Is this year Apple's messiest launch week roll out?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
This is my first time participating in new apple products on launch week and most everyone here and people i know in real life are having issues with getting their phone or watch today.

Someone from experience, is this Apple's messiest launch week or were there others in the past that were worse?

EDIT: I am not an affected party. Just asking out of curiosity 😉

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
What exactly is messy?

I was able to place my order on the 10th with no issue. It is presently out-for-delivery and I'm watching the UPS truck's progress via UPS's Follow My Delivery map.

ThereisnoLisa:onlyCube

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
What exactly is messy?

I was able to place my order on the 10th with no issue. It is presently out-for-delivery and I'm watching the UPS truck's progress via UPS's Follow My Delivery map.
I have been able to follow the truck's progress in the past, but can't seem to find where to do that today. Wonder what I'm doing wrong...

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
two friends in real life who preordered on day one aren't getting it today 🤷‍♂️

look at message #2 on this thread, ive been seeing that a lot today
Seems about on par for what I've seen in prior years. Sucks for the people individually affected, though, which perhaps is coloring the perception.

Reactions: rosegoldoli

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
I placed my orders seamlessly, 1 has been delivered, the other is on the truck to my house. Websites were always fast and responsive and it seemed they had reasonable stock to allow for orders if you were ready at launch.

Dstopsie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
This is my first time participating in new apple products on launch week and most everyone here and people i know in real life are having issues with getting their phone or watch today.

Someone from experience, is this Apple's messiest launch week or were there others in the past that were worse?

I don’t think this launch is messy at all. Apple tells you when your item will be delivered when you order it. And chances are they try and beat their own delivery dates and many times they’re successful. So I’m not sure you are of your particular situation why you think it’s the messiest ever and yes there have been far worse where my phone one time wasn’t even delivered till Saturday

I placed the order for my watch within three minutes of the keynote ending and I was able to place the order for my new iPhone Pro Max within two minutes of it going live. both of my items are here locally and out for delivery already and I’m hoping they make good on their commitment date of today for delivery

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Interesting..so this is normal for launch day?
- - Post merged: - -

I don’t think this launch is messy at all. Apple tells you when your item will be delivered when you order it. And chances are they try and beat their own delivery dates and many times they’re successful. So I’m not sure you are of your particular situation why you think it’s the messiest ever and yes there have been far worse where my phone one time wasn’t even delivered till Saturday
im asking out of curiosity 😅 people seem to be getting a bit stand offish on the question

Reactions: PrettyWings

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Apple Watch launches typically never have that many issues, as most seem to pre-order as it is, unless you live near an Apple store. The iPhone, is a totally different story, as there’s far more notoriety that follows that specific device on launch day versus the Apple Watch. However, when the first Apple Watch launch in April 2015, _that_ was a disaster.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It's certainly been much better than:
  • 2010 where a white model of the iPhone 4 was announced but didn't ship.
  • 2013 where the gold iPhone 5S was impossible to find, and IIRC, there was no launch day delivery stock, nor in-store reservations, for the gold. You had to queue up.
  • 2014 where the Plus was likewise very scarce.
  • 2016 where Plus models were even more scarce, and the model that Apple advertised most heavily - jet black Plus - wasn't available anywhere on launch day.
This year supplies are pretty good overall.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Apple Watch launches typically never have that many issues, as most seem to pre-order as it is, unless you live near an Apple store. The iPhone, is a totally different story, as there’s far more notoriety that follows that specific device on launch day versus the Apple Watch. However, when the first Apple Watch launch in April 2015, _that_ was a disaster.
ooooh what happened during the apple watch launch day?

ThereisnoLisa:onlyCube

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
It shows on the My Delivery Planner calendar from UPS My Choice - Try https://wwwapps.ups.com/mcdp/?loc=en_US

Alternately try this URL, fill in your tracking # after the = https://www.ups.com/wmd/map/request?z=
Hmm, shows up as unavailable for my tracking number. Oh well, thanks for the help!

It shows on the My Delivery Planner calendar from UPS My Choice - Try https://wwwapps.ups.com/mcdp/?loc=en_US

Alternately try this URL, fill in your tracking # after the = https://www.ups.com/wmd/map/request?z=
Hmm, shows up as unavailable for my tracking number. Oh well, thanks for the help!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
There weren't any.
Nope, that wasn’t it. Actually, quite the opposite, the aluminum was plenty available on launch day, what happened was, there was no stainless models available, even for those who pre-ordered, weren’t receiving their stainless models. I mean, there were forum members who were expected to receive their stainless model on launch day, and didn’t receive it until three months later. That was the problem, Apples ordering queue system trajectory was off. [ Oh, not to mention, there was no accessories that were available on launch day hardly at all either, everything from watch bands to chargers were already sold out.]

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
[ Oh, not to mention, there was no accessories that were available on launch day hardly at all either, everything from watch bands to chargers were already sold out.]
you know i never expected the general public to buy the $50 watch bands until me myself has seen the light. to be sold out on launch day is insane (always preorder ur bands ppl!)

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Interesting..so this is normal for launch day?
Yes it's normal that with tons of orders, some number of them will have a hiccup.

Is that number greater this year than in prior years? Dunno. Doesn't seem like it, but difficult to say for sure since we don't have any way to see real verifiable numbers.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
My personal favorite was the year they screwed up the signature pre-authorization with ups, which meant that anyone who wasn’t physically present to sign for the package had to drive to their nearest UPS hub and wait for hours if you still wanted it on launch day. Now that was a zoo. That was iPhone 6 if I remember.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
The first year was crazy because everyone wanted one, and they sold out damn fast (especially anything black), and some of the popular models didn't even start shipping until months later. So ordering, shipping, and pickup were chaotic. I managed to order a stainless steel space black with stainless steel black band for its November launch day, because I was up at 3am to order as soon as they became available, and those versions became such a hot commodity I sold the order for like $600 extra, and used the extra money to get an aluminum space black with leather band for "free" (I decided the stainless steel was more expensive than I should spend at the time).

Reactions: Brookzy

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Ups didn’t get my phone on the truck this morning, and their website said the cc was only open Monday through Wednesday, so I raced over to the cc and one of the workers grabbed it out of the pile and let me sign for it. So a bit of stress but not much of an issue.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Nope, that wasn’t it. Actually, quite the opposite, the aluminum was plenty available on launch day, what happened was, there was no stainless models available, even for those who pre-ordered, weren’t receiving their stainless models. I mean, there were forum members who were expected to receive their stainless model on launch day, and didn’t receive it until three months later. That was the problem, Apples ordering queue system trajectory was off. [ Oh, not to mention, there was no accessories that were available on launch day hardly at all either, everything from watch bands to chargers were already sold out.]
Absolutely no first gen Apple Watch models were in plentiful supply at the start, regardless of finish, although yes the stainless was worse off, and the Space Black did not ship until late June. From the get go, the best you could get in any size/finish was "Delivers: 24 April - 08 May" making it the first (hard) Apple launch in modern times where no models were 'guaranteed' (for want of a better word) for launch day delivery.

Many, including myself, hoped for launch day delivery (and I got lucky with a stainless arriving 24 April) but no one ought to have expected it with that delivery estimate.

There was also no in-store stock at all, no reservations and no walk-ins, until June, with the exception of some one-off boutique stores. So I can't see how there were "plenty available".

Hence my summation, "there weren't any".

The first Apple Watch was late, but still shipped before the supply chain was ready, because it was as late as possible while still technically meeting the "early 2015" promise. It spoke volumes that watchOS 2 was announced just two months after the first models landed in customers' hands.