Isnt the touch screen supposed to be scratch proof? and what should i do now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tycsteel, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tycsteel macrumors newbie

i have an ipod touch and ive had it since it came out and i have always had cases on it and i cleaned it whenever it needed but one morning i woke up and was playing with it and went to clean it and reliazed there was little like scratch in the screen i tried everything to get it off and nothing worked.
    what should i do do you think apple with replace it casue isnt it supposed to be scratch proof? its not a big deal i just like my things to do what they say they do and all

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nothing is scratch proof besides say diamonds (naturally). if there was a grain of sand in pocket, it could have scratech the galss

you'll just have to live with it being scratched like i do and many others

i would go get like a psp screen guard and put it on to prevent further scratches

3. tycsteel thread starter macrumors newbie

yea well thanks for the feedback does the screen still work perfectly with one of those screen guards?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes it does. plus it hides the scratch. i cant see it with mine on

however, it is a challenge to apply it without getting any dust under there haha.

but it does work and works well , no loss in touch ability at all

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm curious why you thought it'd be scratch proof.

6. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

I bought one of DLO's Jam Jacket's which came with a screen protector. Total garbage. After three months of using it, it eventually dirty, and looking at a movie through it was horrible. When I applied, I tried to get out all the dust, but not successful. I just removed it from my iPod, and it feels a lot more responsive. I'll wait around until I can afford to but another case, but until then...:rolleyes::apple:

7. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Yeah..

Apple never stated either the iPod or iPhone screens were scratch proof.
    They are glass, and glass scratches.
    Youre going to have to live with it, it is going to get scratches.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apple never stated it but many early iPhone reviews said it was very hard to scratch, one video reviewer put it in some plastic bag with some sharp objects and shook it around. No scratches!

But prolong and heavy use would likely give some scratches.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Its scratch resistant ! Anyone see the u tube with the guy who rubbed all sorts of stuff across the screen , which left no marks.... hmmmm !!

Rule of thumb, either put a case around it, shield or simply take care.

Im liking the way you can also use a green scrubber to put a swirl effect on the back of the touch too !

10. rip93 macrumors newbie

hi, yea iv got 3 scratches in mine and wen i bought it it said it was scratch proof so i rung them and they said i should pay 4 the repair but sayin its scratch proof is a miss-representation

11. omniinvoice macrumors member

Where did it say it was scratch proof?

12. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

yeah i've tried putting those screen protectors on myself and it never works out well. however, when i've bought them from the apple store, the salespeople are always happy to apply it for me if i ask. it is quite a challenge. i think the trick is to apply some kind of screen-cleaning spray first to remove all the tiny dust particles. i've never noticed them causing decreased responsiveness though.

13. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Fixed. and... LOL

14. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I doubt very much there are any Apple ads or packaging calling the screen "scratch-proof". Ads from sellers/vendors may have said such a thing and that is just false advertizing.

Now, if an Apple ad or packaging said "scratch resistant" as others have suggested, well, it IS scratch resistant, but not scratch-proof. Big difference there.

Bottom line, you do still have to protect the screen, else eventually you will have a scratch(es) on it.

Mike

15. liaammm macrumors newbie

It says on wikipedia that it's scratch proof but that's not true, if you buy something like bodyguardz screen protectors (i dont recomend the zagg invisible shield) the screen protector thing moulds it's self into that scratch making it invisible may be a tiny bit noticeable if it's big, I have loads of scratches on my iPhone screen but I don't mind, you just have to leave it

16. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Really?

The Wikipedia articles for iPhone and iPods (currently) do not state that they are scratch-proof, though you and anyone else could change that, if you were so inclined. However, it's more informative to note that Apple, the maker of, and thus the only entity able to make any legally-binding claim about, iPhones/iPods, does not state that they are scratch-proof.

They are certainly scratch-resistant, as mine, sans protective casing, has been dropped and skidded across many a floor/sidewalk with little to show for it, cosmetically or otherwise.

17. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

Apple covers the screen with a scratch resistant coating. It works VERY well - you almost do not need a screen protector. I haven't used a screen protector on my ipod touch ever since I've owned it (Dec. 2007), and the screen looks flawless. I also keep it unprotected in my gym bag along with keys, books, and other gym crap. :cool:

18. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Mi e is bullet proof, ;D lol... back on topic, i have lots of scratches on the back but the front is scratch free o_O

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I've never had a problem putting them on my self but the trick is clean it with a non residue leaving glass cleaner and microfiber cloth first and as soon as it's dry, get the protector on there. It's really not to hard to get it on without dust under it.

20. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

the glass on my 1st gen has a minor scratch or 2. gives it character. makes it look hard. not all mamby-pamby and ghay as when new.

21. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Seriously?

Some combo of buffing/iKlear may help you.

22. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

ive found that the iphone/ipod touch glass wont scratch unless it is done by excessive force. by this i mean, dropping it on the ground (possibly dirt an other things will be there to scratch it) or deliberatly trying to scratch it. my iphone broke the other week, and after removing the glass i tested it, i ran a knife over it and no mark at all, i put force it into still nothing, i then really hit the knife off it and it left a small dent. trust me, that glass is really strong, but if you worry bout silly little scratches buy a case or screen protecter, mind these will possibly scratch the device too.

if you can afford it, an have the time....everytime you get a tiny little scratch buy a brand new glass part for £50 and replace it yourself. do that if it bothers you so much. but dont stress over a little scratch, they are very hard to resist, and only replace the glass/touch pad if you CRACK or SMASH the screen.

23. dino12 macrumors member

Use THIS

Try using Brasso. Its a buffing compound. I use it on my watch crystal and it gets the scratches out. Make sure to use a soft cloth to buff with. You can buy it at Walmart.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Back when the flat faced iPod videos came out I had a product called crystal film which was a harder plastic cover. If you smooth it on with a credit card it looks flawless. No bubbles or anything. Noone believed me I had a cover on and its never peeled off ever. I love it. Its like $15 on apples store if its still sold.

25. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

wow, um brasso is something id use on an old penny maybe, but not glass