Is your iPhone / iPod touch's screen scratched?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EssentialParado, May 16, 2010.

?

Is your iPhone / iPod touch's screen scratched?

1. Nope, the iPhone screen is tough as nails

57 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. I have a couple of light ones but it's not noticeable

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Yes, it's prominently scratched up

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. just show me the results

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Is your screen scratched? (Not the metal back)

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

No mine is not.

In fact this is the first (smartphone) out of the many I've had, that I purposely did _not_ put a screen protector on. The reason is because I wanted to see how well the special fingerprint resistant coating worked. I'm super impressed. It's the best display ever. Stays clean and clear.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, of course I'm using a case that covers the screen to minimize the risk

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

20 months old, caseless and screen protector-less the entire time.

The glass isn't scratched, but there are dings here and a small crack in the case. Dropped it once and it landed flat on the glass front on a tiled floor. No damage at all.

5. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

I've done that. I couldn't believe it slipped out of pocket but it was untouched.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

2 deep scratches, 1 at the top and one at the bottom. Luckily they're on the black borders so I only notice them at certain angles under direct sunlight.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Mine has never been touched without a screen protector, so no, it doesn't have scratches. My iPod touch has a couple of scratches though.

8. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I have one near the top its not that noticeable unless in the right light

and either its dust or a few small scratches under the glass otherwise my iphone is in good condition( on the screen)

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I have one tiny one that's maybe a mm long or so; it can only be seen when held at an angle toward light and if you know where you're looking. That doesn't mean that it doesn't still annoy the hell out of me that it's there, of course.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Had a 3G with no screen protection, no scratches. Have a 3GS now with no screen protection. No scratches.

I have my phone in a black incase case.

11. corriewf macrumors 6502a

The only thing hard enough to scratch it should be a diamond. I wonder if any of these scratches are from people that wear too much bling bling. I would be willing to help you of your problem if so....by taking your bling bling.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's not just hardness that determines if one thing can scratch another. But here's a list of the hardest things anyway.

Are you saying that all bling is diamond?

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I understand that hardness is not the only thing that determines whether a substance can be scratched, but I find it interesting that current speculation suggests that the back of the new iPhone may be made of some kind of zirconia ceramic. Such a case would definitely be more scratch-resistant.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yup, that combined with that looks like is a much thinner frame protecting the edges of the glass, a harder material will no doubt be beneficial when you drop it on a corner.

Hopefully when it cracks, it doesn't shatter/splinter like glass either (yeah, I know the new material is basically a ceramic). As well, it's radiotransmissively (whatever it's called) transparent, so it'll be good for reception too.

15. corriewf macrumors 6502a

All the bling that scratches the iPhone glass...The other items on your linked list should not be able to scratch it.... But honestly, im not an expert.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't care what anyone says. Glass scratches with any hard object. It doesn't have to be diamonds. Diamonds can CUT glass. Anything hard can scratch glass.

Ever seen a glass counter top at a retail store? Lots of scratches. Keys, metal, sand, dirt, whatever - it will scratch.

17. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Now sand I know can cut glass... Not sure about metal.. I think the glass counters at retail stores have been scarred up MAINLY from diamond rings a lot of the ladies wear. If the ring is loose, it doesn't take much for diamond to end up on the other side of the finger. I have seen that happen quite a bit. Keys should not scratch a glass screen. I have watched a few tests on youtube regarding the key scratching a glass screen situation. Although I will say, I in fact cover my screen. I don't like how smooth the glass screen is.

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Keys can scratch glass. Trust me. So can natural stone, rock and sand.

Scratching is one thing.

Cutting is another.

19. commaspace macrumors newbie

I 2nd that!

20. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Ahh, your probably right. I think it's important to cover the glass regardless. The iphone is one of the few techy gadgets that actually has a decent resale value...No reason to not keep it in GOOD condition.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you read the page I linked above, the 'hardness scale' it talks about scratch resistance with extra emphasis. It doesn't mean that if it's higher on the scale it is impossible to scratch with material of a lower hardness.

Along your line of thinking, diamond tipped hardware (like drill bits) will never need to be replaced. But if you look, professional safe crackers go through plenty of these things.

22. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I think the main problem is that I am in the wrong profession. :D

You're right. :)

23. outphase macrumors 65816

I have had a screen protector from day 1 but only because I prefer the matte anti-glare/fingerprint style. I got my first major scratches a few weeks ago when a TSA agent thought it would be a good idea to press my phone up to the scanner and move it around on the dirty glass surface. Other than that, I wouldn't imagine any scratches even if it was naked.

24. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

25. rkswat macrumors regular

Wow, you really believe this? You are so far off base with this statement that I just stopped laughing after ready your post 5 minutes ago. Man, thanks for that comedy brake, I really needed that.