Is your Macbook Pro silent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Oct 19, 2007.

?

Do you hear you MBP's fans when they're at their lowest setting?

1. My MBP fans are silent during light use

94 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. My MBP fans are audible during light use

14 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. powz macrumors regular

For those who own an MBP, is it silent or do you hear the fans during light use (i.e. when the fans are at their lowest)?

Thanks for your input!

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Unless I'm playing a game the only noise my MBP makes is the sound of my thighs sizzling from the heat. :)

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

4. tracetritt macrumors member

Mine is as quiet as can be when my fans aren't up at 4000 RPM. I have a SR MBP 2.2GHz.

Tyler

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Mine is definitely not DEAD silent but it's pretty quiet. Fans are usually around 2000 rpm. You can definitely hear it in a quiet room (definitely not in a lecture room though...)

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

My MBP only starts getting loud if I am running OS X, Win XP and a couple Linux VMs.

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Fans are at 2000 RPM and can't hear them at all. Guess if I turned off the TV and made the room totally silent I would hear something but I would HAVE to listen for them.

8. iMouseHD macrumors regular

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Working on my PowerPoint presentation at 4:00 AM today I could hear the faint hum of the fans in my Macbook Pro. Both were running at 1998rpm and at 4:00 AM anything is audible. This thing runs like a champ.

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

2 month Old stock MBP 2.4/160GB...

I got a 2 month Old stock MBP 2.4/160GB...

Fans are usually 2000 RPM; a bit of HD if lots of files movin' but really pretty darn quiet...:cool:

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if i hold my ear about an inch away from it i can hear a faint sound coming from it...i love it:D

12. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

13. erandall38 macrumors 6502

mine is loud. Even with normal use. When it is on a table it makes a vibrating noise. Any thing to do about this?

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah take it to an apple store and let a genius figure out why its doing that

15. torpy macrumors regular

Under light use (fan's running at 2k RPM) it's pretty much inaudible during most of the day, however you can definitely hear a light 'hum' during the dead of night.

I'm not complaining though, it helps me keep my sanity when working on those all-nighters, dead silence kills me ;)

16. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks for the great response! Please keep it coming.

I'm surprised by the vast majority of people who said their MBP is dead silent! Is this the case even in a quite room when you're sitting right in front of your MBP? I can definitely hear a low hum/whirr with mine in this situation so I guess mine may be a bit abnormal.

17. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Well in a quiet room I can hear it, but that's expected. You need some air moving through the darned thing :)

18. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

My fans stick ayt around 2,000RPM too. You hardly notice any sound, so very happy camper.

19. pna macrumors 6502

I've got a 2.0 ghz core duo, and it's very, very quiet. I'm painfully obsessive about silence in my computers. I've wasted more time than I care to think about trying to rig up silent desktops that would do everything I wanted them to. The mbp beats (almost) all of them for quietness, and destroys them on functionality. It's quieter than my mac mini, as well. Fans are normally around 1000 rpm. I still notice the quiet whoosh of the fans when in a very quiet room, and wish even that wasn't there, but it's really fine. More irritating is the regular parking of the heads that the 160 gb WD scorpio I dropped in there does, but even that I've come to live with. The only noise that really bothers me out of this machine is the very high pitched hissing noise when both cores are idle and the AC adapter is connected. Most times when that's occurring, I just shut down one core and silence returns, or turn on photobooth if I really need both cores to be active.

20. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

How do you shut down cores? I didn't know you could do that. Does it save much power / extend the battery life?

Cheers

21. Blubbert macrumors 6502

My MBP is not too loud unless i play games on it or do video conversion. I keep my fans running at atleast 3000 RPM though. It might not be dead silent, but atleast i dont have any burns on my thighs :D .

22. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

The only time I ever hear mine is when the Superdrive runs itself up to read a disc.

23. pna macrumors 6502

You download the CHUD tools from apple's site. They're free for anyone to download.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Basically it just gives you a tool that shows you the load on each of the cores, and allows you to turn one of them off, or back on. It's unsurprising, but still a good reality check, that I almost *never* notice a difference in usage when I've got one core shut down. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have much impact on battery life at all, though I've done no controlled tests. I'm sure it has some impact, but probably nothing to get excited about. I take that as a sign that the power management of the Core series is quite good.

24. bmat macrumors 6502

when the fans are at 2000 rpms, just occasionally hear the HD or the superdrive (if i'm using it, then it's loud). But when the fans are going at a relatively high rate, it's anything but silent (nor did I expect it to be).

25. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I can't hear my fans running until I play some sort of 3D game. that's when it gets pretty loud.