Is this worth it????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jasonrhcp, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jasonrhcp macrumors member

A business near me is going out of business and are selling their stack of mac pros.
    IT was purchased in January 2010 and has apple care until 2013.
    Quad core 2.66 Nehalem
    640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    8gigs of apple installed ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    18x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English)
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Operating System: 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

1900$$

Is this a good deal?? What are your thoughts?

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You didn't say how much you would be paying for it. I don't know if it's a good "deal" or not!

ie. The retail on an Apple refurbished units with those specs is about $2199

3. jasonrhcp thread starter macrumors member

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes it's a good deal also considering the fact you have Applecare until 2013. Go for it!

5. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a good deal..

How much is IT going to sell it to you for? Please note: Ward and I have the same single-quad core mac pro.. mine was originally a 2.66 and his is a 2.93, however... I went one step further.. I upgraded my processor to the W3580 which is apple's top of the line going for 3300.00!!

And you can also do the same as well.. so while the machine sounds like a great deal, you just need to beef it up a little. get rid of the GT120 and replace with a 4870 HD, or GTX 285.. also, see if it has built in airport. Refurb machines and mostly newer ones usually don't come with airport installed unless you request it through BTO(new mac pro), but refurbs don't usually come with it. However, Ward was lucky as the person who originally owned the machine got airport installed. Apple didn't bother taking it out.

Ram looks good.. 8GB is nice, though you will get better performance if you install memory in 3's rather than 4's. DDR3 is triple channel for faster performance, though many suggest on here that you won't notice the difference if you have the 4th slot filled or not.

Lastly, consider the w3580 or i7-975 processor.. both can be had for under 600 from velocitymicro.com - thats where I got mine and it runs great. Please note: if you go the desktop i7 route, you will need to remove ecc memory as ecc isn't supported on the i7.. w3580 is xeon and the existing memory can be used.

If they are selling it to you for under 2000.00, I'd grab it. Refurb cost me 2199 + shipping and tax. At least you don't have to worry about shipping or tax.

6. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hey..

What version of snow leopard came with your mac pro?? I have two grey disks: one says - applications dvd AHT 3A132 and another says snow leopard(mac os x install) 10.6.2 - yours came with 10.6.4 though how can this be since I got my mac pro a few weeks behind you got yours?

Is it a big deal or should I order the newer disks from Applecare? I can lie and say I lost them and attempt for a free set, or I can say my refurb didn't come with any disks..

Also, does your 10.6.4 have the kexts for the Radeon 5xxx series?

7. jasonrhcp thread starter macrumors member

Airport is not installed. Is the apple wifi airport card the only one that is compatible or is there another way. I was thinking about upgrading processors but not in the near future.
    Thank you for the advice.

8. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Shucks!!! well, the good news:

Go to any Apple store.. tell them you would like to purchase the airport card.. its 49.00 and install is 30.00, but I'd schedule install unless Apple can do it that same day.. You can also get USB wireless adapters, but they are flaky and not really any faster, though www.afterthemac.com claims theirs is much faster than airport. I had one of their products but sold it due to the fact my mac pro now has airport.

upgrading the processors is really easy.. on the single's that is and that is what you have..

The duals.. well? Are another story..

9. jasonrhcp thread starter macrumors member

10. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I know.. mine did also.

I was asking Ward, as he just got his mac pro.. I believe the grey disks say 10.6.4 on it, though mine say 10.6.2- don't know if there is any real major difference here or not.

What do your disks say?

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Mine came with 10.6.2 installed, and 10.6.2 discs. I did the Software Update and downloaded OS X 10.6.4 and updated the day I got the machine. When it came to me, it had 10.6.2 loaded. Just like yours.

12. Roman23 macrumors 6502

ok.

I guess 10.6.4 isn't in retail format as of yet..

so, you and I have the same stuff, same manuals..

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It would be a bad idea to pass it up. Go for it!