Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
I received my iSkin aura a few days ago, but I had to wait for my new iPhone to arrive to try it out!
I ordered the dark charcoal/black case. I was impressed with this case when I saw it on the iSkin website, and was equally impressed when it arrived.
Although the back is "brushed aircraft-grade" aluminum, the sides, top and bottom are polycarbonate. It's extremely thin and light, and doesn’t really feel any bigger than the iPhone without a case. The polycarbonate sides make it feel very comfortable in the hand. It has a nice, smooth, “soft” feel without being too slippery. From the iSkin website photos, it appeared that the inside back may be aluminum, and I was concerned about the back glass of the iPhone rubbing against the aluminum and possibly scratching the glass. Especially if dust or small particles of any kind got into the case. However the entire inside of the case is lined in soft-to-the-touch polycarbonate. It snaps onto the iPhone with a firm, snug fit, and provides easy access to all ports and buttons.
Although the case looks and feels great, it adds only a moderate amount of protection. The back, sides and corners appear protected, but there is no bevel over the front edge of the phone. The front of the phone is actually slightly higher than the sides of the case. If you set the case front side down, it will be resting entirely on the front glass. The case does come with one clear film screen protector, however it’s rather generic, and although it applies easily without any bubbles, I just couldn’t get the bottom left to “adhere” to the glass leaving that corner wanting to peal up. I’ll probably replace it with a better quality screen protector.
If you tend to be hard on your iPhone, or are all “thumbs”, then this probably isn’t the case for you, as it doesn’t offer the level of protection of many other cases. However, if you want a very slim, stylish case that really does compliment the look of the iPhone, and you are OK with the modest protection this case provides, then you may want to consider the iSkin aura.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 301
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
A few more photos. Here you can see that the face of the phone is higher than the sides of the case.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 183

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Great, a few questions. Does the back feel like it will scratch or get finger prints ? what about the sides of the case, will it scratch easy ?
Does the case fit on tight and can you keep a screen protector on the back of the phone with the case on ?
Between this and the incase snap what do you think is made better ?

Thanks, any chance on a youtube video of this case ?

Jovani.ivan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
How does it feel in the hand? Can you test out the flash to make sure it doesn't have any problems with the camera cutout? A lot of the other case designers are going for larger camera holes.

jess1ca

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Great review! I'm thinking about getting the metallic blue/black one. Is the case a super snug fit? Do you find it hard to take off?

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
Does the back feel like it will scratch or get finger prints ? what about the sides of the case, will it scratch easy ?

I have the dark charcoal and the back doesn’t show fingerprints. As far as scratching, after a couple of days use, it doesn’t seem as though it will scratch easily. Only time will tell. Same with the sides.

Does the case fit on tight and can you keep a screen protector on the back of the phone with the case on ?

I put a screen protector on the back of the iPhone as added protection from possibility of scratching inside the case. Fits, no problem.
I did, however, remove the front screen protector that came with the case and replace it with one that I think will provide a higher degree of protection.

Between this and the incase snap what do you think is made better ?
I’ve never used the incase snap case, so I can’t compare the two.
This really is a very well fitting and nicely made case. After a couple of days use, I am really liking the aura.

How does it feel in the hand?

It has a very nice, comfortable feel in the hand.

Can you test out the flash to make sure it doesn't have any problems with the camera cutout? A lot of the other case designers are going for larger camera holes.

The window for the lens and flash is large enough so as not to interfere with the flash.

Is the case a super snug fit? Do you find it hard to take off?

Yes, the case fits with zero play or movement of the iPhone inside the case. Taking the case off was a little tricky the first try, but once you get the hang of it, no problem. Having said that, the case is a “snap-on” type, and I don’t know how long the snug fit would last if you kept taking it on and off.

Attachments

• P1010057-copy.jpg
    P1010057-copy.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 124

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks for the review and pics srowndedbyh2o! (BTW I visited Hawaii a few yrs ago, such an awesome place!)

The window for the lens and flash is large enough so as not to interfere with the flash.

There's another problem that people are concerned about with the flash, namely, the glare caused by the case when taking a picture with the flash turned on.

Could you test this out? I'm quite interested in getting this case for my 4S. :D

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
There's another problem that people are concerned about with the flash, namely, the glare caused by the case when taking a picture with the flash turned on.
Could you test this out? I'm quite interested in getting this case for my 4S

Here are a few side by side shots with and without the cover on. I’m really surprised by the results. The photos clearly show a difference between having the cover on or off.
Looking at the cover it appears that the lens/flash opening is plenty large. I wonder if it’s the shiny, beveled aluminum around the opening that is causing the difference.

Attachments

• sidebyside#3.jpg
    sidebyside#3.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 162
  • sidebyside#2.jpg
    sidebyside#2.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 141
  • sidebyside#1.jpg
    sidebyside#1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 155
  • sidebyside#4.jpg
    sidebyside#4.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010057-copy.jpg
    P1010057-copy.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 105

Jovani.ivan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Yeah, I thought so. I just ordered mine too on Friday. Gonna have a nice big long chat with the good people from iSkin for lying to me.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Jovani.ivan said:
Yeah, I thought so. I just ordered mine too on Friday. Gonna have a nice big long chat with the good people from iSkin for lying to me.

I sent an e-mail to them about the flash problem, with a link to the side-by-side photos I posted.
It really is too bad, because I really do love the case.

Filipino.Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Well, this is no good. Mine should be coming in Monday. Looks like it is RMA time. My wife has the iSkin Claro. It's a great case also, just a bit thicker. I guess I will be ordering that.

dynamiks

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I guess this is the reason why Case-mate changed the camera cut out on their Barely-there Aluminum case. It looks uglier with that huge cut out, but it won't interfere with the flash. I wanted the original Black Aluminum barely there, but I guess if I want the camera flash to work I have to go with the new design. :(

Jovani.ivan

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
iSkin's RMA sucks. You not only don't get your original shipping back, you have to pay to ship it to them.

As for case-mate's larger, more square cutout, I prefer that design. It's blockish, just like the phone. It looks more elegant and in sync with the rest of the phone.

I wish I ordered that instead.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Any word from iSkin? I had my eye on the aura, but those photo pics ruined it for me. Back to square one.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Here are a few side by side shots with and without the cover on. I’m really surprised by the results. The photos clearly show a difference between having the cover on or off.
Looking at the cover it appears that the lens/flash opening is plenty large. I wonder if it’s the shiny, beveled aluminum around the opening that is causing the difference.

I'm curious if it's really the size of the cutout or if it has to do with the shiny back of the case reflecting the light bouncing off the subject and back at you. Any chance you could take a picture where you cover most of the shiny back? Just out of curiosity, obviously if the shininess is what's doing it, then this case by design won't be any good at straight on photos with flash, but it would tell us if a small cutout for the camera on ANY case is a reason to avoid cases with overly small cutouts.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
Although I never received a response from iSkin when I first e-mailed them with a link to my side-by-side comparisons, I did happen to take a look at there Facebook page and noticed that they blogged about their own test: “MYTH BUSTED”. Take a look and decide for yourself.
Here’s some more side-by-side comparisons that I did.
Click on the photos for a better view. I definitely see a difference in these photos. It may not be a big difference, but I think shots with the cover on are more washed out.

Attachments

• Flash W-W:O.jpg
    Flash W-W:O.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 207

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
I'm curious if it's really the size of the cutout or if it has to do with the shiny back of the case reflecting the light bouncing off the subject and back at you. Any chance you could take a picture where you cover most of the shiny back? Just out of curiosity, obviously if the shininess is what's doing it, then this case by design won't be any good at straight on photos with flash, but it would tell us if a small cutout for the camera on ANY case is a reason to avoid cases with overly small cutouts.

Here are photos with the case on, and the back of the case covered and uncovered.
#1 is shot with the case on, and the back of the camera covered with flat-black.
#2 is shot with the case on and the back uncovered.
#3 is shot with the case off.
I guess it’s a matter of opinion which photo looks best, but there is definitely a difference.

Attachments

• Back covered.jpg
    Back covered.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 211

moogs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I think that's the best looking case I've seen. Too bad about the flash issue.

slybaots

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Sorry to be a little off topic right now, but i would like to know if the case have a rubber (anti-slip?) particularity on the frame and the case doesn't slip on a table for exemple?

sorry for my bad english ^^'

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Here are photos with the case on, and the back of the case covered and uncovered.
#1 is shot with the case on, and the back of the camera covered with flat-black.
#2 is shot with the case on and the back uncovered.
#3 is shot with the case off.
I guess it’s a matter of opinion which photo looks best, but there is definitely a difference.

Yes, there's definitely a different, and I'm surprised to see how similar the pictures look between the case covered with flat black and case back uncovered. That seems to be definitive evidence that it's the flash hole size causing the problem. It's definitely somewhat subtle in most lighting situations, but I'm certainly not interested in buying a case that negatively affects the capabilities of the hardware it's protecting. Oh well... guess I'm still shopping. Thanks so much for all of your example pix and posts, they've been very helpful!!

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
I'm certainly not interested in buying a case that negatively affects the capabilities of the hardware it's protecting.

I'm torn. I really like the look of the blue Aura, and want it bad. But your statement above is making me hesitant. Their "Myth Busted" article seems to make it a moot point, but I'm not sure if I should believe them. Most of OP's pics show very subtle differences, and I rarely use the flash. But like you said, if it has a 1% negative impact on the $400 phone I just bought, I don't want it.

Filipino.Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
I returned my White Aura without opening it and bought the CaseMate Barely There Brushed Aluminum in black. It has a larger cut out, which should take care of the flash issue. The backing is nice, as well are the sides. The only thing I don't care for 100% is that the sides are a shiny, possibly slicker black. It tends to smudge (although it is the side and not very visible), and for grip purposes I would have liked a matte siding. I would recommend this case. I purchased it for $32 after the Facebook like discount, or you could just find the code, I forget what I used. No tax. Free shipping.

slybaots

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Sorry to be a little off topic right now, but i would like to know if the case have a rubber (anti-slip?) particularity on the frame and the case doesn't slip on a table for exemple?

soomebody can help me please? =)

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii

The sides are polycarbonate so it has a nice feel in the hand. Not really “grippy” or “sticky”, but not slippery either.
The back is brushed aluminum, so when you set the phone down on it’s back, only the aluminum is in contact with the surface you set it on.

dynamiks

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I decided to order the Aura after all.. I cannot deal with the new style cases with the huge cut outs for the camera.

Anyway I was wondering how is the quality on the included screen protector? I looked at a picture on another website and it looked pretty good. I know normally cases come with crappy screen protectors, but I am wondering if this case is an exception.

----------

6315357297_409154eaa0_o.jpg

this is the picture of the screen protector just in case anyone else is interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.