Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcborden

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
My wife picked up my 10.5" iPad Pro today and I just got a chance to open it. Beautiful, however it has a definite curve more noticeable across the top and bottom, its only very slight, but if you put a straight rule across the top or bottom you can see daylight in the middle - anyone else notice this?

Reactions: macfacts

jcborden

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I have had two iPad with this slight curve. It was so slight and they worked perfectly.

it is working perfectly, and is only slight, but then again it costs a lot of money and come resale time it might be a pain... Just checked against my 9.7" iPad Pro which is straight.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
If you bought it from an Apple Store, I'd suggest taking it back and verifying the issue. Apple has very good customer service, if they have stock I'm sure they'll swap it if there's a real issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
it is working perfectly, and is only slight, but then again it costs a lot of money and come resale time it might be a pain... Just checked against my 9.7" iPad Pro which is straight.

Trade it in but be warned, worst things can be wrong.

Few people except people like us on this forum spend a lot of time looking down the edge of their iPads to confirm if they are straight. If it bothers you, get it replaced.

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
If it’s something you have to stick a ruler on top of and look for, I don’t think it’s a big deal. If you can hold it straight out in front of you and tell without much effort, then I’d be worried. thats just my unimportant .02

Except, when it comes time to sell it and the person buying it is very sensitive to such things and it causes a potential reduction in value or lost sale. It is easy to brush seemingly meaningless issues aside, until they matter.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
My wife picked up my 10.5" iPad Pro today and I just got a chance to open it. Beautiful, however it has a definite curve more noticeable across the top and bottom, its only very slight, but if you put a straight rule across the top or bottom you can see daylight in the middle - anyone else notice this?

Same. Mine has an ever so slight curve as well. I noticed it right away, but thought my eyes were playing ticks on me. I placed it glass side down on a table just now to confirm, and there is a curve to my 10.5 as well.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Except, when it comes time to sell it and the person buying it is very sensitive to such things and it causes a potential reduction in value or lost sale. It is easy to brush seemingly meaningless issues aside, until they matter.

I doubt a P2P buyer is going to bring a ruler when s/he purchases a used iPad. However, as I alluded to earlier, if it’s significant (in appearance or to his perspective), take it back. If not, keep it moving. Also, your statement assumes it’d be sold to another person. It’d sell just the same on a gazelle or broker type site. I see and understand your position though.

Reactions: HiItsMe

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
In my case, it's hard to get a picture. If you place it glass side down there a slight curve to it looking at it lengthwise. When placed face side down, if you press down on the centre, you can see the curve "straighten" while applying minor pressure. It's a slight curve, but it is there. Otherwise, in my case, it is working fine.

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
I doubt a P2P buyer is going to bring a ruler when s/he purchases a used iPad. However, as I alluded to earlier, if it’s significant (in appearance or to his perspective), take it back. If not, keep it moving. Also, your statement assumes it’d be sold to another person. It’d sell just the same on a gazelle or broker type site. I see and understand your position though.

I was only coming from the perspective I did after watching the recent Nintendo Switch situation where there is a chance of having a small but somewhat noticeable bend in the system.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That's true for resale. Especially if you're selling something online and you don't for see it as a problem with a minor defect, and the person receiving it has an issue with it, then it just creates a whole array of problems.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Well I took it back to apple and they replaced it without even looking at it. The new one is better :)

Ive had many iPads over the years, and I started noticing slight curves on my Air 2. My pro 9.7, 12.9, and the 10.5 I'm typing on now all have slight curves. They seem to all have this. To check, simply place glass down on a table, when the iPad is on, you will see some space/light from the screen in the middle of the iPad. You can check this at any Apple Store/ Best Buy etc too simply by doing putting the iPad down on the display table. It has never been an issue performance wise though.

Reactions: Kal-037

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Well I took it back to apple and they replaced it without even looking at it. The new one is better :)

I've decided to take mine back as well. I found a reserve for pick up today. Will return, and try a new one as well.

Last edited:

jcborden

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
What do you mean its better? Is it perfectly flush?

If I was being completely OCD then there is the slightest of bend (dip in the middle) at the top but the sides look fine and overall this one looks straight (this is a cellular model if it makes any difference?). My previous one looked hand slight bends along all sides, although very slight it was visible enough to me, and once you've seen those bends/curves its hard to look past them!

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.