Is your company allowing Exchange access?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewtypeCJ, Jul 14, 2008.

1. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

OK, now that we have this great phone that can access Exchange...there's the matter of companies allowing it to.

Where I work, IT is not supporting the iPhone and do not allow company email to be accessed on personal devices. (Yet, I can access Exchange webmail via Safari or on any computer that is not owned by the company.) Wondered if anyone else is sharing my displeasure with that. :'(

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I am in the military - Air Force and they are not allowing this either. Unless you are a Squadron Commander, Wing Commander or General, then you might be lucky enough to get it enabled for you (and by might be I mean you will). Other than that us peons dont get ****, or shall I say anything.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm one of the IT guys at my place, so yes it's working for me ;)

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Not sure why anyone want to "force" the company to allow you to work outside of work...

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Maybe this'll make you feel better. I work for AT&T as a Linux admin. I have no access to the windows servers that run our Exchange software, and I have heard no word from them whatsoever as to if we can get direct exchange access. My guess is no.

So, like I said, hope it makes you feel better. I work for AT&T ITO, and don't even get this feature.

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I believe that since you have outlook web access than you can set you phone up yourself. The ability to access Outlook Web means your profile has the Mobile User option turned on. All you need is the mail address to plug in. Normally that address is: Mail.<yourdomain>.com (your domain would be your company name, and you leave out the symbols). After that all you need is your credientials which is your login and pass word.

7. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Not necessarily. Where I work, you need a security certificate to access Exchange via ActiveSync. I believe there is a way to get the certificate even if your IT dept won't provide it, but I haven't bothered to look since we officially support WM phones (and soon the iPhone) so we install the certificate as part of the setup for the users that ask.

8. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Seriously, I'm glad my company doesn't allow it.

9. NewtypeCJ thread starter macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

That does not appear to work.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The same certificate used in Outlook Web Access can be used with the iPhone. Just open up OWA in IE and save the security certificate... that's all I did, works fine.

11. mattpol macrumors regular

A big, resounding no. At my company (with over 80,000 employees), it's simple: Blackberry or nothing!

12. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I just entered in the same address as I enter in for web-based Outlook and it all popped up. Fairly painless for me.

My IT guy only supports Windows Mobile. I used my blackberry previously, now my iphone 3g. All is good.

Pay close attention to how you type in your user name when you use the webbased outlook. Some companies have a particular format. Follow it exactly.

13. dauerhippo macrumors regular

Can you explain this a little further? How do you save the certificate, and then how would you get it onto the iphone?

My school allows OWA, and supports WM phones, but not iPhones, and I can't get exchange to verify on the iphone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

Nope...

I need a CAC Card reader to login my OWA. I doubt apple makes CAC Card readers for the iphone...lol

Gotta love new technology... who ever thought I would need my Military ID Card to log into a computer or OWA.

15. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

My firm allows OWA, but requires login using an RSASecurID token. They refuse to support anything but blackberries.

16. mattpol macrumors regular

I'd love an explanation, too! My company allows OWA (login is a username and static password, no RSA Token), but won't support my iPhone. Is this really a workable solution?

17. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

Our company is actually going to begin replacing the current BB, as the accounts expire, with the iPhone. We have set-up an account with AT&T and they're beginning to get things going on our side.

18. GNice macrumors 6502

Can't believe it, but my company is supporting it! With the 1st generation they were adamantly opposed supporting it. Glad they have changed their minds. It's working like a charm!

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Uhh...perhaps that's because 1st generation iPhone doesn't support ActiveSync?

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My company is supporting it and it's awesome!

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Scott..

Can you go into a little more detail on this? My company has a web based outlook.

22. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

First I tried using my server that my outlook has in account settings, and it did not work.

Once you enter your web version (mail."your company name".com), then in the address bar you can see "server name.company name.com/exchweb. I used the server name in the Microsoft Exchange set up for server name and it works great.:)

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Our notoriously anti-Mac, "if-it-isn't-a-Blackberry-don't even-think about-asking" company sent out an all-hands email a week or so ago announcing they will support ActiveSync on iPhones. Woo hoo!

24. ksz macrumors 68000

Holy crap! Thank you for suggesting this. My company supports OWA and my first-generation iPhone with FW 2.0 is now working nicely with our corporate Exchange server. Have only read emails so far (haven't sent any yet).

Edit: Email sending also works fine.

Edit2: My colleagues with Windows Mobile PDAs tell me this is standard procedure for them.

25. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Working fine for me, though the official company policy is no support for non-blackberry devices.

iPhone 3G is working just fine w/ Exchange.. it gets e-mail before outlook does.