ISPYU Trojan - Please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Dec 21, 2010.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I just got the ISPYU trojan virus from facebook on my MBP. I didn't think mac's could get viruses/trojans, but when I started getting random spam emails I did some research on ISPYU and found out it was a Trojan. Does anyone know how to remove this???

2. simsaladimbamba

What application did show you that you have acquired this trojan?

Btw, Macs can get trojans, but only if you install them manually. Viruses are still to be found though.

MALWARE INFO: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9400648&postcount=4

Btw, is that the correct spelling? All I can find is some suspicious information and spyware removal tools from suspicious sites for ignorant users to install another malware product, which is for Windows, therefore I presume the trojan you think you have is for Windows, therefore it can't harm your Mac.

3. sportsfan1234, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010

sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Simply delete the file. You're not infected because it doesn't effect Macs. You never answered the question about what told you that you had the trojan.

5. simsaladimbamba

What told you you had a trojan?
    And have you read that MALWARE INFO link I provided in my first post?
    If yes, then you should know, that you can't get a trojan by simply reading an email or receiving lots of them. You have to manually install it and enter your password.

6. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

i had to check a box giving ispyu permission to access all my facebook data, then agree to enter into a drawing for a gift card, then provide an e-mail address for them. a few minutes later a received a strange email which i opened that looked like a scam. after researching ISPYU, i read that a sign you have the trojan is by receiving lots of random spam emails and opening any of them. i am a new mac user and do not know how to remove the file. please help

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

why did you give ispyu permission to access your facebook data?

8. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

it was a scam. got posted on my friends FB wall. the scam is if you install it, it allows you to see everyone who has viewed your FB page. afterwards it posts on your wall "i can't believe this actually works" on your fb wall, so it look like the person wrote it.

9. simsaladimbamba

Please, please read that Malware Info carefully, maybe even twice.
    As you seem to have all done this inside your browser, you don't have a trojan. You only get spam, which is not the same as having a trojan, you just need to be on someone's list with your email address and off the spammers go.
    Please read that Malware Info link I provided.

10. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

What is a Trojan horse?
    Trojan horses are impostors—files that claim to be something desirable but, in fact, are malicious. A very important distinction between Trojan horse programs and true viruses is that they do not replicate themselves. Trojan horses contain malicious code that when triggered cause loss, or even theft, of data. For a Trojan horse to spread, you must invite these programs onto your computers; for example, by opening an email attachment or downloading and running a file from the Internet.

read it. twice. it says i could have had data stolen. plus i did open an email, there wasn't an attachment, but still i opened an email.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Stop.

You do not have a trojan.

You gave your email address away. You will get spam. There is nothing you can do, except click the unsubscribe link in each one.

You do not have a trojan.

and to be 100% sure: Did you enter you Mac's admin password? Or just Facebook?

12. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

how do i know for sure if i either have it, or just gave away my identity. the link i posted says INDICATIONS YOU WAVE THE ISPU TROJAN. the one indicator is that you get spam E-mails.

Why I am Concerned...

1) I gave the site permission to access all of my fb data
    2) I agreed to the terms and gave them my email address (to enter into a drawing of some sort)
    3) I received spam email and accidentally opened one of them.

I feel like my identity was just stolen. How do i know ?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

THIS is why you are getting spam ...

Answer some of the questions in this thread.

STOP PANICKING.

14. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I never entered in any passwords. I was already logged into FB, and the site already knew that. I never typed in my mac password however, or any others.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then you cannot have a trojan. <- Period.

Change your fb password, and your email password (to be safe), and begin the unsubscribe process.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

There is a distinction between giving somebody (or something) your email address, and giving somebody (or something) the password to your computer.

It sounds like whatever is spamming you did not actually infect your computer (in other words, the exact same things would still have happened whether you were accessing Facebook from your Mac, or from a PC, or from a computer at the library).

You can take some comfort in that. Next time please be very careful about clicking links on Facebook. As you have discovered, some of them are malicious. They will mess with your Facebook account, and post annoying spam to all your friends... but that's about all the harm they can do.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not a trojan. A trojan is a program you give permission to run on your computer, not in your browser on facebook. All you did was give away your email address to some spam site which will continually spam you most likely.

To explain the difference better:

If it was a real trojan, it would have been a program you downloaded onto your machine and typed in your mac password to allow it to run. What you did is give your email address to some spam bot. Nothing was downloaded, you just gave away your email address online.

Whatever info your finding that says "spam is an indication of a trojan" is pretty misleading. Most trojans run without anyone knowing they are malicious.

18. GGJstudios, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I could send you an email that claims you have Mad Cow Disease. Are you going to believe that, too? Just because a website or email claims you have a virus or trojan, DON'T BELIEVE IT!

After you calm down a bit, take some time and read this: Mac Virus/Malware Info

Pay special attention to the section: What is a virus hoax?

19. simsaladimbamba

You did open the email, which seems to indicate, you just read it inside your browser or mail application. You also wrote, you didn't open any attachment.
    A trojan needs to be installed manually, not just looked at. It either piggy backs on some other kind of software (therefore the name) or is a straight trojan anyway (very rarely).
    As you haven't downloaded any attachment and therefore didn't execute any non downloaded attachment and therefore did not enter a password for that not downloaded attachment, a trojan is unlikely to have been installed.

In simpler words: A trojan can't be installed by not downloading it and not opening it and not using the account's or an admin's password to not install it.

And as that trojan is for Windows, it can't affect or infect Mac OS X. Or can you run an .exe downloaded from Download.com?

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

21. simsaladimbamba

Do you have a Mac with Mac OS X running?
    If that is the case, you can't be infected by a Windows trojan. Especially as you not even followed the procedure to successfully install trojans on Mac OS X, as laid out by GGJstudios' Malware Info link.

Now click on it, and take ten minutes or even more to slowly read it.

Btw, if you click the download link ("Check now if your PC is infected with ISpyU" - bottom half of the page you linked to). you see, that you download an .exe file, which can't harm or even run on Mac OS X. ANd I agree with r.j.s., they only want to sell you something or even get their own malware installed.

Please, please read that link GGJstudios put together.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to stop reading all the information provided by the scammers and read the link I posted. I see that information was provided to you back in August, but apparently, you have chosen not to take the time to read it. If you don't arm yourself with information, you're likely to fall for any scam they put out there.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Facebook is not Mac OS X.

I bet he has a really simple password too. It seems that some people just can't be helped. ;)

24. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82