Is Windows 7 faster than Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brandon263, Jul 9, 2010.

?

In your experience, is Windows 7 faster than Snow Leopard (on the same Mac)?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

I was just wondering what you guys think about this. I have both installed on my i5 Macbook Pro, and it seems that my Windows 7 installation is much snappier, especially in terms of playing video, opening and closing apps, etc, than my Snow Leopard installation is. (I installed the lastest NVidia video drivers from laptop2go.) Games of course are much faster - Civ 4 is faster on Windows, but videos seem more vibrant as well.

Is it just me or have other people also noticed this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's all in personal preference. They both have ups and downs. This war will be going on until the end of computing as we know it.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

In b4 flame war.
    No it is not. I also have installed them both on my i5 MBP and, without a doubt, Snow Leopard is faster and prettier but games are, obviously, better on Windows.

5. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

How are you qualifying "Snow Leopard is faster and prettier"? It seems that Windows has a slower boot time, but apps start faster and graphics (even outside games) are sharper and more vivid.

6. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Why is everybody in a hurry when using a computer?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Itunes is faster for me in win7 when importing and such.
    they both are fast and some apps run faster one one then the other. like firefox is faster on win7 then on a mac.
    My cad app is faster in straight win7 and manipulating files that I do all day.

8. Kristenn macrumors 6502

For me it's the opposite. Pictures and videos have always seemed to look brighter and more washed out to me in Windows, but in Mac OS X the color seems darker and more vibrant. As for opening and closing apps, I guess it depends on the app. iTunes and Safari on windows are dog slow for me compared to on Mac OS X. While Fire Fox is faster on Windows than on Mac OS X.

For me, opening a Explorer window and a Finder window is the same speed. As for stuff like moving files from USB or something, it always seems slower on Windows to me.

And yes, Flash works A LOT better on Windows. But everyone already knows that.

Anyway, I guess its personal preference. Windows 7 doesn't seem faster to me, if anything its the same. But pictures and movies always looked better on Mac OS X to me.

9. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting, I never thought of it like that.

10. RealaT macrumors regular

Both Operating Systems run at 3.06Ghz on my iMac

Seriously though I see no real speed difference overall between SL and W7. Both are good OS's

11. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it the same on your other (slower) machines?

12. RealaT macrumors regular

Pretty much the same on all my Macs. Each OS has it's plusses and negatives. W7 has a longer boot up time, but has better graphics card drivers for example.

I suppose it all depends on what you're doing and what applications you're running, that makes the real difference.

13. Vihzel macrumors 6502

It's really hard to tell without doing a direct side by side comparison with computers of the same specifications. Even then, it will vary widely with different programs. There's no "This one's faster for sure." Microsoft did make a HUGE improvement from Vista to 7.

14. jack123torr macrumors newbie

Photo & Video Editing

I have a 4 year old PC (was the best at that time). I do a lot of photo and video editing.

I want to invest serious money into a new PC or Mac.

Now, for the same money you can get a much stronger processor and graphic card on a PC.

So, for the same money will a Mac still be faster with, for example Abode Premiere? Or, for some extra money, will photo & video (Abode Premiere) editing will be a LOT faster on a Mac?

I mention Adobe Premiere, because it exists on both platforms while iMovie obviously not (and it is too basic).

Thanks