Is this "Update" a joke? REALLY????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ekcivichb, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ekcivichb macrumors newbie

been waiting 5 months to get a new 13"...maybe even 15"..and they come out with this junk?? Why do they call it an update when they could just told us 5 months ago "you know what, in March, we will just do a slight spec bump"

no ssd for OS? not even a measly 16 gb?? not even a slight redesign (or half a pound lighter)??? no bigger trackpad?? worse battery life??

did they think people would satisfied with a quad core CPU....i dont even need that...and intel graphics..LOL...please.

this is complete and utter crap.

Time to check out the 2010 models...sigh :(:(

thanks for wasting my time apple, i could have bought this 5 months ago instead of using my POS PC...

2. laser71 macrumors regular

There is already another "is this a joke..." thread

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I think you are a joke.

Most people should care more about spec increases than the look of their computer. Who gives a hoot if it has a bigger trackpad? Quad-core processor on the other hand is a pretty huge increase.

4. UmichAg macrumors member

Seriously?

If you thought it was that easy for Apple to shave a 1/2 lb off the weight, don't you think they would've done it long ago??? There's a reason the weight of the MBP has been pretty asymptotic in its revisions.

5. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

then you should have bought 5 months ago, apple did not promise a complete redesign they did not even promise the update you based your assumption on the regular product cycle. And they released a spec bump which for the higher end is good lower end is ok.

But you have no one to blame but yourself if you needed a computer you should have bought one since there was no redesign or greater promise and now the 2010 models will be cheaper.

6. davie18 macrumors regular

No bigger trackpad? Are you serious? Why would they make it bigger? :confused:

Whats next? "Omg, why no 27" version macbook pro?????" ?

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I kind of feel bad for the people who have been holding out for several months to get a new MBP thinking the update was going to be significant.

As someone with a 2010 baseline 13" model I'm glad I got in on it when I did instead of waiting around for this one. The 30% reduction in battery life is eye opening alone.

8. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Same here. I guess I will be getting a MBA despite the processor. I just cant work with a 1200x1800 resolution and a 5400 rpm hard drive anymore. This is not 2006...

9. chiodo macrumors newbie

10. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Anyone who puts too much faith in rumors are always bound to be disappointed. This has always been the case especially with Mac updates.

11. teenheat macrumors newbie

i've been waiting since december, and i'll be very happy to order the new 15".
    it's not a "slight spec bump" in my opinion, but whatever.

12. sazza85 macrumors member

I don't feel sorry for the people who have been holding out for this refresh.

Looking back at the refresh in april 2010, it should be obvious that 'spec refreshes' aren't huge ones. It's a failure on doing significant research imo. Okay so this refresh has made the battery life worse, but hell it's still better than a windows PC and admittedly the CPU and Graphics have been increased, alebit not to the specification EVERYONE wants but you can't get everything the way you want it. An increase in power = more battery drain, unless you wanted a weight increase for a better battery then shhhhh!

13. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Hey OP, how easy do you think it is to just take a half pound off a computer? Have you ever seen the inside of a notebook? Big money goes into designing these things, so stop your complaining and be happy with what you have.

Here is a video that I think might apply to you.

14. Doneaux macrumors member

For people complaining on the battery being reduced, please read:

I prefer they're being honest, cause really, how many truly got 10 hrs of battery from the old 13"?

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

16. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

the responses in here are hilarious. When the MBA came out, the same people were like "who cares about the specs, its the experience". Now with the the MBP, its all about the "specs, and the quad core".

bunch of loonies ...

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

1280x800 is definitely the worst part of this update for the 13".

I was considering a "downgrade" to the 13", but no more because of the resolution.

Now I will probably consider the next MBA 11" revision and keep my 15" as a "desktop".

18. gigi11192 macrumors member

I totally understand how you feel, man.

take a look at what TUAW said,
    [In addition to these major updates, the MacBook Pro has seen some minor enhancements, too: the entire lineup has dropped in weight, and all models feature a slightly larger trackpad than before, ]http://www.tuaw.com/

but actually they are lying for APPLE. the weight did not go down a bit, but the battery did.

19. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

This would be a good time to get some great deals on the now older models. I think the OP needs to consider decaf.

20. alust2013, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

A joke? What were you expecting? That's not a slight spec bump. The higher end 13" has a better CPU than the best 15" you could get previously. The battery life is likely measured with the more accurate testing like the Air was measured with, plus they went from 25W CPUs to 35W CPUs, so it will naturally decrease a little bit. I'm pretty impressed that all of the 15s and 17s are quads actually, I hardly thought that the high end models would have quads. Plus there is actually a halfway decent GPU in the 15 and 17. No, it's not perfect, but I'd say it's a pretty solid revision. I'll buy the complaint about the 1280x800 though. You'd think that they would up it like the MBA.

21. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

this update is weak, you guys act like the OP is a complete moron, its time for sleeker macbook pro's. lay off him a bit.

friggin internet bandwagon bullies.

22. bukalemun macrumors member

I have been waiting since 1987. This really is a joke. This new slight update is barely faster than my Macintosh Plus. I won't change my computer just for the color screen now. Thank you Apple, I am reaaaally disappointed now!!!1!!1one

23. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

Anyone who's in disagreement with the OP may need their head examined. Fanboyism aside, this is an underwhelming refresh.

24. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Sleeker? So you want quad core and the form factor of the MBA? I think you'll be waiting a little while. It's by far the most compact "Pro" type notebook out there. I think you're waiting for a refresh of the MBA.

Haha, thank you. This is what always happens after a refresh.

25. aCondor macrumors 6502

And how many times do you think Apple can take half a pound from its laptops before they weigh nothing at all?

For the 13" it is nine times. Now lets assume that an update will occur once per year. In 2021, do you think laptops will weigh less than a feather? Will you be able to throw them to a buddy like a Frisbee? Get real.