Issue with MacBook Air not seeing wifi network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by betman, Aug 1, 2013.

1. betman macrumors regular

The network transmits the SSID and is visible to all other Macs, iPhones and iPads in the house... except for my MacBook Air. The network has a super strong signal, so that is not an issue. No MAC filters or anything like that either.

Since it's basically just one device that is unable too see the network then I'm quite sure it's something to do with my MBA. Any thoughts? Is there a way to completely reset the wifi setup/hardware on my Air (I deleted the network from my list of known networks but that didn't help?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only way to reset in its entirety the Wi-Fi driver is to reinstall OS X. If you have Time Machine enabled, be prepared. This may be a long night for you.

3. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way to clear out all network data that the machine could have accumulated, so that it's connecting as if it were going online for the first time?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Go into System Preferences->Network pane. The look at the top of the pane for the 'Location' Toggle bar. Use that to make a new Network Location (calling it home, Work, School). Just make sure you save all the way out of the Network pane to completely save your new location. Then go back into the Network pane and use that to see if you can rejoin the wireless network.

Plus Reset Your PRAM to see if that helps the wireless setup in the Air.

5. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

You do have wireless turned on for that MacBook right?

6. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

First question that should have been asked: does your MBA see or connect to other wireless networks?

7. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Wireless is turned on of course. :) It does see and can connect to other networks. It's just this one that's suddenly invisible.

When I first had problems with the network it was showing up but I wasn't able to connect - some sort of time-out message came showing up. When I cleared this network from the list of known networks it disappeared from view completely. Adding it manually (even though it does broadcast the SSID that other devices use) doesn't work either now.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

What router/modem set up are you using?

9. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

This is a good troubleshooting suggestion, I'd try this. You can also try creating a new user account and see if the MBA connects from a different user. Network issues are always tricky to troubleshoot, so many variables.

Also try cycling the power on your router (unplug it for 15 seconds or so).

10. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out it was a router issue. For some reason the thing keeps timing out when trying to connect to the network after "forgetting"/deleting it, and after it started doing so on a second machine it became evident it was the router that was playing up.