Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Island-Themed Sandbox Game 'The Survivalists' Debuts on Apple Arcade

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week's addition to Apple Arcade is The Survivalists, an island-themed sandbox game where players explore, build, craft, trade, and even train monkeys with up to three friends in a desperate bid to survive.

Available on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, The Survivalists comes from British game studio Team17, known for games like Overcooked, Worms, and The Escapists.

From the App Store description:
Hunt (or be hunted by!) animals for food and an array of mythical enemies, who aren't necessarily pleased to see you. Get quests from a Mysterious Stranger or find them washed up on the shore. Prepare to trek into a procedurally generated wilderness, with a variety of biomes, for an adventure that's unique to every player.
Apple Arcade is Apple's subscription-based gaming service, priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year. The service provides users with access to over 100 games across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, with no ads or in-app purchases. The games can be downloaded from the Arcade tab of the App Store with an active subscription.

The Survivalists is also launching on the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC today.

Article Link: Island-Themed Sandbox Game 'The Survivalists' Debuts on Apple Arcade

Reactions: Vanilla35

Johnny907

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
It's funny because watching that trailer, this is the sort of game I'd buy, but I'll be darned if I'm going to subscribe to another service just to play one game, one I'd lose access to the moment I stopped subscribing.
Stop holding games hostage behind your BS subscription services, Apple. Give us the choice to outright buy these games individually or just be able to access them as part of a subscription the same way Xbox Game Pass or Playstation Pass do. I know that you apparently hate choice these days, but seriously, knock it off.

• Disagree
Reactions: jinnj and Huck

Pirate!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2017
Another case of monkey see, monkey do.

Why doesn’t Team17 come out with a mobile Worms Armageddon?

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Does anyone know if this is a persisted world? It says up to 4 can play, but is it like a Minecraft realm where any of the four players can access the world at any time to build or collect or whatever?

Reactions: jinnj

Warputin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Another case of monkey see, monkey do.

Why doesn’t Team17 come out with a mobile Worms Armageddon?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: jinnj and Pirate!

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
All I want is a decent online racing sim. Something like Real Racing 3 without the artificial restrictions, or thousands of hours and/or dollars spent to be somewhat competitive.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
And I thought that Apple Arcade games were exclusive...
Indeed - this seems like quite a departure. An Apple Arcade "exclusive" that is available on pretty much any other platform?

This suggests that Apple Arcade is getting more desperate, or this developer have more leverage. Or both.

Last edited:

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Indeed - this seems like quite a departure. An Apple Arcade "exclusive" that is available on pretty much any other platform?

This suggests that Apple Arcade is getting more desperate, or this developer have more leverage. Or both.
I'm not sure where you got the idea of "Exclusive". The Arcade page in the App Store doesn't even have the word "exclusive" anywhere on it. Nor is there any indication that any of the games are for Apple Arcade only.

Me thinks your imagination got the best of you.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
Stop holding games hostage behind your BS subscription services, Apple. Give us the choice to outright buy these games individually or just be able to access them as part of a subscription the same way Xbox Game Pass or Playstation Pass do. I know that you apparently hate choice these days, but seriously, knock it off.
Stop holding games hostage behind subscription services and and MAKE THEM AVAIALBLE BY SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES!!
And I thought that Apple Arcade games were exclusive...

No, not exclusive, these games end up on other platforms, just not Android.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why when we have all this power are all these games like something you'd expect to have seen on the original NES ?

I'd not have accepted these graphics even on a N64.

:(

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Meanwhile Android users are playing fully fledged Xbox one games...

Apple Arcade sucks imho. I will never pay for this.

• Disagree
Reactions: jinnj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.