Is Windows really more stable than OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David58117, Nov 5, 2015.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

Sorry for the title, but I'm a little frustrated.

I bought a new 2015 15" rMBP about a week ago, and have been using Logic Pro X to record - yet I get crashes pretty frequently..this also occurs with PDF Reader - just from reading/annotating a textbook.

Also large textbooks can become choppy.

For the past half a year I've used a Surface Pro 3 connected to a dock, and have had zero issues recording audio. Also PDFs were smooth and didn't have the choppiness of the 15".

Is this an El Capitan issue? I love the computer, but really didn't expect windows to be more stable..

2. Cat5e macrumors member

OS X and Windows 8.1 and 10 are equally stable in my opinion. Which version of OS X are you using? El Capitan is more stable than Yosemite (generally speaking) so if you haven't upgraded I would recommend doing so.

3. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I updated to El Capitan and the latest build.

I'm using PDF Reader - I'm noticing it's when I have the textbook at or greater than about 75% size, that it gets choppy. I need to highlight, and last night when I saved after highlight maybe about 50 words, I had a beach ball and it froze.

I really just don't understand why a quad core with 16GB ram is doing that.

The same textbook on the SP3 doesn't do that, even after highlighting and writing in notes.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't know about Logic Pro X, but Im using EL Capt since the day one and yet have to see a single crash on 4 Macs from 4 different generations ....

5. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have choppiness with large pdfs?

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Not really, and I have a less powerful machine than your (13" MBP with 8 Gb).
    I'm working with quite large PDFs all the day (mostly ICAO documents). I don't use PDF Reader, but just the integrated viewer of OS X.

7. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I need one that allows highlighting, hence trying PDF Reader. I'll check if the default one does.

I'm actually going to try a fresh install and see if that helps. I'm wondering if my install of logic is one of the problems.

Thanks for your help.

8. schwadorf macrumors newbie

schwadorf

9. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

a week ago? talk to apple. that's not correct behavior. am running logic X as well, since the first public betas, and all is well. logic should not be crashing. what audio interface are u using? try disconnecting it, and running logic from the macbook's speakers...see if it's more stable.

what's happening for you is not a universal issue, it's an issue you're having. pointless to try to turn this into a 'windows vs os x' thread...

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Nowadays they're kind of equal, even if Windows still has ugly DLLs and Registries.

But that doesn't change the fact that Windows is still an ugly OS with a terrible legacy.

11. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not using an audio interface. Everything I do is with Midi and orchestral.

When I was getting the crashing, I was using score view to input notation. I was also downloading some of the "additional content." It also occurred when I imported .midi I wrote with other programs. I use NI Komplete Ultimate and have a few of those installed (obviously not all, I have the 256GB SSD)...after installing the additional content, I should of had a minimum of 30GB's free on the SSD.

Anyway, I uninstalled Logic and am going to skip the additional content and just use the NI instruments, after a clean install.

12. chevalier433, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015

chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Definitely,the last two OS X releases are nightmare,way far less stable than Windows 10.In the national tv station I work which stability and compability is our main priority our Mac pros are still in 10.8.5 and our dell workstations are updated to Windows 10 run faster and more stable than ever.Os x has even lost its basic functionality just google or check the forum how many people still have wifi issues.Last Updates its all about new emojis.

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It's always been that way with IT departments at professional environments. They'll stick with OS releases that are stable and tried and true. I still go to places and they are running Snow Leopard. Works fine for that particular environment.

But Apple doesn't care about anyone they do their own thing and people still adapt.

Look at Windows. Do you think people didn't have to deal with the crap from Vista to 7 to 8.0/8.1 and 10? Of course they do. At least Apple just updates the base of the OS, it's not as evolutionary as Windows which completely wipes out certain parts of the OS from each upgrade.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Try using skim for annotating PDF's it's pretty light on computer resources and I like it far more than PDF reader or preview.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall I find windows 10 and El Cap to be on equal footing. Both are very stable and very fast. I think the days of BSOD are long behind us, though people do incur them once in a while, just like people incur Kernel Panics in OS X once in a while.

Its all about personal preference at this stage, there are features that I think are superior in OS X, but conversely there are things that Windows does better. I use both all the time, though given my work, I'm in windows more then OS X.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

As an advanced user of both, I'd like to think I'm in a good position to comment. Lets just talk about the latest from Apple & Microsoft for a moment. Both Windows 10 & El Cap are brand new operating systems that are always going to have teething issues. With the last 3-4 releases of OS X, I always had a few annoying issues that didn't get resolved until Apple released some patches or .1 or .2 updates. El Capitan so far (for me) has been rock solid. I'm very impressed with how everything works flawlessly, even if OS X is starting to show its age.

Lets get this our the way and make this very, very clear. At the end of July Windows 10 was not ready for release to the public. It was rushed and still to this very day contains many bugs & issues but none of them are really critical or show-stoppers. I've been a Windows Insider and use Windows 10 on my main PC at home and my machines at work. I can put up with a few little issues because Windows 10 is a magnificent modern operating system that will eventually get the spit & polish it deserves next week when Microsoft release the long-awaited update.

I use both Windows & OS X extensively and neither of them are any less stable than the other. I think Apple's decision to take Yosemite and really optimise and improve it in the guise of El Capitan was the correct decision. El Capitan didn't need tons of new features, it just needed to tweak & improve everything from Yosemite and Apple have succeeded. In my opinion it's the best release of OS X ever. From next week Windows 10 will almost be the Windows 10 Microsoft promised everyone. The update should correct most of the issues that piss people off so from that point of view its a job well done and next year the Redstone update should enhance everything about Windows even further.

Whether you choose OS X, Windows or both like me, you'll get a very good operating system, providing you clean installed of course. The people with weird issues are the ones who simply upgraded.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

These days I'm finding Windows to be equally as stable as OS X. At home I have Windows 10 in a VM and at the office I am running Windows 8.1. Both versions are and have been running extremely well and efficient.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

OS's are as stable as the operator makes them

19. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

I finished the clean install last night, so hopefully the issue will be resolved.

I'm wondering if the additional content downloads are what was making logic have issues, I don't need them, so I'm going to skip them and install fewer NI apps to the SSD.

20. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

I disagree IMO. I can leave OS X with a year of uptime (not doing updates, not shutting off the Mac) and be as fast as I turn it on a year ago while Windoze would choke and freeze after just a month of uptime.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given your prior posts regarding windows, I'd go out on a limb and say you are not a windows user and thus your statement is made in ignorance of what actually occurs with windows.

I have Windows servers that have been up and running for months, I have an old windows 2003 server that has not been rebooted in many months. Its as fast/solid as ever.

22. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Different OSs, even if the base is the same. WinServer is used all over world. Windows will keep asking for dumb updates every couple of days and auto restart. The new one at least.

Windows is just a boring OS with terrible file management. I mean they still use Registries an DLLs.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Boring is not bad when it comes to operating systems ;)

As for file management, I much prefer Windows over OS X. Just look at the plethora of file managers that exist in OS X.

I can't tell you the last time I ever worried about DLL registration, I maintain numerous servers, enterprise applications and desktops and its been countless years since I had to deal with DLLs

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't know I can never work in Windows. The font management is terrible, the color gamut is horrible...just bad for work in general.

25. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

You're describing Windows as of a few years ago.

Windows 10 has been shaping up very nicely, and is great for laptop/tablet crossovers. The updates have actually been really good as well, and numerous bugs had been fixed.

Your comment about auto restart shows you haven't used it recently, as it schedules restarts and update installs overnight now.