Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Apple gave us no reason or explenation at all for making their iPhone 6 larger.

They have now increased the size of their phone three times in the last two years. Last time they gave us a reason, the widescreen ratio.

I have the iPhone 5 and to be honest, its too long. I can not get my thumb to the top of the screen, without changing my grip of the phone. I can only immagine the horror of how often you have to change your grip on iPhone 6.

Remember back in the day when Steve Jobs said they were satisfied with their size, and wanted to design their phones for the human hand?

What happened? Have all humans gotten much bigger hands in 2014?

rct2guy

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
St. Louis, Missouri
Apple's been losing profit from customers looking for bigger phones that many Android and Windows Phone models feature. Apple tried to compensate with the iPhone 5 by making it bigger, but stressed the importance of being able to reach all parts of the screen while using just one hand, which is why it became taller, but not wider.

But Apple is still losing profit from those who want a larger phone, which is a considerably large market nowadays. Apple, thus, compensated once more by introducing the slightly larger iPhone 6, and the overtly large iPhone 6 Plus. The "Reachability" feature has been added as a (slightly clumsy) solution to the fact that, as you noted, most peoples' hands cannot reach all the way across the screen on a phone as big as the iPhone 6 Plus.

I can garuntee you this will net higher sales, because I have a few friends who are switching to iPhone with the introduction of this larger size. I know my grandparents would also love to have a phone with the simplistic UI of iOS, but the size of a screen comparable to the Galaxy Note. Now, users can choose between sizes they like.

Honestly, the iPhone 6 size isn't that much larger than the 5/5S, so I think that's a good size, and if you're itching to pick up a new iPhone, it's clearly the best choice for you. But many people have been holding out for a screen the size of the 6 Plus, and now they have one.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Money and Market Share

They have now increased the size of their phone three times in the last two years. Last time they gave us a reason, the widescreen ratio.

New reason. It's what sells and what customers want.

I have the iPhone 5 and to be honest, its too long.

No it isn't.

I can not get my thumb to the top of the screen, without changing my grip of the phone. I can only immagine the horror of how often you have to change your grip on iPhone 6.

So change your grip. Problem solved.

Remember back in the day when Steve Jobs said they were satisfied with their size, and wanted to design their phones for the human hand?

He's dead.

Track down an iPhone 4S if it is really a problem.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
To put it in simple terms, Apple makes products for the higher end of the market and most if not all the high end non-Apple phones have large screens.

They're just giving the people what they want.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
We poke fun, but seriously, I agree.

Steve initially mandated the smaller size for one handed operation. Ok. The move to 4" was a big deal. They made a point to demonstrate how it still could be used with one hand.

Now, we no longer even have the option. Boohoo, I know, and the "shrink the icons" trick might be cool/usable, but I doubt it'll replace being able to use the whole screen with one hand.

I liked it. It was pretty slick having a powerful computer that literally fit in the palm of your hand. It also made using it while doing other things really easy (and not just the restroom either lol). Those days appear to be gone, and it's a shame that there's no longer the OPTION. I've stated before I would buy a 4" with the guts of the 6 plus and I meant it. The bigger screen will be nice, and I'll get over it, but it wasn't my preference. If I didn't like it enough I'd buy something else, right?

The REAL victims here are pirates. Not piracy pirates, but real pirates with a hook for a hand. How on earth are they supposed to use an iPhone now? Arrr!

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It's win/win for Apple because there's no great smaller screened option to defect to.

It is my sincere hope that people tire of larger sizes and that Apple offers one as a "new innovation" again in the future.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The iPhone 5S and 5C will still be available after the 6 launches so there will still be options for those who prefer the smaller size.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
So people were complaining the screen sizes are too small and now Apple gives us larger screens and people still complain.

Android people were complaining that iphone screens are too small and ios people were defending it. Now we have bigger iPhones.
Android people are laughing. And ios people are :eek::rolleyes:

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
We poke fun, but seriously, I agree.

Steve initially mandated the smaller size for one handed operation. Ok. The move to 4" was a big deal. They made a point to demonstrate how it still could be used with one hand.

Now, we no longer even have the option. Boohoo, I know, and the "shrink the icons" trick might be cool/usable, but I doubt it'll replace being able to use the whole screen with one hand.

I liked it. It was pretty slick having a powerful computer that literally fit in the palm of your hand. It also made using it while doing other things really easy (and not just the restroom either lol). Those days appear to be gone, and it's a shame that there's no longer the OPTION. I've stated before I would buy a 4" with the guts of the 6 plus and I meant it. The bigger screen will be nice, and I'll get over it, but it wasn't my preference. If I didn't like it enough I'd buy something else, right?

The REAL victims here are pirates. Not piracy pirates, but real pirates with a hook for a hand. How on earth are they supposed to use an iPhone now? Arrr!

Those are my thoughts exactly.

Android people were complaining that iphone screens are too small and ios people were defending it. Now we have bigger iPhones.
Android people are laughing. And ios people are :eek::rolleyes:

It's funny. I've heard more people than not say they'd love to have iPhone screens stay the same size, and I've heard Android users complaining about big screensize on high end 'droid phones. You just can't please every one. *sigh*

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
The iPhone 5S and 5C will still be available after the 6 launches so there will still be options for those who prefer the smaller size.

The problem is that if you already have a 5, the 5c isn't an upgrade at all, and the 5s is a minor upgrade if you care about Touch ID. There is no "new" 4" iPhone. The 5s and 5c are for those who want the smaller screen and an upgrade from a 4 or 4S.

As one who likes the 4" screen, I won't fault Apple for giving the apparent majority what they want, but I wish they hadn't forgotten their base who didn't jump ship for bigger screens. I now have to consider whether I want to keep my 5 for another two years or look into the "mini" options that other manufacturers have. Or accept that the 5s is my only "new" iOS option. Maybe this time next year before it drops to the free 8gb option.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Is this the end of small manageable iPhones?

It is the end of small manageable iPhones sure, but at least Android (Sony in particular) is giving us flagship options in compact form. I've actually been more and more tempted by the Z3 Compact that just got shown off at IFA:
  • - Compact design for one-handed use
  • - 4.6 inch IPS screen w/ 319 PPI
  • - 2600mAh battery
  • - Snapdragon 801
  • - 2GB of RAM
  • - Front facing speakers
  • - 20mp camera w/ 2-step shutter button
  • - Android 4.4.4
  • - MicroSD slot
  • - Water-proof
  • - Dust-proof

Size comparison is below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 3.41.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 3.41.45 PM.png
    961.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've actually been more and more tempted by the Z3 Compact that just got shown off at IFA
Interestingly enough the Z3 has almost the same screen size and almost the same resolution as the iPhone 6, but the exterior dimensions are closer to the iPhone 5. This is what Apple should have done instead of going with those huge top/bottom bezels ...

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Interestingly enough the Z3 has almost the same screen size and almost the same resolution as the iPhone 6, but the exterior dimensions are closer to the iPhone 5. This is what Apple should have done instead of going with those huge top/bottom bezels ...

The bezels have a better camera and fingerprint scanner.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

I have the iPhone 5 and to be honest, its too long. I can not get my thumb to the top of the screen, without changing my grip of the phone. I can only immagine the horror of how often you have to change your grip on iPhone 6.

It's such a shame that humans only have one hand, isn't it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The 4.7" model is still manageable for one-handed use. If Apple's vision is any indication, we'll rely more on the :apple: Watch and less on the iPhone (meaning we take it out of our pocket less often). The 5.5" model is more to appease Android users.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
They were losing market share to people who wanted bigger phones. Apparently their research indicates the market for a 4" or smaller phone is too small to matter.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The 4.7" model is still manageable for one-handed use. If Apple's vision is any indication, we'll rely more on the :apple: Watch and less on the iPhone (meaning we take it out of our pocket less often). The 5.5" model is more to appease Android users.

More to appease Android users? I don't see it that way at all. Android users already have large phones with their own ecosystem. Bigger iPhones are more about taking advantage of what's a full fledged computer in the palm of your hand. There's only so much you can do on a tiny screen.

----------

They were losing market share to people who wanted bigger phones. Apparently their research indicates the market for a 4" or smaller phone is too small to matter.

Again, the mistake is thinking of it as a phone first and foremost. It isn't a phone first and foremost. It's a hand computer that has a phone... and a camera... and a modem... and and and. The phone is just one amongst many features of the device.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
People apparently want larger phones. I guess I get it considering we do a lot more than just make calls on our phones these days. But as I've said on other posts, wow that 6 Plus is enormous!

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
People apparently want larger phones. I guess I get it considering we do a lot more than just make calls on our phones these days. But as I've said on other posts, wow that 6 Plus is enormous!

No, people want larger HAND COMPUTERS. The fact that it's called iPhone is deceptive. The phone is a relatively minor feature on the device.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Again, the mistake is thinking of it as a phone first and foremost. It isn't a phone first and foremost. It's a hand computer that has a phone... and a camera... and a modem... and and and. The phone is just one amongst many features of the device.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
No, people want larger HAND COMPUTERS. The fact that it's called iPhone is deceptive. The phone is a relatively minor feature on the device.

That's a fair point. I suspect the Phone app ranks relatively low on the list of apps people use.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The bezels have a better camera
Is it a better camera? And does it really need a bezel much bigger than the size of the lens assembly?
and fingerprint scanner.
Yes, that would put a lower limit to the size of the bottom bezel (although looking at the pictures they could easily shave off a few more millimeters). But why does the top bezel have to be the same honking size?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Is it a better camera? And does it really need a bezel much bigger than the size of the lens assembly?
Yes, that would put a lower limit to the size of the bottom bezel (although looking at the pictures they could easily shave off a few more millimeters). But why does the top bezel have to be the same honking size?

They want to maintain symmetry. Phones look kinda odd with uneven bezels.

I think the best thing would be for them to change the home button to a square shape (or rounded square like the icons). That will allow them to make the button smaller while keeping the touch ID sensor itself the same (if the below image is accurate)

1122-touchidpatent-1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.