isight..I'm going to miss it...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chuchichan, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

I'm in the market for a new mac laptop and I think I'm going to have to give up using my isight camera. Has anyone else gone through this separation issue too? I really like the flexibility of the isight, how I can point it around the room. I feel that I will be limited with the built-in cameras. Is there a way to get an isight to work on a new MBP or MBA or should I just give up?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's still supported, but you would be limited to models which have a Firewire port.

3. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I know it's still supported but I was asking if anyone out there uses/prefers to use the iSight over the built-in laptop camera or if that's just me and I should move on and let the iSight go.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ah. Well, for just video conferencing, I use the built-in. But, sometimes I do "remote repair", and then the external iSight is very useful because of it's auto-focus and macro abilities. Or, if there's more than myself in the conference, it's much better not to tie down the MBP's position to cover the subjects.

I think you'll find uses for both cameras.

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Can the iSight be connected to an MBA or MBP? What sort of adapters are needed?

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

The iSight uses Firewire 400. Newer Macs have a FW800 port which is a different plug, but can be used with FW400 devices with an adaptor cable.

The MBP shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the MBA has a Firewire port.
    For the MBP, you'll need a FW800-FW400 adaptor.

I don't believe there is any good way to connect Firewire devices to a USB port.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. FW400 is sometimes called iEEE 1394A and FW800 is sometimes called IEEE 1394B.

7. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.