Carrier Is Verizon rMini LTE universal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tpm1999, Nov 14, 2013.

1. tpm1999 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have ordered a Verizon Retina Mini with the hopes of putting the free 200MB tmobile sim in it.

Is the Verizon Retina Mini's LTE universal to all carriers similarly to the new iPad Air?

2. jeme macrumors regular

I believe it is, I have a sprint mini LTE and am using another carrier SIM.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Yes. I put a TMobile SIM in my wife's Verizon Mini last night. Works perfectly.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, all iPad Air models and rMini models are LTE universal and SIM unlocked.

5. turbineseaplane, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Anyone in here tried an AT&T Prepaid SIM in one of the new iPads?

Mine isn't working (use it with my iPhone 5s) unfortunately.
    :-(

UPDATE:

My fault. Using the correct APN from http://www.unlockit.co.nz made all the difference!

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

But, again, even though the hardware is the same and is unlocked, Verizon and Sprint refuse to activate devices that aren't in their database. So if you're thinking of buying one, buy either Sprint or Verizon, depending on your preference. You can use a Sprint or Verizon iPad with T-Mobile and AT&T.

7. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Aren't the T-Mobile ones unlocked?

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

9. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yes, they're all unlocked. Verizon and Sprint just refuse to activate IMEIs of iPads from any other carrier.

It's not an iPad hardware limitation. It's not an iPad software limitation. It has nothing to do with the iPad itself. It's a Verizon and Sprint policy.

The end result is this (unless Verizon and Sprint change their policy):

Verizon iPad: Can be used with Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile
    Sprint iPad: Can be used with Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile
    AT&T iPad: Can be used with AT&T and T-Mobile
    T-Mobile iPad: Can be used with T-Mobile and AT&T

The exception is that if you secure a Verizon SIM card, and somehow get a Verizon iPad's IMEI, you can activate the SIM with that IMEI and then use it in any iPad Air. But you then wouldn't have the ability to use the Verizon iPad with Verizon, since its IMEI is already in use with a SIM in a non-Verizon iPad.

10. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. This is helpful. Does anyone have any tips for moving a Verizon iPad mini (last generation) to an AT&T shared plan? I understand that it won't be able to get LTE. The reps at the local store weren't any help.

11. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Verizon is the one to get even if you plan to use another carrier. Getting a non-Verizon mini onto Verizon is significantly tougher than taking a Verizon mini and putting it on another carrier.

For AT&T, T-mobile, you just need a SIM. For Verizon you need a SIM (difficult to get) and the IMEI needs to be on Verizon's "whitelist."

So I bought a Verizon model and will just plug in my T-mobile or AT&T sim.

12. tpm1999 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all of the replys. I have already ordered the Verizon rMini and have recently gotten a free prepaid unactivated nano sim (I dont have a tmobile account yet).

My understanding is that I simply swap out the sim, boot it up and then register the tmobile sim through the ipad (for the free 200 mb)?

13. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

This assumes you never want to use Sprint. Sprint's 2GB for $15 postpaid plan is pretty attractive, and to me, the quality of the network is somewhat less important on a tablet than with a cell phone. The biggest annoyance is dropped calls, which aren't an issue.

With a Sprint iPad, it's possible (but hard, as we've discussed) to activate on Verizon. With a non-Sprint iPad, as far as I know, it's impossible to activate on Sprint.

I believe Sprint's activation system is more like the old CDMA model, which ties in directly to the hardware's IMEI. Verizon, on the other hand, is more like GSM, which ties in to a SIM card (Verizon requires a whitelisted IMEI to activate a SIM, though).

----------

Yep. I popped in a T-Mobile Nano-SIM to my Sprint iPad Air, and I could subscribe to the free 200MB just as if I owned a T-Mobile iPad. You just choose all the $0 options, it won't ask for a credit card, and you're good-to-go.

14. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Yes, this is a good point...I neglected to mention Sprint. In my area it's not the best option so I did not consider it.

Thanks.

15. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

If all goes well, that's exactly what I'll be doing today.

Just ordered a Verizon rMini for pickup this afternoon. Nano sim from TMo should be arriving any day now. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to use the TMo sim in the Verizon rMini just fine to get the free 200MB.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You will. I did it last night. Turned on LTE, turned of WiFi and opened a new tab in Safari. I was redirected to the T-Mobile sign up page. Didn't have to enter any payment info.

17. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation.

18. macornomac macrumors 6502

Ok this maybe a dumb question but here goes. If I get a verizon lte ipad I can use att and tmobile sim in it. I now have service with Sprint and have an iphone 5. Will my sim in my iphone 5 work on the ipad? Or can I get a sprint ipad and use my sim from the iphone for it? Any answers greatly appreciated.

19. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

The exception part is not true. I switched my sim from my mini to my AT&T retina mini and online it recognizes it as a different device, just doesn't know what it is. In fact the details only have information about the sim. Once you have an active sim, that's all you need. Verizon can tell when you switch devices.

20. macornomac macrumors 6502

Any help on this one?

21. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

So, to confirm, you *are* able to activate a new SIM on your old Verizon iPad mini?

22. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Yes you are. As soon as you move your sim to a new device, Verizon's database no longer ties your old iPad to your account. Your account is only really tied to the sim.

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

He just transferred the SIM. It was already activated on a Verizon iPad and once it's activated, it should work on different devices as long as it's not locked to a specific IMEI (AT&T actually does this with some of their prepaid phone+SIM packages). You can use the same Verizon IMEI on any number of SIM cards just for initial activation and then move the activated SIM cards to Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile or international iPads.