Is your iPad dim?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleHater, Mar 16, 2012.

1. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Just got the new iPad and I noticed the screen is pretty dim and I have to push past half to make it feel normal. With my iPad 1, I kept it at a quarter to one third point.

2. master21 macrumors newbie

i got my iPad in the mail and it was perfect for 1 to 2 hours. then i noticed the back was getting very hot and the right half of the screen was dim. then the screen went out altogether and won't power on. i called apple and was on hold 3 or 4 different times while i talked to different people. they finally put me on with some iPad god guy

he told me it was a new problem and they could not ship me a new one right a way. they are going to ship me a box and i have to send my iPad in and then wait for them to ship me a new one.

needless to say i was not happy at all with that. so to calm me down he offered me a 6' iPad cord or a iPod shuffle lol. i told him what i thought of the iPod shuffle very bluntly. he then offered me a iPod nano. i could see this was going nowhere so i took it.

they said i should get the shipping box monday and then who knows how long until i get my new iPad

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I guess I got lucky since none of the three I have are affected.

But I have a good friend who did get one of these defective iPads.

The good news is with no lines and plenty of stock, the local Apple store gave him a replacement. They checked it in the store and it's fine. I went in with him and we were out of there in less than an hour. Excellent service as usual.

I think it's nothing more than a defective unit. Not surprising considering not one manufacturer, mass produces products without a few bad ones that get shipped.

It all worked out just fine.

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

Noticed the same think its a good thing, this one allows for more dimming than the last one. Better for reading at night.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Mine's up just a tad from where I had it on the iPad 2 (a bit more than 55% then; now maybe 60%).

On a slightly different topic: I seem to have a slight bit of dimming along the long sides (like a vertical vignette). It depends on content as to whether or not it's noticeable. Guess I'll see how it goes - I'm sometimes hypercritical.

6. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I feel for you man. When I got my VZW iP4 last February it came with a block of dead pixels smack in the middle of the screen. Its the worst feeling having to send back your precious new toy for which you've worked ever so hard for for a reason you had nothing to do with.

7. dread macrumors 6502a

It's definitely dimmer than the iPad 2 was. I think it is a way to help improve battery life. People will naturally keep the screen dimmer.

8. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

My display seems really dim too. Even at 75 percent or so it doesn't seem to compare to the ipad 2 in terms of brightness

9. doboy macrumors 68000

It seems little dimmer than the my iPad 2 and much dimmer than my iPad 1. I think it has to do with the number of pixels since they already had to double the LED, AFAIK. However, I love that it goes dimmer than the iPad 2, which definitely helps when reading in the dark.

10. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Same here. Its not bad though. Sometimes the brightness on the ipad 2 was too bright on auto adjust. Its okay but yeah definitely a difference

11. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another noticed is that the backlight gets affected by the viewing angle. For example, if I see it from right hand side, left hand side is dimmer or vice versa. The viewing angle in general is not as good as iPad 1, although not terrible.

Having said all that, I'm still happy with iPad 3. Text is so crisp and smooth.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

Blame it on Samsung.:D. I think the new panels are just like that.

13. trek360 macrumors 6502

I was just adjusting my brightness when I saw this thread.

I'm probably up to about 60% compared to 30% on my original iPad. Still seems dim but the bright spot is that the retinal display makes the original look fuzzy.

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I was starting to thing it was angle of view, too. Thanks for the feedback. It does affect it slightly - the left getting dimmer if I look at it more from the right. Not sure it's enough to warrant an exchange, since this is really is the first major run of Retina resolution displays - could end up with something worse...

Text sharpness is super. I can read smaller fonts without straining. I have an iPhone 4S, so I was expecting this - it was the main reason I upgraded from an iPad 2.

15. Techyg macrumors newbie

It could be because of the lighting condition you are in. It dims when you go into a darker room etc.

Did you try turning the Auto-brightness off in settings? If you turn that off, brightness will stay at what you set it to.

Hope that helps!

16. dread, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

dread macrumors 6502a

I agree viewing angles are not as good as the iPad 2. Colors don't get washed out but there is a slight change in brightness. I used to love that the iPad 2 would not change at all from any angle. I'm disappointed the new iPad is not the same.
    Update: I noticed the change in brightness minimized when the backlight is turned up above 50%.

17. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I noticed this too, however after disabling automatic dimming I got approximately the same response as on my iPad 1.

18. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

The viewing angles do alter the brightness. I thought this didn't happen to IPS displays?

Its more noticeable the closer it is to your face.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Screw shipping it back. Can't u just take it to an apple store and get it replaced there:confused:

20. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I do believe this is normal. With auto-brightness on, I have to move the slider 60-65% to the right in a darker room. Now if I take off the auto-brightness things really get bright at lower levels.

21. DomarackiA macrumors member

Go into settings and increase your brightness?

22. noteple macrumors 65816

if I set the Brightness to midrange 50% on the iPad 1 or 2 they are the same.

I have to bump the new iPad up to between 60 - 65% to get the same intensity.

My new iPad and other samples I have looked at are noticeably dimmer out of the box with default settings.

However I wouldn't have noticed unless I did a side by side comparison.

23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

The ticks in the middle are very close together. Almost as if the rate of brightness grows on a bell curve. Sort of like:
    5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 50 - 70 - 80 - 85 - 90 - 95 - 100