Is your iPhone 4 100% smooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vslo, Sep 21, 2010.

?

Is you iphone 100% smooth ?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2010.
  1. Yes. Its has always been smooth 100% of the time

116 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No. It used to be , but after 4.1 it started to get little glitches sometimes.

35 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. No. It never was 100% smooth.

50 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. vslo macrumors regular

I got my iphone 4 last week, and I`ve been noticing something a little odd the last days... when I change between my desktops , or from my spotlight from my desktop, or sometimes when opening an application, it just get a little glitchy... But most of the times its smooth... is it normal to have those little glitches sometimes? Changing to my main desktop that is full of app is the best way to notice this often little sluggish...
    TY !

2. Err0xx macrumors member

I have two desktops, one of them my main, with nothing but folders all filled with 12 apps each. Even with this many programs on my desktops, I've never noticed lag of any kind to be honest and I've had mine since pre-orders shipped. Open up your multi-tasking bar and make sure that there aren't like a bajillion programs still running. These could use up enough memory to cause this glitchiness you describe.

Err0xx

3. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

its not a LAG, its just sometimes smoother than others... and what about little lags when opening app, or opening an email i.e. . Do you guys have that ?

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I notice a little glitch when opening folders and switching to spotlight. But its not really noticeable unless I am being OCD about it. Generally, don't notice though.

5. madKIR macrumors 6502

Yes! And don't listen to those saying their iPhone 4s are absolutely smooth! Apple fanboys are too far from being unbiased. I tried different iPhone 4s: they are all the same: jerky animation in folders, games, etc. Some lags here and there. I believe, the underlocked at 800 MHz A4 processor in the iPhone 4 is not capable of running the retina display smoothly.

6. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Apple still need some tweaking to get IOS 4 up to date. I find quite a few times it is not smooth, and stuff judders. In application performance is perfect though.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

No operating system' UI is perfectly fluid at all times.

8. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much guys ! I was just wondering if it was normal or not... I can see clearly that it is...
    But, does it get worse after a while or its the same when you bought it ?

9. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Tired of saying this now, but there are bugs in iOS4 that eat cpu cycles.

I can replicate one every time, opening the camera, using it, then exiting it, even killing in "multitasking" makes the idle cpu usage 10-15% higher, and doesn't drop until the phone is restarted.

This causes noticeable lags in menus, but Apple doesn't seem to have fixed it...

Try getting a cpu usage app, and see for yourself, it should be 90-97 range all the time, with some dips, using the camera and mine is 80~, sucks.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

My iPhone 4 is smooth...smooth criminal, hEEEhEEEE!!

*grabs crouch, does the moon walk*

12. vslo thread starter macrumors regular

And what about battery life? How long it takes on 3G to drain 1%? Here it takes about 3min...
    Is it true that after the first week it gets better?

13. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

14. Amino Man macrumors 6502

4.1 was doing what you describe, so I quickly reverted back to 4.0.2 while Apple was still signing it. My iPhone is now smoother. Perhaps like someone else was saying, that there's a CPU usage problem after opening camera. I put in a bug report with Apple, so hopefully this issue will be addressed soon. It kinda sucks that we're in only our first point update and our iPhone 4s are already slowing down.

Get it together Apple! It shouldn't be stuttering already!

Anyway, we'll hopefully see this fixed on 4.1.1 or 4.2 (whichever comes first).

Until then, I guess I'll stay on 4.0.2 where it runs better and "smoother".

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by it.

15. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Mine runs real fast/smooth. OP, I really wouldn't worry about it. Some people get weird lags on their phones every once in a while, it's normal.

16. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not once in a while. After you open Camera.app, close it and then run other apps like you normally will. You'll start to notice that some apps don't start up as fluidly (animation). Try Voice Memos a couple of times and you'll see what I mean.

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My iPhone 4 is absolutely 100% perfect. I love it!!!

18. Amino Man macrumors 6502

People who say stuff like this do not have a perfect iPhone, but rather they're not bothered by minor glitches and probably don't even notice them.

Theses are the same people who can't see screen tearing in video games and probably don't care if the image on their HDTV is stretched out horizontally to fit a 4:3 picture in the 16:9 TV.

Basically, don't take his word for it. Try it for yourself and see.

19. pablo7 macrumors 6502

I get the stutter effect every time I close the camera app. And sometimes when opening or closing folders. Also when I click on an email as it swipes to the left it stutters, very very annoying for me. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this is happening to. I was about ready to go exchange my phone for a new one over this but I guess I'll wait to see it there is a software fix in the works. It was flawless when on the original software out of the box on June 24th and it's been going down hill from there.

20. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I just tried opening the camera app and then voice memo, facebook, and maps. everything was fine

21. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Open voice memos more than once.

We have the same phone, I'm sure yours is exactly like mine (meaning, I restored as new and did not revert to a backup, so everything was as default as can be)

There's no way you don't have the issue (you probably just don't know what I'm talking about, which is understandable.)

I'm not going to argue with you anymore though. Just know, I submitted a bug report and hopefully (for my own sake) it will get resolved sooner than later.

22. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Maybe the OP should start a poll I know there's got to be more people experiencing this.

23. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

Every once in a while I feel like it's being a bit choppy. Here's the best solution I've found to cure this issue:

Step 1: Ask you friend if you can use his Android phone, (any Android based phone will do).
    Step 2: Play around on the Android phone for about 1-2 minutes.
    Step 3: Go back to using your iPhone.

This always helps to remind me what a smooth operator the iPhone really is. Hope this helps. ;)

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Lol so true!