Is waiting in line really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uberamd, Jun 8, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

As some of you may know, I decided to break my iPhone 3G the other day, and now that I am without a functional iPhone. BUT I qualify for a 2 year upgrade price on a new phone, thus this year I am actually curious about availability.

I got my EDGE iPhone months after it was released, same with my 3G, so I have no idea how readily available these things are. I see a lot of people saying they are going to wait in line for 24+ hours to get the thing, and to be honest thats not something I will do. So how available are the new iPhones generally? Is it something that you will need to wait a month+ for after the people without anything better to do wait in line for them hours on end to buy them all? Or are those waiting just that desperate to be the first to touch the new phone and a few days after launch supplies will be replenished?

I know its hard to say for sure, so I want to get everyones opinions based off prior launches.

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

For the 3G launch, I got in line around Noon on launch day, got my iPhone around 4PM. My friend was also getting one but didn't go on launch day, he had to wait like 2 weeks before he was able to get a hold of one.

To me, it is worth it. idk about 24 hours though, I didn't have to do that

ps.s I was at the Orland Park, IL Apple Store

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It really just matters where you are located. I've only seen 2 people in my city with iPhones since their release 2 years ago. I'm guessing that I won't have a line on launch day.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Supply will be plentiful. Demand will be the lowest of all three launches.

Walk in and get your phone. Screw the lines LOL.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I waited in line about 5 hours for the 3G and I would never, ever do it again. Ever. It was perhaps the biggest waste of my time in my entire life.

The fact that the new iPhone doesn't seem to be offering any new major features, coupled with the downturn in the economy should hopefully mean that demand is low and lines are short.

6. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am located in northern Minnesota, Duluth specifically. I doubt demand will be too high especially in my city (lots of old people and blue-collar workers), maybe it will be but we have AT&T stores, Best Buy, but no Apple store. I really want to get one ASAP, because not having a functional ear speaker on my phone requires bluetooth headsets, the microphone headphones, or speakerphone, total PITA. Maybe I will wait for a few hours.

I know you could just walk in and get the pre without the lines, even in a metropolitan city :)

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

All I know is, if I would have just gone to the AT&T store near me at the time they opened instead of waiting in line, there is NO WAY I would have gotten one that day as the people in line since 4 AM didn't even get one because they ran out before they got to those people.

It's all a matter of how patient you are.

8. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

It really matters where you're located. If you're in New York, you'll be in line all day. Smaller towns, shorter wait but less overall inventory. Personally I had a good time waiting in line for 4 hours, and made a couple friends along the way. Demand for this iPhone will rely heavily upon if they're letting 3G owners upgrade for a lower price. Also, there's no way of knowing at this point what their supply will be like. Although I'd predict it will be adequate, but not plentiful by any means.

9. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I agree; I think the lines will be minimal this launch because lots of people are under 2 year contract this time around unless ATT works out some kind of early upgrade plan for exisitng owners which I think is unlikely.

10. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

So now I need to come up with a masterful plan to convince my girlfriend to wait in line with me. THAT will be the hardest part.

11. matttye macrumors 601

I got my 1st gen iPhone a week or so after launch I think and was able to just walk in and buy. Don't think there were any queues on the release day either.. I guess we're not as crazy as you guys in the US :D

12. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I was out of town when the iPhone 3G was released, so when I got back they were all out of stock. It took be about 3 weeks to get one.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with natedog, if there actually is a new phone then I doubt you'll have issues buying it. I waited a couple of months though because I like to see what the crazy people bitch about.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree with this to some extent. The vast majority of people who were dying to get an iPhone have already purchased a 3G. Otherwise, you will be competing with the same demand that we have been seeing over the last 3 months (baseline demand), plus people who still have the original iPhone (not a huge contingent) and people who have sold their 3G to get the new iPhone (likely smaller than the original iPhone crowd). That said, I can see long lines the first day or 2, but nothing much afterwards.

15. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Has anyone ever tried calling around the day or two before its available for sale, asking about quantity? Are the retailers forward with that information or do they keep that on the hush hush and make you wait in line, crossing your fingers they have more than 2 in stock?

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, the two biggest reasons for lines for the iPhone 3G launch were the fact that it was the first time that Apple employees had to activate new iPhones before the customer left the store (so it was a new process for the employees -- slow them down), and the fact that both Apple and AT&T had "behind the scenes" technical issues with selling/activating that stopped most Apple stores from selling them for 30 minutes at a time during launch day.

Shortly thereafter, Apple put up a webpage where you can enter most of your information BEFORE you get to the Apple store, which helps the process go a lot quicker. You can also "make a reservation" and pick your own date/time to pick up the phone. Wonder if they'll still let people do that during the launch?

During launches, Apple keeps most of the inventory for its stores, and the last two iPhone launches, it had a webpage that showed which stores had inventory.

Apple stores will not give out availability information before the actual launch. Other retailers might, but Apple often times doesn't deliver the product until literally the night before.

17. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I convinced my girlfriend to come along by promising to give her my 3G;)

I've called the Apple Store near me (Towson Town Center, Towson, Maryland) a day before launch and they would give me no info on quantities. When I got to the store an hour or so before they opened they told everyone in line that they had "plenty" and that anyone that came to the store today looking for an iPhone would get one, so we could leave and come back if we wanted to. At that time there were about 50 people in line.

18. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

My girlfriend is on Sprint, so there goes that idea. There is no Apple store by me so I would need to call the AT&T store, or Best Buy. The employees at the AT&T store really bother me (they are all very smug and condescending), so I expect nothing from them. Maybe Best Buy, but I will probably just get there early, and if there is a line I will wait, if not I will just go into work for a few hours.

19. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

whats the difference between the ATT store and apple store when buying an iphone? I've seen lots of people saying "ugh i had to go to the att store" but I don't know why that's a bad thing.

20. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

The people there aren't friendly like the Apple folk, in my experiences anyway. Ask them to do anything for you, and the AT&T employee will sigh as if you asked them to change your tires or something. Plus the stores are generally smaller and don't carry as much inventory.

21. spookme macrumors member

I worked for O2 on the launch of 3G - We only found out two days before how many iPhones we would have in stock.

The day of launch we had a que outside the store and was able to see 30 mins before we opened that we didn't have enough phones to cover the launch. The following day we had another delievery which then brought some more people in.

O2's policy was NOT to discuss with anyone stock availability, but we knew there was an issue when an email from O2 came round the day before launch asking ALL staff to wait for an iPhone so that customers could get theres.

22. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i was first in line at my AT&T store, and only waited 3 hours before they opened. nothing was wrong with going there, other than the fact that they had some problems activating phones. they just ended up sending me home to activate it myself.

mark

23. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

how close are you to the homewood at&t store? we should meet up there for launch!

m

24. beeh macrumors regular

Tell her you'll buy her a Pre... :D

Then you can play with both.

25. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I personally never buy anything the day it comes out, I just don't need that kind of material gratification to make myself feel good and I also like to let other people work out the bugs, but I do realize that you are in need of a phone and therefore I would say that you should probably go the day of the release, but no real need to wait forever.

Just my thought. - Eric