Is your iPhone your primary iPod/MP3 player?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jul 24, 2008.

?

Is your iPhone your main mp3 player?

1. Yes, my iPhone is and always has been my main mp3 player

62 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Yes, my iPhone will now replace my iPod as my main mp3 player

78 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I use my iPhone and a separte iPod/MP3 player

30 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. No, I don't use my iPhone for mp3s at all I use a separate iPod

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Do you use your iPhone as your main iPod/MP3 player? Or do you still own a separate iPod? Is your iPhone replacing an old iPod or MP3 player?

I'm asking because now that I have the 16GB iPhone, I'm thinking of selling my 80GB iPod classic. There's no way I need 80GB of memory anyway.

2. darkflounder macrumors regular

My 8GB 3G replaced my old Moto Razr and iPod Mini 4GB. An upgrade across the board.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Since I workout, I use my iPod Shuffle for that. I use the 80GB Classic to hold everything and my iPhone for traveling when I don't want to bring more than 1 device.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I (will) have a 16GB iPhone and I have an old 4G 20GB iPod that's still living 3 years later so I'll continue to use that in my car, especially since it seems that the new iPhone works with a limited amount of devices.

Eventually once the iPod dies I guess the iPhone will become the primary souce. I'm looking into buying a shuffle though (maybe a nano?), especially for international travel as I probably won't bring my iPhone.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have way too many songs and podcasts for 16gigs to be remotely adequate. I'll be using the iPhone as a phone/PDA/portable browser/everything else, and my current iPod as my iPod. :)

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had a Razr and 30GB iPod before this. I miss the extra storage I had in the old iPod, but the benefits of an iPhone far outweigh that. I'm hoping Apple will get the iPhone storage up to 64GB at the $299 price point sometime in 2009 so I can replace this one. That'll be enough time to work the $250 I spent off it. Best darn deal EVER.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My iPhone replaced my 30GB 5th Gen black iPod as my main audio player. However, I kept the iPod as a back up.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I have a 16GB iPhone and a 30GB 5th gen ipod.

I can't fit all my ipod music on my iphone so I'm just adding any new music to my iphone and keeping my ipod as storage for my older songs.

9. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Question for those of you who use the iPhone and a separate iPod: Do they both work on the same iTunes or do you use a different computer for each, because I thought iTunes could only be used with one device?

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Same iTunes. I even plug both of them in at the same time in iTunes. No problems at all.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I use my iPhone (3G 16GB Black) but seriously my iTunes library is close to half a terabyte now. I would love a high end iPhone with either 32GB or 64GB of storage. For now I carry a 32GB iPod Touch along with my iPhone. I hope this rumored refresh of the iPod line includes at least a 64GB iPod Touch.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can use as many iPods & iPhone's as you like with iTunes. I've got 4 syncing with mine.

My main iPod is a 160GB classic, I can't see the iPhone having enough memory for my needs for years due to the high price of flash memory

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You can use as many iPod's as you want. Even more than one of the same model. Sorry for the double post, since OllyW got it before me.

14. minik macrumors 65816

I have 10GB iPod (Touch-wheel), 4GB iPod nano (2nd gen.), 8GB iPod touch, and 16GB white iPhone 3G.

I still use the iPod nano and iPod touch. Here's the deal. I love the 'actual' buttons on the iPod nano as I don't have to look at the screen to do basic music playback. iPod touch if I need the Internet and it's thinner/lighter than the iPhone 3G.

iPhone 3G: it has a built-in speaker, which is nice when I don't want to have something bugging my ears.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I use a 5G 30 gb white for the gym, but I'm considering selling it for a shuffle, which might be more convenient.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I hate the iPhone as an iPod replacement; I would rather use the clickwheel (seems far more useful to me) and using the iPod function drains the battery so fast on the iPhone that it is laughable (kinda makes it useless as a PHONE). I *though* when I got my iPhone (1st gen) that it would replace my iPod. Not!

17. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

18. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I wasnt sure how to reply. I use my iPhone as an iPod but I also have a 160GB Classic that I don't plan on getting rid of. I use both but find myself using my iPhone for music more often when I'm on the go and my Classic when I'm sitting at my desk at work (in a speaker-dock). I will also whip out the Classic when Im in the mood for something that isn't on my iPhone, but thats not very often.

Basically...
    I keep the last 90 days of purchased music on my iPhone and listen to this on the go.
    I keep my music library on my iPod Classic and listen to this when at the office or any other time I plan on listening to music for an extended period of time outside of my apartment.

So theres your extremely long response to an "easy" question! ;)

19. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

that's how I do it...I carry both around, no big deal...8gb Iphone for phone, apps and everything else...30gb Ipod for music and movies...works like a charm:D

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I have WAY too much music for my iPhone to handle :D Way too much for a 16gig iPhone either, so I decided I would use my 80gig iPod as well and save 100 bucks and go for the 8gig. No regrets. I like listening to music on the phone, it's a nice interface, but I'd rather use all the space for apps and pictures and everything else the phone is for. I like being able to use it if I forget my iPod or I don't want to cary it, but my iPod remains my primary because of it's large size.

All that and the battery life of my iPod is like 3 times that of my iPhone... And I use it A LOT!

21. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yup, i hate an old video but i upgraded to an iphone last june

ChrisN

22. Pandora01 macrumors regular

In terms of storage, I downgraded from a 60GB iPod to the 16GB iPod touch early this year, and now my 16GB iPhone will replace the touch. I had to get used to managing my playlists better instead of carrying around my whole library on my old iPod, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The advantages of the touch/iPhone outweighed the drawback of the reduced storage space, IMO.

My sister has my 60GB iPod now, and I sold the touch to a friend instead of giving it away, as it was only a few months old.

23. ceiph macrumors regular

my ipods biggest use is running and training so i like my small slim durable 8gb 3gen nano and that wont go away, the iphone will just keep like my fav last 500 songs and ill keep the library on the nano.

24. GAS macrumors regular

40gb 4G (B&W) -> 80gb 5.5G -> 4gb nano -> 16gb iPhone

25. cantankerously macrumors regular

The 3G iPhone has replaced my 30GB Zen and HTC 8525.