USB hub which can power hard drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deepakvrao, Apr 4, 2018.

1. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

2. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

I've been using a similar Aukey hub for the rMB with 30W PD.
    It powers 2 external HDD when connected to the charger. I even use an extension cable from the rMB to the hub so it works more like a dock and I can use the rMB on my lap without the HDD's being in the way. Quite pleased.

3. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Any link to what you are using?

4. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

It is exactly the same as in your link but I've had it for more than two years and before the MBP was released so it mentioned only the rMB in the discription. If I remember correctly I paid ca $25.

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Have you seen this thread on the same subject:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/two-external-usb-drives.2020631/#post-24845918

Bottom line: many will "power" two attached drives or devices, but it depends what you want to with them. e.g. Read from either is usually OK but transferring data between them is flaky. Depends on hubs and drives. This where the big powered docking stations by Caldigit and OWC score.

6. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Maybe so. I have done that once or twice with no issue but I doubted if it had USB-3 speeds. Maybe caused by my extension cable.
    I normally use it for my Time Machine back-up in the background and don't notice the speed. It is not fast, that I know.
    But it works with other things connected at the same time. Charging phone, usb sticks, eye-tv dongle etc

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I think if you were just transferring the odd file you probably wouldn't notice, but transferring large amounts of data tens of GB between drives, it would stop start grind to a halt etc.....or maybe the Aukey works better than the three similar I tried.

8. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Yes, I only transferred some 'odd files'. Not more than 10-15GB. Movies and documents. If you are interested I could try with a 50GB movie folder.

9. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Sounds good. Do you connect the extension cable from the rMB to the cable of the hub? Why not plug the hub into the charger and use the charger cable to connect the USB C from the hub to the rMB? USB C works both ways right?

10. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

I think I've tried that but it didn't work. The power went both ways but not the data.
    I found a usb-c female-female adapter which I connected to the Aukey hub (for it to become female) and than used a quality usb-c to usb-c charge/data cable. As I said: it works for my use but I am not so sure about the speed. I didn't bother because I use it for TM backups in the background. All other stuff works while backupping.

11. Kekinash macrumors member

12. irontiger82 macrumors member

I agree with the bottom line.

I had great experience with the CharJenPro USB C Hub when I connect 2 Western Digital hard drives, esp when I have the USB-C power cable connected to it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXKJC4M

13. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors 6502

Got the Hootoo hub, and works fine with 2 2tb USB hard drives attached WHEN CONNECTED to the charger. This includes transferring large amounts of data.

Not tried without the charger, as I am worried about the drives getting damaged. One without the charger works if course.

Only thing is that when you use it with the USB drives, the charging wattage drops to 24 watts.