Is this type of connection possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deepakvrao, Apr 4, 2018.

1. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

If I get this hub, can I connect it to my Macbook 12 with the long charging cable [that comes with the laptop], and then plug this in to the charger directly, so that I can use my laptop on my couch with the hub away on a table?

Not sure if I have communicated accurately. What I mean is that the hub should be near the charger and away from the laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072268Q68/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

[​IMG]

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

No I don't think so. When I had my MacBook I used a HooToo for travel and the lead which has to plug in to the computer is the short grey one (top right in the image).

At home I used my MacBook with a Caldigit USB-C powered docking station which is a much larger, much more capable and expensive device that basically does a similar job better and replaces the Apple 29W charger. It has a separate lead between the hub and the MacBook so can be positioned away from the MacBook (but longest supplied lead is only 1m, but I found 10ft ones on Amazon). OWC do a similar one. These are not travel devices like the HooToo, more of a fixed desktop item, like in my photo.

IMG_7166.jpg

3. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have just seen this post in another thread, so there is a way.