Isight camera not functioning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghazix01, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ghazix01 macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2012
    I just bought a new macbookpro retina and i updated it to mountain lion os x but this update broke my camera. any help would be appreciated. the camera works sometimes as if it has a cooling down time but most of the time it looks like the picture i attached. thanks anyways for any help.

Attached Files:

2. macronerd macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2007
    Same Problem Here!

Did clean install of Mountain Lion on 2009 MBP. Any app associated with iSight will not open. Facetime and Photobooth both show rainbow lines after 5 seconds. Brought to Apple Store, and they said it was software related. They did another clean install which worked fine in store but when I got home, the problem came back :(
  3. iRobby macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2011
    Fort Myers, FL USA
    It's a Facetime Camera now not iSight. Look at your specifications
  4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Try clean install once and if it doesnt fix it go to Apple.
    It may be the camera itself.
  5. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Doesn't matter what they call it, the problem lays in the fact that it is broken. Anyways, take it to Apple.
  6. ChadMSU07 macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2012
    2012 13" MBA Has Same Problem

I had the same problem with my 2012 13" MBA. I noticed it after upgrading to Mountain Lion a few days ago. I took a couple of pictures for evidence, then I restarted and the camera worked.

I'm a little concerned that it's going to be a reoccurring issue. At this point with it working, is there any reason to go to a genius bar or contact Apple?