Issue installing 10.6.8 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dryjoy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. dryjoy macrumors regular

Hi

I have just run the combo updater for 10.6.8 on our 2009 Mac Pro and 2010 MacBook Pro.

The update went off without a hitch on the Pro, but on the MacBook, it went most of the way, but the machine froze during the 'writing package receipts' phase. I left it for some time, but in the end had to force power-down.

When I powered on, it started to boot, then powered down while on the grey screen with the cog, rebooted by itself, and now seems OK. I'm typing this on it now. It was very slow logging after the login screen, but seems fine now.

Are there any potential problems that this incomplete installation could cause? Are the 'package receipts' important? Should I reinstall from our Timemachine backup, or do you think it's OK just to carry on using the machine as is for now?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...odd, I had a similar yet different occurrence. On my MBPro the installer (from the combo update) seemed to go right into the logout/reboot process without me clicking the button. It then hung on the blue screen for ages with the drive working like mad. It seemed to be going too long in fact and I took a chance and powered it off and back on. It started the boot process as normal but then rebooted on its own (and I began thinking "uh oh") but then it booted to the login screen as normal. A quick check said I was indeed running 10.6.8 now, but just to be sure I did re-apply the combo update again, this time it all went completely normally. Maybe it all was well the first time but better to be safe.....oh yeah!

3. Stefan87 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

After the installation my Macbook Pro stopped booting properly, after each restart the blueish screen appears stating a panic(cpu 1 caller 0x2abf6a) error. I have tried to do a option+command+p+r reset but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea what I can do besides reinstalling Mac OS again?

This sure does prepare me for the 10.7 OS... As I have no functional OS anymore.

4. jpolk macrumors newbie

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

DO INSTALL. It runs fine on my MacBook Pro. Seriously? It's bound to happen to few people, always does but doesn't mean someone shouldn't upgrade. They should be proceed at their own risk.

6. jpolk macrumors newbie

It's not a beta. With all the testing Apple does this should NOT be an issue. I've never run into any trouble before. My system won't acknowledge any applications, including Apple ones and I can't access my Time Machine backup.

7. Belmakor macrumors member

I'm not the only one?

Since I have like 5 Macs in the house of various flavours, I downloaded the Combo updater. First cab off the ranks - my late 2009 27" i7 iMac - my primary development machine. Got about 80% of the way through the install and the screen just went... black. Like the screen had turned off or it had gone to sleep or something. Tried to get it to "wake up" by pressing keys, moving the mouse, clicking, etc - no response.

Moved to another mac, noticed that the shared drive of the i7 was still visible, tried to connect, no result. Rebooted the second mac, saw the i7 drive still visible after reboot, tried to connect, nothing.

Tried again to wake the machine up, still nothing.

So, took a punt, and powered it down by holding the power button.

Now, on booting up all I get is a panic - "Unable to find driver for this platform"

I guess I need to do an OS reinstall :(

Thankfully I am an avid user of Time Machine backups.

8. Vin Messi macrumors newbie

Installed 10.6.8 puts me into a login in loop and now have to do an archive / OS restore.

9. gorskiegangsta, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Mine installed fine, but now I can't sign in to my Apple iTunes/AppStore accounts :(
    I hope it's just a database error on Apple's side of things that'll get fixed soon.

EDIT: The Apple account sign-in issue is gone. Thus far everything is working perfectly. It even seems that the bootup times improved by ~5 sec.
    BTW, I installed 10.6.8 update via OS X Software Update.

10. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that others of you have also had problems.

Does anybody have any idea about my original questions at the top of the thread? Does it matter that the machine did not complete writing the package receipts?

Thanks for your thoughts.

11. Belmakor macrumors member

What about just reinstalling the update to make sure (although given my experience, I'm holding off a bit before I attempt to upgrade any of my machines again... currently waiting through an estimated 10-hour restore from Time Machine backup...)

12. schneiderinho macrumors newbie

I got an similar problem. I downloaded the update, shutdown, but the installation just won't work. After installing 10% the Mac just shuts down.

I got an new iMac 2011. Is there any possibility to skip the installation and go back to my old configuration?

13. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Thanks for the feedback guys. I skipped 10.6.7 and was interested in this but after all the horror stories I will stay on 10.6.6.

14. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

So, it wouldn't do any harm (assuming it works this time!) to run the update again? Would it just overwrite the files it put there before?

15. Belmakor macrumors member

No idea, I'm just guessing.

Me, I put in the iMac's original install DVD and did a full restore from my last Time Machine backup. I'm now up and running again, everything appears good. I think I will hold off on running the update again for now.

16. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

After trying to install this update my early 2011 MacBook Pro hangs at the grey boot screen like it's trying to install and then a quarter of the way it powers itself off. When I press the power button the same process repeats leaving me with a non functional Laptop! Any ideas?

17. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

This update seemed to screw up my graphics settings on my MacBook Pro8,2. Everything was huge when I rebooted. Even when I set them back on boot up the resolution would be really low.

I reset the PRAM and it fixed it.

18. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I've installed the update and since then I've noticed (on my third restart) that after I enter my login password there is a plain blue screen for ~1 second before my wallpaper and dock load up, this never happened before

19. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'll be away from my Mac all weekend but REALLY annoyed that this update has made my MBP unusable.

20. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a habit of ignoring software updates for the first few days. I've never had a problem with an update in the past but I tend to be cautious nonetheless. I might get around to letting 10.5.8 install next week sometime unless I see a lot more threads like this one.

21. smithatlanta macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues with my Mac Mini. Guess it's time to get out the Snow Leopard CD and restore from Time Capsule. It really sucks because I had just pulled down about 20 gig of WWDC 2011 videos so now I have to do it all again because I hadn't run a back up.

22. ratGT macrumors member

ratGT

Just a thought...

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, nor do I excuse the problems that the 10.6.8 Combo Update causes, but I noticed that all the people complaining on this thread about update issues, almost none of them have used the Mac OS X's Software Update...
    It's ALWAYS better to update the Mac OS X, through Software Update, rather than the downloadable Combo Update. And if you are 'forced' to do it that way because your unit doesn't have Internet connection (which is rare in our days) then 'force' yourself to connect to it somehow and update through the Software Update! ;)

Just a thought... Sorry if I seem like an ignorant bastard to some of the 'hurt' ones! :cool:

23. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Uh..

I used the software update, and it wrecked my preunibody 2008. Ripples along the bottom of my screen. Went back to 10.6 and it has been perfect. Avoiding this update for now...

24. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

FWIW, I used the combo update on my 2007 24" Al iMac, and everything went perfectly.
    Best of luck to all who are having problems.

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni