Is using a MBPro as a desktop with Cinema Display hard on it? (runs warm)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Turnpike, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I just got a 27" cinema display, and LOVE how I can use my 2015 MBPro 15" as a desktop and take it with me when I need to. But it's the first time in the 2+ years since I got it (new) that I ever felt it run warm (not hot, but warm) and I assume it's because of the monitor its powering... I don't use it for any heavy programs, mostly just text and browsing.

My question is, if running the MBPro for 10 hours a day like this, is it hard on the laptop? Should I worry about it feeling warm or is this something it's made to handle easily. Maybe someone else who does this a lot knows of a reason I shouldn't make this a long term set up.... or maybe it's OK?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's absolutely normal and fine for a computer to get warm during use, it's basic physics to do with thermodynamics. Anyway, it will get warm, it won't get too hot as it will automatically shut down should it ever reach this temperature (Which is unlikely unless there is a serious fault on the machine, and the fans are blocked, and you're in a sauna).

You won't damage the computer as it's designed to be used, and so heat is a result of that use.

3. leman macrumors G3

Video output in a MBP is connected to the dGPU, so yes, it will produce more heat when used with an external monitor.

4. leman macrumors G3

5. project_2501 macrumors 6502

I've been trying for week to get Apple to agree.

6. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

I've got a late 2013 15" with dGPU. I run either 2 24" 1080 displays or 1 27" 1440 depending if I'm at work or home. My fans hit full regularly with the 2 1080 monitors. I've been running this setup for about 18 months without failure yet. I have had mine replaced due to GPU failure twice before and that was running lower resolution displays. I wouldn't worry about it, I think my failures were more to do with encoding 800 movies