Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

is your diet 100% organic?

• yes, organic or die!

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • i try to eat organic, but not 100% due to availability, price, etc.

Votes: 41 53.9%
  • life is too short to restrict yourself to organic food!

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • what is organic food?

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
i'd say roughly over 60% of my diet is organic. as a college student; however, i find it hard to eat 100% organic. for example, food on campus isn't organic. while i tend to bring my own protein bars instead of eating campus food, these bars are only partially organic. i've have yet to find an organic energy bar that contains 20g+ of whey protein. also, most of the sweet stuff that i consume - i.e. chocolate milk and tofutti vanilla cuties, contain corn syrup that isn't organic.

i understand the importance of eating organic food. but i just find it ironic that while i'm eating $$$ omega-3 enriched organic eggs, i'm also eating two pounds of non-organic chicken breasts everyday. but that's mostly my fault, cos i'm too lazy to cook and rely on trader joe's frozen entrees. :eek:

if you are eating 100% organic, how do you find the time to do it?

P.S. i found a similar thread, but i thought i'd start a new one since that's an '06 thread.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i'm not at 100% organic yet, but slowly and surely, we're getting there (probably in the 70's right now). yeah, organic food costs more, but it's worth it in the long run, especially when you find out what's in the non organic stuff. we shop at publix greenwise (publix organics store locally) which has a high stock of organics in supply. i say the usda logo is a good place to start, if the product has that logo, at least 95% of the product is organic. there are frozen entrees out there besides trader joes that are organic, like kashi in target stores. i'm not a fan of protein bars personally, but there are organic chocolates and sweets out there in those type stores (i'm not sure where you live, but whole foods is another good option). and in today's world, i would say it's almost impossible to eat 100% organic, although you can get pretty close to it by making the right choices.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm not 100% organic, I don't eat organic cuz of healthiness or what not, I just eat them because they taste better than processed food.

But if there's a food I like and there's no organic counterpart that's cheap (like at Trader Joe's), then I have no problems eating that.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I might like to point out that in todays world if it was not for non organic food we could not feed everyone.

I do eat some stuff organic but it honestly cost a heck of a lot more. Now it does taste better. Personally I am with trying to find a local farmers market. The food there taste better and is more times than not the same price to cheaper than the local grocery store.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This just in: everything in life will kill you. Stop worrying about eating organic/free-range/whatever. Just don't eat junk food and make sure you get a decent amount of water a day.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
Probably 5% of my food is organic. I bought my wife some organic syrup one time, and she complained that is wasn't as good as "regular" syrup. :p

I'm going to plant a small garden this year. The kids are looking forward to dad growing them some popcorn.

Go me! :D

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The problem is "organic" doesn't mean the product was "organic" it's entire lifetime. An example is according to the FDA chickens only have to be fed "organic" feed for a certain number of years to be called "organic". After that the farms can feed them all the hormones they want.

The problem overall problem is the FDA, which labels food, is supported by politicians who are supported by the major food companies.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I'm probably about 60% organic. Costco has recently started carrying more organic food so by buying in bulk the price difference isn't as huge. The ten pound bag of organic brown rice will probably take me a year to consume though!

I go to the farmer's market almost every Saturday and there's a mostly organic market nearby along with a Trader Joe's so it doesn't take a lot of effort on my part.

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
A little. I'll eat organic cereal (annie's cinnabunnies yum yum), nutrition bars, soy milk. I've had good and bad experiences with organic yogurt -- I do love Stonyfield farms though! I don't think it tastes any better or worse than Yoplait; I just like the lack of HFCS.

I don't eat organic fruit -- it is always shriveled and teeny compared to the 'regular' fruit and 3 times the price. Yea, sure, pesticides -- but I am not going to eat ANY fruit, organic or not, without washing it first anyway. Just because it doesn't have chemicals doesn't mean it's free from nasty germs from people touching it. So I'm not gonna pay way more for something that's half the size that I'm gonna have to wash anyway. Do you organic fruit folks still wash it?

Oh and I drink organic fair-trade coffee, but only because I get it for free (bf's roommate works at a coffee shop).

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I might like to point out that in todays world if it was not for non organic food we could not feed everyone.

I do eat some stuff organic but it honestly cost a heck of a lot more. Now it does taste better. Personally I am with trying to find a local farmers market. The food there taste better and is more times than not the same price to cheaper than the local grocery store.

We already can't (or at least, we don't) feed everybody. Lowering the amount of meat and dairy we consume while reducing subsidiaries for for the beef/chicken/dairy industry would increase the amount of land available to produce food for humans instead of the animals we eat.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Exactly 0% intentionally.

I'm poor and see no real reason to. Unless I'm eating in such a quantity that a bit of pesticides are gonna hurt me, then I don't desperately need to eat organic.

I'm much more worried about saturated and trans fats.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
75% and climbing.

separate/similar subject: dare you to go and look at the labels on most food in your house. in my opinion, more important that 'organic' is foods that do not contain 'hydrogenated oils' of some sort. in the US, it's insane. it's in ***** everything. it's in my mustard for 'insert deity heres' sake. if you're in EU, then you have a better chance of not finding it. lucky you.

it is oil that is 'processed' with hydrogen gas. more info: HERE. and yes, i know wiki is not the end all be all of info, but might be a good place to start.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
probably 60% or so. I eat tons of veggies and fruits, but not all are purely organic. enough chicken and tons of venison (big deer hunter here). I know some are against eating meat and to each their own, but at least that meat is free of chemicals and not pumped full of garbage to be made fat. au naturelle. nice and lean.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
75% and climbing.

separate/similar subject: dare you to go and look at the labels on most food in your house. in my opinion, more important that 'organic' is foods that do not contain 'hydrogenated oils' of some sort. in the US, it's insane. it's in ***** everything. it's in my mustard for 'insert deity heres' sake. if you're in EU, then you have a better chance of not finding it. lucky you.

it is oil that is 'processed' with hydrogen gas. more info: HERE. and yes, i know wiki is not the end all be all of info, but might be a good place to start.

Same.

It is disgusting, the amount of hydrogenated oils in almost everything we eat. I try to eat organic when I can, but if that option isn't available, I'll usually just stick to "natural" products without hydrogenated oils. Case in point: the peanut butter I eat. I eat natural peanut butter, but not organic. Mostly because the organic peanut butter is impossible to spread. But still, my peanut butter has only two ingredients: peanuts and salt.

I eat Laura Scudder's All Natural Peanut Butter (it's a west coast thing, I think). Comparing these ingredients to Skippy peanut butter:

Roasted Peanuts , Sugar , Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil to Prevent Separation , Cottonseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Soybean Oil to Prevent Separation , Rapeseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Salt

Gross. Gross. Gross.

Here's a solution to separation that occurs in natural peanut butter, and it is possible to achieve without the addition of four different kinds of oils: stirring.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
in addition to pesticide concerns like some of you have mentioned, there's also this genetically modified organism issue. our bodies do seem to be able to distinguish between GMO food and non-GMO food. for example, when a gene from A is transfered to B to enhance B (for better nutritional value, better resistance to pests, etc.), a person who is allergic to A will now also be allergic to B. but it would be hard to trace the allergy back to B because the person is never allergic to B, which is not required to be labeled as a GMO. in addition, some aspects of evolution are gene mutation and cross breeding. i just don't we have enough unbiased, long-term studies on how GMOs affect the ecosystems.

it5five - do you keep your PB in the fridge? i found that organic PB stays hard (no pun intended) as long as it's been in the fridge.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
All my veggies are from a local green grocers that stocks organic.

However I dunno about the other food, I just prefer to buy the veg of the day of eating due to freshness and as it is just around the corner it is easy.

Oh and Organic Weetabix are so much nicer than normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.