Is this true or even likely 21" Imac with i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xSPRINTERx, Dec 30, 2009.

1. xSPRINTERx macrumors regular

One of the IT guys at work came to fix my windows laptop today (red line on the screen) we got talking as you do.. Told him I was a big apple fan.

He said that he knows someone at apple who told him that the 21" Imac will get a revision some time in the early new year, the revision being a quad core the same as in the 27" ??

I have not seen anything on this and the IT guy would not give me any more info telling me he already told me enough.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No one outside of Apple, except the people that have to do with producing that Mac, knows about this.

The iMac got updated in October, so the next refresh is most likely to appear between April and June.

If the 21.5" gets an i5 or i7 CPU is not known, but rumoured or expected (in the wishful way).

Also a more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post.

3. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

4. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Gold :D

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Would heat not be a massive problem? All those components in such a small area, along with an i5/7.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Most Apple employees wouldn't know anything about such a product. And those who know would most likely not tell anybody, and definitely wouldn't tell someone who can't keep their mouth shut.

7. banya95 macrumors member

+1
    Classic!

8. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...short and to the point ;)

9. xSPRINTERx thread starter macrumors regular

He seamed convinced,

Guess only time will really tell, seams unlikely though.:confused::confused::confused:

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

In fairness to him, he maybe right. The next update may have that processor. But he's probably just guessing as I doubt he, or anyone he knows has inside information from Apple.

I predict the next Apple update will induce many threads with people moaning (probably me as well).

11. dal20402 macrumors 6502

The 27" currently has a desktop quad-core.

The 21.5" with its smaller enclosure probably can't handle the cooling needs of the hot desktop processor. Therefore, IF the 21.5" is going to get a quad-core, then that quad-core will probably be one of the new mobile processors that should be shipping during Q1 '10.

So it's a reasonable guess to think that sometime during Q1 '10 we might see a quad-core 21.5" iMac, but 1) no one knows, and 2) it probably won't be quite as fast as the quad-core 27".

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

13. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

As stated before it's safe to assume that he was just guessing, but I think the iMac 21.5" will see the mobile i series processor sometime within the next four months.

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I have a friend who exactly that, just guesses. He works at futureshop and said they'd sell the iphone... every month he said it, then like a year later when they did he said "told you so"... so take this guy's word for what it is. it's easy to say you know something and be wrong, if you're speculating, it's pretty easy to brush it off when you're wrong

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

An i7 21.5 does not fit Apple's marketing scheme for their computers. It also probably cannot handle the heat. I would expect mobile iseries procs in these machines but not for awhile yet. At least 6 months. Maybe a year.

Plus your IT guy is an idiot.