Is your iPhone your regular camera now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Jul 20, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I find that in some ways, my iPhone camera is better than my regular camera (Sony Cyber-Shot). It's always with me, can take pictures faster and they can be on the net in seconds. Plus they are automatically uploaded to the cloud. I started taking pics with my regular camera last night then jumped over to the phone because it was easier. I think I might just make a transition over to just using that. Anyone else just use their phone's camera most of the time?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

For my modest and less than unprofessional purposes...it is more than adequate.

3. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I don't use a standalone digital camera anymore. The iPhone camera is more than good enough for casual photography. I'm not a pro photographer or hobbyist who needs that higher level of quality, so I'd prefer not to have the weight of an extra device.

4. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

No. I still use and prefer a DSLR and a digital snapshop camera to a cell phone camera.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The iPhone I carry serves as my primary and sole camera and fits my needs well as a non-professional photographer.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I do have a Nikon D80 with "sniper lens" (200 x 55) but my iPhone 5 is always with me and it's great to take casual photos.
    I am not a professional photographer, it's just a hobby.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You could probably say that. I'm a professional with thousands of dollars in camera and video gear but my iPhone takes about 3/4 of my family photos now.

When I need my big cameras for a specific use I absolutely use them. But the fact is, I don't really need that kind of quality and control for a shot of my kid at the pool, you know?

8. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I don't do any professional or even hobby photography so I haven't had a stand alone camera since 2004. The cameras that have been on my phones/smart devices have been more than adequate for my casual use and photo sharing.

9. 617aircav Suspended

For everyday fun pictures, that get deleted, yes. For occasions, no way. Last weekend I went camping, kayaking, and white water rafting in Denali, Alaska. I had my point and shoot with me in the kayak. I came across a moose on land while I was kayaking. I took a lot of great close up pictures and hd video. No way my iPhone could have taken those close up pics and videos. IPhone is with me all the time, but when I'm going somewhere I expect to take pictures, I bring the point and shoot.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I must be a lousy picture taker because I stopped using my Nikkon DSLR camera and now strictly using the smartphones camera. I saw very little difference for the photos I took, nothing that needed a quality stand alone camera, so why bother lugging around a large DSLR anymore ? :D

11. rockitdog Suspended

Yup,I don't carry another camera. The iPhone is my go-to device for photos. There's enough apps out there really make some cool pictures.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I don't use my Point & shoot anymore. Either my iPhone for casual snaps, or my D3200 for more professional shots. There are good quality point and shoots out there that would blow the iPhone out of the water, but not my dated cheapie. I guess it depends what you take photos for.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We took an Alaskan cruise this year, and I thought of getting a new camera
    I didn't and I don't regret not spending the money
    My pictures turned out fantastic (for me)
    You can't beat the convenience and the quality is excellent for me

So, it is my camera

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We have a camera (my wife and I) – somewhere. But it meant planning, which is inconvenient with our lifestyle. We've been using our cell phones as our main cameras since 2007. My Sanyo Katana took the first pictures of my daughter when she was born.

Every phone we've had since then we've just used for this. And we've pushed our photos to each new phone along the way.

I have a 3GS which was a gift, but not one of our main phones. I've discovered that it's camera is inferior to the one on my HTC Touch Pro, which is a four year old phone. But my iPhone 5 is what I mainly use now as it's just superior in every way – and convenient.

15. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I've never really carried a camera, so yes, it is.

Especially with Camera+.

16. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I've owned one point-and-shoot camera, but only used it 3x max.

I recently went to Boston and I used my iPhone to take all 100 or so pictures I took while there. So, yeah, my iPhone is my regular camera.

17. salacious macrumors 6502a

i only use my iphone when my DSLR is not with me, so does that make it regular? yes, does that make it my main camera? no.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah got rid of mine back in 2011 when the iPhone 4S came out. No need for a standalone for me anymore since the iPhone camera is now good enough for everything I need.

19. shenfrey macrumors 68000

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes.

Rare for me to want to lug around DSLR anymore. I still do but only for occasions I know its needed. Indoor or evening events and such.

21. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Since most of my everyday pictures get posted to Facebook, my iPhone 5 is my main camera. I have a Canon point and shoot, but hit tends to get lost in my apartment a lot. If I ever take a big trip to Europe or something, I would probably take the point and shoot with a large capacity SD.

22. 617aircav Suspended

My point and shoot was used last week, and before that in 2011 in Iraq. The phone camera is used for non event photos, which is everyday.

23. Roller macrumors 68020

I have a DSLR and a high end P&S. but I rarely have them with me. Unless I'm planning on shooting, I use my iPhone, since it's usually in my pocket. However, I prefer the versatility & quality of the dedicated cameras when I have a choice.

24. chdwil macrumors regular

When I want a picture and don't care about the quality then yes, the iPhone is great. To suggest that a picture from the iphones tiny sensor will have comparable quality to my DSLR with a 35mm size sensor and professional f2.8 glass is laughable. Yes I like the iPhones camera, no it is not a replacement for my real camera.

----------

Please keep in mind that a good photographer will make do with whatever device they are using. The photographer makes the camera, not the other way around. But also keep in mind that there is a reason a quality lens can cost thousands of dollars.

25. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Yes! For non-professional use, I think for a cellphone camera, the iPhone's camera really is fantastic. Also the HD video's mine records are simply stunning! I hate the large file sizes of them though.