Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I think you are full of crap. I've paid for that Gogo in flight airplane wifi multiple times and I couldn't even connect to my Slingplayer, Netflix, or Stream to Me. I basically could only use the web and email. Anything that required bandwidth was unusable.

In hotels I've had great connections but more often than not the wifi sucks.

I could get by on 8GB on my iPad mini as I use it only for the web, email, Facebook, twitter, messages, ect...

For my iPad I've got tons of games and movies which almost maxes out my 64 gig iPad. With games taking over a gig you can easily use up 64 gigs.

Now regarding streaming services like Spotify. I have Spotify and really like it but if you don't have unlimited data it will eat up your data and leave you with a huge bill

See image. No crap here. Just burned 150K on two first class tix so I'm down a few miles. I am too lazy to pull up my miles on American, which are plenty as well.

Anyway, I do have unlimited data on my ipad so that does help. Gogo is awful for streaming, in fact they have it blocked. I never said that was a solution. Not sure where you got that from.

Tenth time: I want a bunch of data too, but the market does not... You really have to look at how the masses are using these devices, not nerds like us on a message board.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-16 at 11.04.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-16 at 11.04.10 PM.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 136

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
SD cards have two modules in them. 64GB SD cards are 2x256Mb, just like Galaxy Tabs and iPads.

So do the new ones. There's nothing bigger to put in them yet.

Somebody has to make them first. That's like saying that the last iPad already had LTE, so the next one should have something faster. There's not some conveyor belt magically churning out new technology. Sometimes you hit a limit that takes a few years to get past.

I'm talking MicroSD here, not normal SD. The old iPad ha 2 physical memory chips in it. The new ones have one.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Wi-Fi+Teardown/2183/2

Old iPad, step 16, 2 physical chips

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+3+4G+Teardown/8277/1

iPad 3, step 19, 1 physical chip, room for 2

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Teardown/11462/1
iPad 4, 1 physical chip

Are you trying to tell me apple couldn't put 2 physical 64gb chips if they wanted to?

If Sandisk can hock class 10 MicroSD 64gb cards to the public for $40, I think apple charging me $200 for a "high end" model can do a little bit better with its current offering!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

The market will soon be craving larger capacities like 128GB, simply because of all these BLOAAAAAATED Retina-HD apps, especially games.

And the developers are now jumping on the "universal" app bandwagon. This alone has led to many apps being "updated" to Retina/HD capable and thus the app size has suddenly doubled (or more) in size.

nonns

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Look... everyone WANTS a gazillion GB on the iPad so that it can serve as a tablet AND a removable hard drive, but that's not what Apple wants it to be. Costs aside, the average consumer does not want what WE want as enthusiasts with lots of digital media.

I agree that it would be nice, but the market is not asking for what we would want. Thus, I refer back to my original thought: 64Gb is good enough in Apple's minds for how they perceive we use the devices in aggregate.

Actually I know of many people like myself (technology literate reasonably well off 30-60 year olds with large music and now video collections) who travel a lot to places which are not best served by 3 or 4g or gprs connections or wi fi thus eliminating the cloud as a data source who would be prepared to spend quite a lot of money to get iPad's and iPod's with large storage capabilities. Right now I am considering a seagate 500gb wifi enabled hard drive as an option.

Until mobile data is cheap and universal mobile cloud use is a non starter for any sort of a seamless experience. Certainly not when data roaming charges can reach £6 per MB and reliability is in question e.g. In Northern UK for example, mobile data connections can be poor to non existent. in the South I can't get a continuous 3g signal between my home in the burbs and central London - Spotify sucks under these conditions.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I'm talking MicroSD here, not normal SD.
Yep. Still two modules:
http://bunniestudios.com/blog/images/microsd_lineup.jpg

The old iPad ha 2 physical memory chips in it. The new ones have one.
The 16GB models switched to one module. The larger sizes are still two:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ipad_3_logic_board_560-360x268.jpg
Are you trying to tell me apple couldn't put 2 physical 64gb chips if they wanted to?
2 physical 64Gb modules is 16GB. To get 128GB, you'd need four modules. There's a reason no one--Apple, Asus, Samsung, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, Motorola, no one--offers a 128GB tablet yet.
If Sandisk can hock class 10 MicroSD 64gb cards to the public for $40, I think apple charging me $200 for a "high end" model can do a little bit better with its current offering!
One has nothing to do with the other, and class 10 would be a step down in an iPad.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Yep. Still two modules:
http://bunniestudios.com/blog/images/microsd_lineup.jpg

The 16GB models switched to one module. The larger sizes are still two:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ipad_3_logic_board_560-360x268.jpg

2 physical 64Gb modules is 16GB. To get 128GB, you'd need four modules. There's a reason no one--Apple, Asus, Samsung, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, Motorola, no one--offers a 128GB tablet yet.

One has nothing to do with the other, and class 10 would be a step down in an iPad.

If this is the case, then iPhone would have 2 modules as well?

Also how come iPad 4 has only 1 space for memory chip and iPad 3 had 2 spaces? It just seems strange to me that we've been at 64gb for 2.5yrs now regardless of module density.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
The market will soon be craving larger capacities like 128GB, simply because of all these BLOAAAAAATED Retina-HD apps, especially games.

And the developers are now jumping on the "universal" app bandwagon. This alone has led to many apps being "updated" to Retina/HD capable and thus the app size has suddenly doubled (or more) in size.

most logical response yet. thank you, and I agree with the vector of app size

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
If this is the case, then iPhone would have 2 modules as well?
Yes.
Also how come iPad 4 has only 1 space for memory chip
It has room for two, as always.
It just seems strange to me that we've been at 64gb for 2.5yrs now regardless of module density.
Module density hasn't gone anywhere in 3 years. That's why all the flash manufacturers are dumping press releases around now about their current or upcoming capacity increases, because 2013 is going to be a growth year.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Yep, I'm at 61GB here. Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean that no one does. There is clearly demand for more storage even in the era of cloud services. Until cellular data is cheap and unlimited, there will be a demand for storage.

And when cellular data is everywhere and it is fast everywhere as well. I live in Michigan and this summer I went up north for about a week to the Upper Peninsula and there are many areas where there is absolutely no cell coverage at all so I put on a bunch of movies and tv shows to occupy my time since I knew that Netflix would not work the majority of the time. I do not see why they can not increase the storage capacity on their devices, unlimited data is way too expensive and I would rather pay $100 for twice the storage and not have to worry about going over in data if I do not have unlimited.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
if you guys wanna carry all your music then get one of those 250gb ipod's and be done with it. Otherwise pay about $1100 for an iPad with 128gb space.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Because you're looking at the 16GB model. See that frame for the heat spreader? The one that's twice the size of a NAND module? There's a reason for that.

I see a frame around the NAND chip, but I see components near it, so no room around it unlike the previous models which had space for 2 NAND chips, so where on the main board are you referring to?

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I see a frame around the NAND chip, but I see components near it, so no room around it unlike the previous models which had space for 2 NAND chips, so where on the main board are you referring to?
You see components under it, as you'd expect on a layered logic board crammed into a tight space. The iPad 4's logic board is virtually unchanged from the iPad 3. They're still using the same part numbers for the storage and in the same capacity. It's hard to find teardowns of the larger capacity models because most sites that do them only buy the cheapest versions of what they need.

Come on now. You can make this as complicated as you want to, but the fact remains that no one is shipping a 128GB mobile device yet because no one has enough suitable 512Gb modules to supply it.

Here's a 16GB (1x128) iPad 3:
6uEWRFLqI1YPMQHs.huge

And here's a 32GB (2x128) iPad 3:
ipad_3_logic_board_leak.jpg

16GB iPad 4 (1x128):
ipad4_logicboard_ifixit.jpg

Note the reserved space on the underside for the second module's connector. The Hynix part used in the 16/32GB models is a low profile (4-die stack) H2DTD. The only higher 4-die stack capacity is the 256Gb (32GB) H2DQE. There is no 4-stack 512Gb module yet available to allow a single-module 64GB version or a dual-module 128GB version.

The design, engineering, and production yield concessions to accommodate four modules or to use thicker modules aren't being made by any manufacturer. NAND producers have been focusing their efforts on other issues recently, most importantly cost and reliability. Increasing capacity means increasing number of layers or reducing the die size, which as I've said, had stalled out until recently.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If Apple wasn't pathologically obsessed with shaving off a tiny fraction of a mm off their devices, they could just put four chips in... Or maybe a MicroSD slot or two...

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
if you guys wanna carry all your music then get one of those 250gb ipod's and be done with it. Otherwise pay about $1100 for an iPad with 128gb space.

1) 250GB wouldn't hold my entire music library. Most of my music is lossless and I have 350GB worth of music

2) People don't want to carry multiple devices, I think they want all of their media in a single device.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
iCloud, Dropbox, SugarSync, ect...

are you using more than 60Gb? I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

Bingo. This idea that you need to drag every piece of data you ever made with you everywhere needs to go away.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
I don't need 128GB. But if there is 128GB, the base model will be 32GB which is great for me. :)

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
As a heavy iPad user, 64GB is way too little for me. I store movies/shows, music, digital magazines, and play games (some of them are 2GB each), so I find myself constantly moving stuff on/off my ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.