Is Waiting for WWDC Worth 2 Weeks of Computer-less-ness?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kpark42, May 17, 2009.

  1. appleguy123 macrumors 604


    Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    its worth waiting because you purchase will immediately depreciate in value and when you want to sell it would be worth less. also it will be more future proof if you dont want to sell. and two weeks w/o a computer isnt too bad, trying getting a new hobby or connection with nature those two weeks will pass in no time
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003


    See, I cans follow directions. :D

    There won't be new Macs at WWDC. A typical small speed bump and larger hard drive is all we'll get sometime after WWDC.
  3. gan6660 macrumors 65816


    Aug 18, 2008
  4. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002

    WWDC will be more about Snow Leopard and when it will be released. Of course this will generate the should I wait for Snow Leopard threads. :)

    To the OP, I would suggest that if you need a computer then get it. If you can wait, or it is merely a want, then wait.
  5. zer0tails macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2008
    i'm surprised you still felt the need to start a thread after having read every relevant post on the forum. You should be bursting with information by now.

    I doubt there will be speed bumps. Is 2 weeks of computerlessness worth it? Depends, it is not for me as I use my computer for making $$

    Since you're a college student, I would simply wait for the free ipod deal. Now that would be worth it.
  6. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502


    Apr 5, 2009
    Guarantied iPod deal = worth the wait
    remote chance of updates before you die of boredom ≠ worth the wait

    updates are more likely to come soon after WWDC, so you wont get much as far as updates, but you will get an iPod(touch, right? I know my brother got that last year, then gave it to me:D:D:D). So, even if you don't need the iPod, it could sell for a good deal on ebay. More green in your pocket is good when dealing with Apple:D
    So I would advise you hold out until about July(if you have enough self restraint, that is). I recommend you kill some time reading some books and being social until you get your MB. You'll be glad you did:) hopefully...
    SG :apple:
  7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Feb 12, 2008
    How do you know?! I know they did that last year. Typically they do this to clear out stock when revisions to the iPod line up are imminent. Which they might do again this year. I just wouldn't hold off that long on something you might need based on this.

    Totally agree! Get it if you need it or really want it. They may announce a speed bump at WWDC but then you will have to wait for them to hit the stores. Your wait could end up being a month or more.
  8. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    The rule of thumb is if you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait. You've already answered your own question.

    Get out of the living quarters. Take some walks. Enjoy fresh air and nature. Walk to the library and use the computer there if you need to. While you're there, check out a couple of books. Sleep in.

    You're young, and you have the rest of your life to spend hunched over a computer screen. Take advantage of the time you've got now to just enjoy life. Wait for June's WWDC and the back to school special like some have previously suggested to get the most bang for your buck.
  9. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    May 6, 2009
    I'd wait just because of the back to school offers.
    I don't trust in updates in this period of the year.
  10. macjram macrumors 6502a


    Dec 20, 2008
    Even if you buy a refurbished macbook, do students still get the free iPod?
  11. JDee macrumors 6502a

    Aug 31, 2008
    No, they don't - I think you already asked this.

    I also am waiting to buy a MacBook for all of the reasons mentioned above.
  12. macjram macrumors 6502a


    Dec 20, 2008
    Yeah I did haha, today is the last day for me to decide.

    Thanks tho.
  13. Mr. Owl macrumors newbie

    Mr. Owl

    Feb 17, 2009
    Gotta say, kpark42, that in your situation I'd definitely wait. Even before I read the posts suggesting that a free iPod might be coming your way for waiting.

    If you don't have anything pressing to do and you won't be missing out on schoolwork, work, or anything life-affecting... why not wait? Whether or not you get significant speed or spec bumps, it's only two weeks. Worth the chance.
  14. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502


    Feb 24, 2003
    Everyone says if you need it get it, if it's a want, wait. I'd add to that, if it's a want that you're infatuated with, and you've got the kind of personality that won't let go, get the dang thing and be done with wasting your time reading threads and humming and haaaing about it. Then get on with the rest of life that's been blind-sided by the question. That said... maybe I'll quit reading forums about an issue that I am not currently making any decisions on.... and get on with it myself.
  15. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

    Apr 29, 2009
    I think I need to take this advice myself...
  16. Macrovertigo macrumors member


    Jan 25, 2008
    Definitely wait, like they say you should take advantage of the break in routine if nothing else. And even if after waiting 'til mid-June, even if there turns out to be nothing new to affect your choice, you can at least have the smug satisfaction of having sensibly and shrewdly waited, lol.
  17. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    Rumor equals potential OLED display... wait.
    Possibility of better tech battery like 17" MBP... wait.
    Possibility of lower prices... wait.
    Possibility of speed bump upgrade to CPU... not worth the wait.
    Possibility of new features... maybe worth the wait.
    Nearly positive possibility of free iPod... wait.

    I would agree with others... unless you 100% need the MacBook now, WAIT it out. You could be greatly rewarded.

    Also do assume that it will not be updated at WWDC but much more likely either the week before or up to two weeks after... Apple has a history of both.

    Good luck.

Share This Page