Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've had this same exact thought. There seem to be some issues with the touchscreen on multiple phones. Not sure if software or hardware.
To be clear, it definitely isn’t software. The screen just feels “dryer” if that makes sense when using gestures.

I cleaned my iPhone 6 screen with a cleaner for computer monitors once. Afterwards, I thought I had ruined the coating of my phone’s screen because it felt less smooth. That went away after a day or so. I suspect it’s something similar with the removal of the screen protector leaving you with a screen that is almost too clean..
Yeah, it literally went from the package wrapping to the Apple employee installing the Belkin...no wipes were needed.

It just feels a bit “dry” when swiping compared to the Belkin. I’ll chalk it up to being new. Because sometimes it feels slick then goes away a short time later and feels “dry” with continued use.

Hoping my skin oils make it a little more slick lol.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
To be clear, it definitely isn’t software. The screen just feels “dryer” if that makes sense when using gestures.

Yeah, it literally went from the package wrapping to the Apple employee installing the Belkin...no wipes were needed.

It just feels a bit “dry” when swiping compared to the Belkin. I’ll chalk it up to being new. Because sometimes it feels slick then goes away a short time later and feels “dry” with continued use.

Hoping my skin oils make it a little more slick lol.

Yeah I know it seems like the fingers stick, I noticed it the first day and haven't had screenprotectors on or anything. There have just been some reports of the touchscreen not being responsive so I'm wondering if that could contribute to the feeling.

Reactions: ghsDUDE

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yeah I know it seems like the fingers stick, I noticed it the first day and haven't had screenprotectors on or anything. There have just been some reports of the touchscreen not being responsive so I'm wondering if that could contribute to the feeling.
Are you having problems with the touchscreen? Mine feels more responsive than my previous phones and iPads, and my screen feels just as smooth as my previous iPhones. In fact, because of the fast response, X almost feels smoother.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Are you having problems with the touchscreen? Mine feels more responsive than my previous phones and iPads, and my screen feels just as smooth as my previous iPhones. In fact, because of the fast response, X almost feels smoother.
Your fingers don’t ever feel like they’re dry swiping across the screen?

Maybe it feels like that because it’s brand new, but sometimes it feels like my fingers are dry swiping on the screen (instead of slick and easily sliding).

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I had some intermittent problems with the touch screen where it became laggy the first day, where the touchscreen was having trouble registering inputs. For example when I went to close the phone by swiping the close button the iPhone called to the emergency number instead which is like couple cm below it or switching between home screens didn't register every swipe. It could've been unoptimized apps, and luckily I haven't had it since the first day. But there was a thread here where people reported having similar issues which was interesting.

I also noticed this almost like my fingers we're getting stuck on the screen more, like the swiping is more effortful than before. I wasn't sure if it's just the coating or that the screen is registering the touch somehow differently and it makes it seem like it's more effortful, so I was thinking if these are connected. Otherwise my X has worked perfectly.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I have a 5S, 7 Plus and X in front of me. The 5S feels almost rubbery, the 7 Plus mega smooth and the X just a little bit less smooth than the 7 Plus. But it really is a tiny difference, if you didn't start this thread I would've never even noticed.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have a 5S, 7 Plus and X in front of me. The 5S feels almost rubbery, the 7 Plus mega smooth and the X just a little bit less smooth than the 7 Plus. But it really is a tiny difference, if you didn't start this thread I would've never even noticed.
Haha. If I wouldn’t have used the Belkin Invisiglass I wouldn’t have noticed either.

After taking it off it feels like I have to put in a little more effort into swiping (just barely noticeable). Glad it’s “nornal“ for the X.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
I was comparing my iPhone X to my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus and I wanted to ask everyone if they noticed any differences in slickness between their new phone and old phone screen?

I feel like my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus screen is a little more “slick” when sliding my fingers across between Apps and scrolling.

The X feels still feels pretty good, but it also feels like my fingers sometimes get a little dry when swiping and it isn’t as “slick” as the 8 Plus.

I did have a Belkin Invisiglass protector on for two days and just removed it because Apple needs to install it again due to a bubble not going away...but I’m wondering if the X screen isn’t as slick or if the Belkin Invisiglass caused it.

Thanks!

EDIT - To confirm, I’m talking about the physical screen feel. Not the software.

I feel exactly the same as you

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Actually... YES!!

I keep feeling like there is something stuck on my screen and catching my finger... the screen is perfectly smooth with no debris, but feels dry or not as slick as it should...

It has been annoying me every 5 minutes of use since I got it actually... I thought it was just in my head or that something was wrong with my fingers.

Not sure what to do. I hate screen protectors.

I've had this same exact thought. There seem to be some issues with the touchscreen on multiple phones. Not sure if software or hardware.

I feel exactly the same as you

So to be clear - I’m not the only one who is noticing that the X screen feels a bit more “dry” and has to give a little more effort when swiping?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
My X screen feels really smooth......smoother than the 7+ I’ve upgraded from. That however may be because the 7+ screen had 14 months of use on it.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Not to concern you, and not sure if this is still valid information as I'm speaking to smart phone screens in general and not necessarily Apple related, but all screens come with an oleophobic coating out of the box. This coating is designed to resist the oils on your fingers, in order to limit finger printing.

A benefit of this coating is that, when the phone is new and the coating is uniform and pristine, your finger will glide effortlessly across the screen with very little friction. As time goes on you will notice more fingerprinting and more friction, as the coating wears away. Usually around a years time, you'll have very little coating and a pretty sticky screen. It's not a big deal usually, to me anyway, because by then I've beat the crap out of my phone anyway and have gotten countless amounts of crap on it, so I don't really notice or find it unreasonable that the phone isn't pristine.

One of the downsides of using a screen protector is that they can damage/ruin this coating. And it's possible you did that already, as I've done that to mine in the past. That being said, if you're going to use a protector anyway, does it really matter? You aren't going to be touching the actual screen, so who cares if you damage the coating? The protectors come with this coating applied, so they feel the same as phones screens. These coatings too, wear away, but with a protector you can just apply another one and be on your way.

One more note, you can get oleophobic coating kits, if you really want to reapply a coating to a phone, but I don't think they are recommended as they are pretty tough to use and perfect.

Chances are you didn't damage your coating, you're probably fine. Even if you did damage it, probably only to the point where it would have been damaged in a weeks worth of use anyway. The coatings really don't last very long, as I'm sure you've noticed on your phone screen when you see an enormous amount of fingerprinting/oil.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Not to concern you, and not sure if this is still valid information as I'm speaking to smart phone screens in general and not necessarily Apple related, but all screens come with an oleophobic coating out of the box. This coating is designed to resist the oils on your fingers, in order to limit finger printing.

A benefit of this coating is that, when the phone is new and the coating is uniform and pristine, your finger will glide effortlessly across the screen with very little friction. As time goes on you will notice more fingerprinting and more friction, as the coating wears away. Usually around a years time, you'll have very little coating and a pretty sticky screen. It's not a big deal usually, to me anyway, because by then I've beat the crap out of my phone anyway and have gotten countless amounts of crap on it, so I don't really notice or find it unreasonable that the phone isn't pristine.

One of the downsides of using a screen protector is that they can damage/ruin this coating. And it's possible you did that already, as I've done that to mine in the past. That being said, if you're going to use a protector anyway, does it really matter? You aren't going to be touching the actual screen, so who cares if you damage the coating? The protectors come with this coating applied, so they feel the same as phones screens. These coatings too, wear away, but with a protector you can just apply another one and be on your way.

One more note, you can get oleophobic coating kits, if you really want to reapply a coating to a phone, but I don't think they are recommended as they are pretty tough to use and perfect.

Chances are you didn't damage your coating, you're probably fine. Even if you did damage it, probably only to the point where it would have been damaged in a weeks worth of use anyway. The coatings really don't last very long, as I'm sure you've noticed on your phone screen when you see an enormous amount of fingerprinting/oil.

I only used the Belkin Invisiglass (installed by Apple) and they didn’t wipe it down with anything...nor is the side that goes onto the phone sticky.

There are zero fingerprints on mine (so the oleophobic coating is still there). It almost feels like when your hands get a bit clamy and “stick” a little when swiping.

Hoping the natural oils from my hand reduce this is the next couple of days.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
My X screen feels really smooth......smoother than the 7+ I’ve upgraded from. That however may be because the 7+ screen had 14 months of use on it.

Mine feels smooth to the touch too. But do your fingers sometimes “stick” a little when swiping sideways when the screen is really clean?

Sometimes my swipes are perfectly slick and other times it feels like my finger “sticks” a little while swiping.

Not sure if this is normal or because of the Belkin Invisiglass I previously had installed.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
It feels a little less slick when my skin is dry.

I don’t really clean my screen. I find that it cleans itself just fine whilst it’s in my pocket. :)

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I have a third party screen on mine which is smooth most of the time, but weather conditions can make it feel sticky on the rare occasion.

Maybe a combination of weather/skin dryness is behind it?

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
It feels a little less slick when my skin is dry.

I don’t really clean my screen. I find that it cleans itself just fine whilst it’s in my pocket. :)

I have a third party screen on mine which is smooth most of the time, but weather conditions can make it feel sticky on the rate occasion.

Maybe a combination of weather/skin dryness is behind it?

I think that’s it. Because sometimes is buttery smooth when swiping...then other times it sticks a bit more (even though the screen is perfectly clean).

I’ll chalk this up to my fingers being a bit dry and potentially the iPhone screen isn’t as “slick” compared to the Belkin Invisiglass.

I just went up to my buddy and ask to swipe on his 8 Plus (no screen protector) and my fingers stuck a little while sliding across lol.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
This is starting to drive me crazy...

I’ve had the phone since launch and from coast to coast(different climates, but still haven’t been home where it is drier) and 30 seconds of use after wiping the screen, my finger sticks. Like a lot.

It catches my finger. Thumb, index finger it doesn’t matter. Finger will not slide/glide at all.

I don’t recall a sensation like this with any phone ever. Just got my 6s plus replaced a month ago on AppleCare and it was slick and smooth, so I don’t think it would be used to me having worn out the oleophobic coating and then getting a phone with one.

I am at a loss, but it is 100% ruining my experience.

It’s like trying to ice/roller skate on gravel.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
This is starting to drive me crazy...

I’ve had the phone since launch and from coast to coast(different climates, but still haven’t been home where it is drier) and 30 seconds of use after wiping the screen, my finger sticks. Like a lot.

It catches my finger. Thumb, index finger it doesn’t matter. Finger will not slide/glide at all.

I don’t recall a sensation like this with any phone ever. Just got my 6s plus replaced a month ago on AppleCare and it was slick and smooth, so I don’t think it would be used to me having worn out the oleophobic coating and then getting a phone with one.

I am at a loss, but it is 100% ruining my experience.

It’s like trying to ice/roller skate on gravel.
Well, I went to the Apple Store and got a replacement unit due to random restarts...I’ve got to say it feels A LOT better now. It’s not perfect, but I will NEVER put another screen protector on my iPhone again. I’m convinced the Belkin Invisiglass made my screen feel dry after removal.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
No question that my X screen doesn’t slide as nice as my 6s and other previous iPhones, too much grip. Wonder if it’s the new glass or different coating.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I've actually noticed the opposite and mentioned it in the "This phone doesn't seem real thread".

Scrolling is buttery smooth; the action and the UI, like it much better than the 6+6s+7+

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
My replacement iPhone X feels really rough. Not a smooth swipe at all. Didn't have a screen protector on this one. My old iPhone X also had this issue, so I put a protector on it, which fixed it instantly. I don't like how protectors accentuate the notch though. My old iPhone 7 had the same issue. Sometimes it feels like pieces of finger oil even get stuck and you can scratch them off. Horrible.

My galaxy s9 does NOT have this issue, is really smooth.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GfznFZCUodnrRSFs1

Well, in this picture you can see the coating isn't there

And a video to further illustrate the issue

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OVD8QIactR9RQlTZ2

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I was comparing my iPhone X to my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus and I wanted to ask everyone if they noticed any differences in slickness between their new phone and old phone screen?

I feel like my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus screen is a little more “slick” when sliding my fingers across between Apps and scrolling.

The X feels still feels pretty good, but it also feels like my fingers sometimes get a little dry when swiping and it isn’t as “slick” as the 8 Plus.

I did have a Belkin Invisiglass protector on for two days and just removed it because Apple needs to install it again due to a bubble not going away...but I’m wondering if the X screen isn’t as slick or if the Belkin Invisiglass caused it.

Thanks!

EDIT - To confirm, I’m talking about the physical screen feel. Not the software.
Being you removed the inviglass protector you might have also taken some of the oleophobic coating off
Even though the Invisiglass protector stays on without adhesive

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Being you removed the inviglass protector you might have also taken some of the oleophobic coating off
Even though the Invisiglass protector stays on without adhesive
I ended up taking it to the Apple Store (within the first week of owning it) and they replaced it for free. New phone has a nice and “slick” screen the way it’s supposed to be. I will never put any types of screensavers on my future iPhones again.

Glad it all worked out for me though :)

A.Naqi

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018

Thanks!

My iPhone X screen is sticky without any screen protection. I was wondering is the iPhone Xs have the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.