Is this the worst time to buy a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vancouvercanuck, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #1
    I have been saving money to buy a Macbook Pro, but is this the worst time to do it because

    1)they usually update their computer in spring tilme and they might consider upgrading their 512MB video ram? Internal blu-ray player? Better SSD drive? Quad-core?

    2)Snow Leopard will be coming out soon, i dont want to buy Leopard now, only to be replaced by Snow leopard the next day!

    3)Back to school promotion with free ipod in june

    So i should probably wait for a few months? How about the CPU? Is it worth the price to upgrade it to 2.8GHz instead of the standard 2.53? I am also considering the 7200 or SSD instead of the standard 5400 but would battery consumption be too much if i upgrade to 7200? Thanks
     
  2. sesnir macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    #2
    We're probably halfway through the cycle... if you can wait, then wait. If you don't want to wait, then don't. Unless you're talking about the new 17 inch... then go ahead and buy it.

    I don't imagine the next update will be major... probably just slightly better CPU clock speeds and maybe better HD options.

    Snow Leopard shouldn't make you wait... but if you decide to wait for other reasons, then by all means wait for Snow Leopard and the next revision of the mbp.

    Getting a 7200rpm hdd is a good idea... but as for 2.53 vs 2.8 it depends what you need it for. I'd say it's not worth the money *shrug*
     
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #3
    Waiting games are just that, games. You have asked questions that you have also basically answered. Save your money then when the next best thing comes out and you buy it, know that a refresh is around the corner again. There's a word for it that escapes me ... oh yes, technology. :cool:

    If the current lineup does what you need it to do then buy now. The only time I tell people to wait is if there is an event literally around the corner and by literally, I mean within 14 days.
     
  4. macjram macrumors 6502a

    macjram

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2008
  5. Vancouvercanuck thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #5
    Me too, but then i already have two ipods. Ipod classic and ipod nano

    Btw, how did the last Tiger to Leopard transition go? Can Tiger owner get Leopard for cheaper price?
     
  6. lloydh macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    Location:
    London, England
    #6
    I'd say it's still a pretty good time to buy a MacBook Pro, seeing as its last refresh was more revolutionary than evolutionary.

    I think it's reasonable to expect a VERY minor spec bump around June (certainly no Blu-Ray, probably no graphics update, probably no quad-core processor).

    Regarding the SSD, assuming speed is your primary concern, it's probably better to buy an aftermarket one (so you know exactly what you're getting). I went for the Apple 7200rpm 320GB and am waiting for 256GB SSD prices to fall and performance to increase.

    It's true that Snow Leopard is an unknown, though a benefit is the inclusion of iLife '09.

    Personally I think that the next MacBook Pro won't be a very good one to get, because at that point, the Nehalem MBP (which will be revolutionary internally) will be on the horizon.
     
  7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

    SFStateStudent

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco California, USA
    #7
    I couldn't hold it any longer! Went out and picked-up the MBP 2.5 250GB for $1199, plus AppleCare, HP Printer, plus tax for a grand total of $1543 OTD...:p
     
  8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #8
    You bought Leopard for $129.

    You will buy Snow Leopard for $129.

    Same for everyone.
     
  9. Vancouvercanuck thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #9
    Ebay? I know someone who works in Bestbuy, he said he might able to give me discount, hopefully i can save some from there.
     
  10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

    SFStateStudent

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco California, USA
    #10
    Mine was the EDU discount at the University of California, Berkeley. They only had (3) left at their Scholar's Workstation. I stayed away from CL & EB, only b/c I kept checking EDU discounts throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. San Francisco State had the same deal on all of their MBP, but it was $200 more without the AppleCare...
     
  11. MidwestStuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Location:
    Estados Unidos
    #11
    I would say that now's a good time to get a new MBP. As someone mentioned already, the big change in the line happened back in October. You'll only be getting minor upgrades if you hold out. The MBPs now have the Nvidia chipset, and Apple's going to be running on that for a while. Plus, you have 4 iPods... there's no need to wait IMO.
     
  12. darwinian macrumors 6502a

    darwinian

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    In R4, more or less
    #12
    For the record, the worst time to buy is during a keynote, while a new product you might need is being announced.
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    Except the Apple Store is down, so you'd be buying from Best Buy or Macmall...

    And then you can just blame them for not taking their stores down. :p

    Actually, the worst time to buy would be from a physical, non-Apple store SEVERAL DAYS after the release of new products, because they'll still probably only have the old stock... :rolleyes:
     
  14. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    Location:
    Michigan
    #14
    Well seeing as Apple has a 14 day replacement/refund program (as do almost all manufactures) if they introduce a new product or lower the price, I'd say the worst time would be 15 days before the new product is on the market.
     
  15. mstout macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2009
    #15
    Just bought a MBP. I think it's a great time. The instant I bought mine, there is something better in the works. But that will always be the case in my lifetime. I'm psyched. But I needed a new computer now. If you can wait, and you have doubts, I'd wait. But I don't think it's a bad time to buy at all.
     
  16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #16
    this guy is expecting an education purchase, hence, the summer ipod promo. he won't be paying $129. to the op, os x prices vary by school. the standard price on apple's edu site has os x listed at $69 (i think), but a lot of schools sell it for cheaper still (though i have no idea how pricing works in canada). regardless, if you can wait for the summer ipod promo, you'll likely be able to wait for snow leopard. i think people are expecting it to ship near wwdc time, typically in june.
     
  17. darwinian macrumors 6502a

    darwinian

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    In R4, more or less
    #17
    It would be amusing to see not only signs on all internet retailers but sticky notes on the sliding glass doors of brick & mortar stores saying, "The Apple Section Will Be Back Soon."

    I have to admit that it bothers me slightly that retailers have the 17" MBP at full price currently. I realize the new ones aren't available yet, but something about it rings sneaky to me. Here are some things to consider:

    --The new ones are really not available yet, so in a sense they really don't exist
    --But at least with Apple, they are guaranteed to arrive, and most probably soon
    --When the new ones are available, they will be the same price as the current ones
    --Retailers should be trying to get rid of stock in anticipation of the new ones with aggressive discounts NOW, not just once the new ones arrive
    --I know sales folks inform their potential customers at the peril of an immediate sale in some cases, but it should be a store policy, in combination with the discounted "old" stock
     
  18. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #18
    If you're keeping it for a long time..

    I'd get the 2.8GHZ. I'd get the stock hard drive and replace it when bigger drives come back on your own.

     
  19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #19
    I wonder about this. If SL is a speed increase with no new features I suspect Apple will sell at a lower price than traditionally offered to assist sales.
     

Share This Page