Issue with 4.2.1 update

Discussion in 'iPad' started by InfernoUk, Nov 22, 2010.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

hey just wondered why my ipad isnt showing that it can be updated to 4.2.1 it says its running the most recent (currently at 4.2 Beta 3) thanks !

2. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

3. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Lol.

4. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

can you hear me now?

I'm very surprised that the iPad section isn't all a blaze with official 4.2 news, unless we are all busy playing with the new features right now. I would have expected this place to blow up with posts. Hell, the iPhone section has more news on 4.2 than we do and it's a minor update as far as they are concerned. What gives?

For all the bitching and moaning about 4.2 taking forever I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm now that it's actually here.

6. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I have an early beta and it's saying it's already updated to most recent. I figured I'd restore and give it another go but it won't let me restore either, I get an "unable to error" -- saying requested resource not found.

Anyone know how to fix that?

7. exemos macrumors member

Having the same problem. I was able to update my iPhone even though I had 4.2GM but not my iPad. Well no yet

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Same here. I have the 4.2 GM and it says that this is the latest upgrade. Anyone else having this issue? I would assume that it would see the build numbers as not being the same and would initiate an upgrade.

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Same here as well.

My iPad has iOS 4.2 beta 2, yet iTunes says mine already has the latest (current version) iOS 4.2.

Any suggestions?

10. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

It must not be rolling out to everyone all at once then. I had 2.4GMb and I was able to upgrade just fine through iTunes.

11. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

It seems to want to start and it says it's contacting Apple and then nothing. I assume it's because of the high traffic. I guess I'll try later.

13. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Or you can do what I did. Manually download the file: (4.2.1) and install it yourself. Then again you can wait if you want.

14. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

i was looking for that, is there a direct link download for it ? cant find one

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

16. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"I'm very surprised that the iPad section isn't all a blaze with official 4.2 news, unless we are all busy playing with the new features right now. I would have expected this place to blow up with posts. Hell, the iPhone section has more news on 4.2 than we do and it's a minor update as far as they are concerned. What gives?

For all the bitching and moaning about 4.2 taking forever I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm now that it's actually here."

LOL...you posted this literally 39 minutes after the update was released!!!! Give it a couple hours at least:) Sheesh!!! I was able to get mine in just a couple minutes after 10 o'clock! I've just finished putting my apps in to folders and playing a bit. It's awesome...update was smooth as silk, everything seems to work as advertised, and I couldn't be happier. And I'll bet you're right now with folks busy playing with the new features...especially those of us geeks that would've downloaded immediately this AM:)

J

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Do a restore in iTunes and it will download the full release. From what I read the full release is exactly the same as the 4.2.1 GM so there really isn't a reason to upgrade.

18. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

But the problem is iTunes tells people with 4.2 that it's the latest version.

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Not necessarily true. Sometimes the server will not allow an upgrade if someone is running a beta. Anyway, I had the 4.2 GM and now have 4.2.1 so it's all good.

20. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

We're probably all busy waiting for the overloaded servers to give us what we want. :)

I'm updating, but it is painfully slow.

21. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

first negative thing im noticing is the battery is getting eaten up pretty quick. Definitely being consumed faster than before 4.2.1 hit today....i hope its not as bad as it was with my 3rd gen ipod touch, which was basically rendered unusable because the batteries would not last more than 3/4 of a day...wish there was a turn off button for MT

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The servers ARE going to be overloaded. It would take 30 minutes on a good day so it take a LONG time for each to download.

It could be a few days before this settles down.

When you think about it, you would expect the servers be over whelmed, would you not?

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Often this can be fixed with a calibrate. I had the same issue on 4.2GMa and a single calibrate fixed it. I'm on 4.2.1 (not the one released today) and battery life is just as good as its always been.