iskin keyboard protection harmful?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronw1986, Jun 30, 2007.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I am just wondering if using an iskin can be harmful for the computer. It seems more force is required to close the lid on my MBP, as obviously the iskin adds some height to the keys. Is this bad? Will it somehow warp the casing over time, or if I do remove it, will the lid not close quite right?

2. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I would remove it before closing the case. I think it's only supposed to be on when the notebook is open. Because of the height of the iSkin, it is going to be in direct contact with the screen causing the transfer of oils from your skin to the iSkin to the screen.

3. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

It does not transfer oils, as I have a tom bihn microfiber between it and the keyboard. Seems kinda ridiculous to take it on and off every time I use it, I doubt I would keep this up for long.

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Less ridiculous than swapping the microfiber in and out every time? In any event, the MBP isn't designed to have piece of plastic inside it when it is closed. This is obvious by the fact that it requires more force to close the lid when the iSkin is inside. On iSkins web page, it says you can keep it in, so maybe you can go after them if it warps the case or prevents your computer from closing properly later. I have had an iSkin since I got my first PowerBook G4 and it has now moved to my MBP, and neither laptop has ever been closed with the iSkin inside.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although iSkin says that you can keep the Protouch protector in when the laptop is closed, its site also says:

So if these oils and dirt will be transferred to the Protouch instead, if you keep it in place when the laptop is closed then the oil and dirt will surely be transferred onto the screen.

I've read one poster (don't think on this forum) who bitterly regrets never removing his Protouch as it's led to a lovely stained screen.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I bought a keyboard protector but I never used it....

Kind of miss the feel of the keys. Bare back is the only way! Rubbery contact is for wusses! :D

7. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's why I said I have a microfiber on top of the protouch. To transer the oils and such onto the microfiber, and not the screen. So people who use the iskin, you put it on when you use the computer, and take it off before closing it? Where do you store the iskin for transport?

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Sure, I did read that you're doing that - I was just quoting the advice from the site as general advice as you asked if it was safe to keep the protouch on all the time, just confirming what antibact1 said. I've never used both kind of covers on any laptop so I can't comment on the extra thickness, and you're in rather a better position on that score.

If you're worried about the extra thickness, just do what antibact1 advises. Why not just get a pouch to store the protouch in?

9. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Perhaps...if only I knew where to get such a pouch.

10. basicfiend macrumors member

I used an iSkin on my PowerBook for 3 years (saved me from several coffee spills....I hate mornings), and closed the lid with the case in. I never experienced any warping. BUT I didn't have the iSkin along with a felt protector closed in there. I just cleaned the screen when it got dirty.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the PB / MB / MBP does dissipate a little heat through the keyboard and runs a little hotter with the iSkin. But again, never experienced any problems.

11. dcains macrumors regular

Hmmm.... I've got an iSkin on both my MBP and MB, but I don't feel any difference in the amount of pressure needed to close the screen on either of them. I just tried, and even had my wife randomly remove and replace the iSkin when I wasn't looking, to see if I could tell when I closed the screens with my eyes closed. I also don't see any transfer of any oils of other imprint from the iSkin to the screen, and I haven't cleaned either of them in at least a month. But, I really don't ever take either of these Mac's anywhere except to whatever room of the house I'm in, so maybe the screen gets forced down onto the iSkin in a carrying case? So, I never take mine off and I never use a cloth over the iSkin, and all seems well to me.

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i've accidently closed it with the iSkin in, and have not noticed any more pressure required to close the case...how hard are you pressing?

Usually i just take the iSkin out and close the lid with InsomniaX. In the above quote that the iSkin catches oils, its porous and is non transferable...which is why you need dish washing liquid to clean it. When my screen was dusty, i could see that the iSkin made contact with it when it was closed, but i saw no smudges or oil stains..

The iSkin quiets keystrokes, so in those really quiet places where you're the only one typing it helps.

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I just leave my iSkin on the keyboard when I close my MacBook Pro and clean the screen when it gets dirty. The screen is still in very good shape and while I have seen the oils transferred to the screen before, it was nothing that cleaning couldn't take off.

14. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I keep my iSkin on. No problems from my end. Didn't notice any difference when I closed the lid.

15. machomer macrumors regular

Microfiber In and Out, repeat

Does the microfiber really help protect the screen from getting damaged by the keyboard?

How are you suppose to store the microfiber when you are using the computer?

16. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Considering I just got my case today and my MBP a few days ago...haven't taken it anywhere. I suppose I will store the microfiber in my case once the MBP is out. Maybe I am just thinking it requires extra pressure to close. I am just worried that down the line, it would not close properly if I decide to remove the iskin. It also seems if there was some kind of physical change done by closing the iskin in, that it would not be covered by Apple Care. I'd say the microfiber will help. Any oils on the iskin will transfer to the bottom of the microfiber, and then clean top end will make contact with the screen.

17. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I started this post because when I looked at my closed MBP with the iskin on there is a little gap on the left side, it does not close down as much as the right side. I was led to believe this was due to the iskin, but I just checked...and it does this regardless... :(. Looks like I found a flaw. Perhaps then having the iskin on at all times won't effect how the computer closes.

18. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Such an old thread but I just found it and it is useful for me, right now!
    The problem I have is iskins' silicon stains.
    See it to full understood what I mean:

Several keys has these stains from iskin mbp keyboard protector.
    How can I clean iskin and mbp keyboard without harming them?
    And I have to say that I do not understand why this happens.

Attached Files:

19. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I had a PC laptop with permanent silicone transfer on a matte screen from a silicone screen protector.

20. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Have used KB protectors on all 5 of my Mac laptops, going back to the PB165. I'm constantly annotating figures right next to my machine, and the broken lead from mechanical pencils flies everywhere, so my KB--and I suppose the innards--would be a mess otherwise.

Have never noticed a diff in closing lid. Sometimes see 'ghost keys' on the darkened screen, but since the newer glass screens are much tougher than the old PB matte screens, I just take a handy-wipe to it every couple of days. About once or twice a month I wash the protector in warm water and hand soap, then hang to dry.

No problems, tho I can see how, as an earlier poster noted, heat dissipation is slightly hindered.

21. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Tried iSkin and it was way too thick. Moshi keyboard clearguard is the best IMO, very thin and works well.

22. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

That Moshi protector actually looks interesting. Will consider it for my next MBP.

http://www.moshimonde.com/productDetail.aspx?group=5

23. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I use the iSkin keyboard protector on my 15" MBP. However, my MBP is anti-glare so I think the screen is farther away from the keyboard when closed.

I haven't noticed any marks on the screen yet so I just key my keyboard cover on.

24. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

honestly all 3 of my macs have this moshi keyguard never any screen marks or problems love the thing. Easy to clean !!!

I bought mine of ebay for 10.00 shipped.

25. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I may have to get one then :)