Is this the longest Mac refresh in apple history?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Overg, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Overg macrumors 6502

I was wondering giving the 400+ days we see, if this is the longest Mac refresh in the history of apple?

2. simsaladimbamba

No, if you talk the entire Mac line. The Mac Pro and Mac mini have had much longer periods between updates. For the iMac it surely feels like it, but to check you could always look here.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not even close. The recent Mac Pro "update" came after 685 days. Refer to the Buyer's Guide link at the top of this page.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

No, the longest a single iMac model went without update was the first Intel iMac, back in January 2006. It was on the shelves for 583 days before a redesign showed up in August 2007, so we're still about 6 months out from breaking that record.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

You clearly weren't around for the G4 debacle back in the 90s where the Mac was stuck at 400mhz because Motorola couldn't scale the processor.

6. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I dont know.. How long were the gaps between the early Macintoshes? I'm guessing they were often quite a lot longer than this? Mactracker would be a good way to find out though.

They've not previously had so many things to keep updated though either, and I imagine there's been quite a lot going on behind the scenes since Cook took the helm. A lot on their plate.

7. simsaladimbamba

It got a Core 2 Duo update in September 2006, two months after the iMac has been upgraded with an Intel CPU. The Aluminium redesign was released in August 2007.

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Roger that. So, then, to answer the OP's question: Yes.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That record has already been broken by another model. Read my post just before yours.

10. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

You mean the Mac Pro? I assumed the OP was talking iMac since we are in the iMac forum . . .

11. simsaladimbamba

No, read my post before his, then maybe if you still feel uncomfortable, read his. After that, read mine again, and feel comfortable again, unless the Scottish spinat cat drank all your whisky and let out a big old fart. Only then you are allowed to leave this thread and join us over at 4chai, not 4chan, where we drink tea in fours, and where we discuss the merits of non-conformism in the modern ages with the means of liberty green as easy lifting experience to convert to blue while stating the obvious in daylight.

12. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

What? @simsaladimbamba, surrealism?

I haunt these boards a lot of late, and see both of you here frequently. The detail in your answers and the rapidity which you sometimes provide them amaze me.

But I don't get the above exchange AT ALL. Later.

13. simsaladimbamba

You don't need to, I was just testing Mister BlueBerry, if he can understand it, as he so profoundly claimed the last time, that he did.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither do we! :D
    Twelve! Did I get it right?

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Longest in Apple history? what a ridiculous exaggeration. Try MacPro to feel what "longest" means :rolleyes:

16. amarcus macrumors 6502

It still pains me to see the days since last refresh count reset for the recent "update". Really the Mac Pro is at 698 days and counting without a refresh!

Adam

17. Overg thread starter macrumors 6502

As
    Someone else mentioned here I was referring to the iMac only. Since we are in the iMac threads.
    One thing is clear though, it's not that common for apple to delay the iMac so much.

18. leman macrumors 604

Well, there was nothing to update the iMac with until the new Intel CPUs came out in May. And the new GPUs came out even later. If I recall correctly, Apple usually upgrades to next gen around 1-3 month after it is released. So we are still within 'safe' limits. Don't forget that Apple is also limited to what is available on the market! The i7 in the iMac is still the fastest (reasonable TDP-wise) CPU from the Sandy Bridge architecture.

19. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

20. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Some of the processors offered in the Mac Pro were released in early 2011, but, nevertheless, it's a pretty shoddy state of affairs.

21. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I remember the mac mini, were everyone thought apple would axe the product. But, it got revived and later with a redesign. Seems it still is going strong as a product which many loves ( me included as a media server).

The iMac on the other hand, I think its more sad that gets such a long update cycle, its a product more dependent on up-to-date hardware specs than the mini. In iMac today is more than enough for most users as a professional machine, but since you actually buy a machine which you are going to use to its full extent and pay most likely at least 4x the amount of a mac mini, you want it to have todays hardware. Common Apple, release the god damn update this summer!

22. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Huh? The first apple powermac g4 was released mid 1999, as 400, 450 and 500 MHz. It took however 1.5 years for the 533 and 667MHz to arrive, but in-between that apple introduced dual proc, gigabit ethernet and doubled the HD and RAM. Also the 1999 PMG4/400 costed 2499 and the 2000 PM/G4 costed 1599

23. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

My last new Mac was the 400Mhz G4 PM (later upgraded with 1.5Gb of RAM, bigger HDDs and faster 1.6Ghz CPU and since then I've only have one other Mac which I bought on eBay 2nd hand, the 2005 G5PM I'm currently using.

I'm so looking forward to a new iMac!

24. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

The laptop line was really the issue for the G4/G5. It's why there are still to this day 'Powerbook G5' jokes whenever new products are about to be released. G5's were put into Macs in 2003, and PowerBooks were still using G4's up until i think 2006 when they made the switch to Intel. Though using 3 year old tech isn't exactly a thing of the past for Apple looking at the 'new' Mac Pro.