and drop the $30 a month data charge being that you dont need it on the flip and then the other phone becomes inactive and you can sell it. Then get the new iphone for $199 as an add on line with the data plan then when you receive it, swap the phone numbers between the flip and the iphone so you can always use the iphone and leave the flip at home for anyone to use it then cancel it in July. It would only be costing you an extra $10 a month till July vs having to pay $600 for the phone

17. Fernandez21, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Actually, I don't think you lose your customer history. I had at&t 8 years ago then cancelled and came back two years later. About a month after I started up again with AT&T I was on my way out of the country, so I had to call in to get International roaming activated on my phone, and when I did the cs rep said that normally new customers have to wait 3 months before they can allow international roaming, but because she could see I had a good payment history on the account I had before, they would allow it.

So even though I left for two years and opened a new account, they still had a record of my old account and what type of customer I was.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

On the flip side, shouldn't they then lower your monthly payments once your contract is up and you've paid back the subsidy? Also if you pay full price on your phone and sign up without contract?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes that would be nice and makes sense but guess not.
    Bend over customer:)

20. Krandor macrumors 6502

I would agree with that, but I expect that is a small percentage of users. With all the posts about how long people have till contracts expire I think most people are on contract with subsidized phones. Those that are in that minority should get a reduction... I am sure though the cell phone companies don't want people to actually calculate how much they are really paying for the subsidy over time.

21. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Why is it ridiculous? Cell phone companies are not charities, they're a business motivated by profit. Subsidizing cell phones more often cuts into their profits and that's just bad business.

Verizon offers one-year contracts so you can pay more up front and upgrade every 12 or so months. Verizon also offers the chance to pay full retail, which Apple sets the price of. Nobody is telling you that you are forced to wait two years for an upgrade, but if that's what you want prepare to pay more for it.

22. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

My thought too!!

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, the world is coming to an end to op because he cannot get a discount on his iphone. Break the contract and get new number.
    Or wait.

24. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

If you upgraded to iPhone 4 through them then it's $325 - (5* # of months service has ben active).

25. TRUCRACKER thread starter macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Chill, it's just questions. Sorry I don't have $600 to blow.