issue with restoring 4s from iTunes backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ayres, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ayres macrumors regular

so my 4s went crazy this morning... i backed it up, made an appointment, and took in my phone to the apple store. they gave me a new one. i came home, restored from backup... the settings, contacts, photos, texts, calendars, it's all there...

but NONE OF THE 3RD PARTY APPS...

i thought it was a glitch, so i restored from the backup AGAIN, and it came out exactly the same - no 3rd party apps.

so what am i missing?

this is strange, as i have done many restore-from-backup in the past, and i have had no issues - just unorganized apps.

is there a setting i missed in itunes, iCloud, or somewhere on the phone?

cheers

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is how it works. Your back up is only contacts, pictures, messages, call logs and such (settings as well).

Apps, you can re-download them at no cost.

3. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, but i'm not following you...

from what i understand, the backup that iTunes does (NOT iCloud) is a mirror image of the phone's state. moreover, every restore-from-backup that i have done in the past has put the apps back onto the phone...

obviously for many apps, redownloading is not the issue. but some apps were storing important info i needed (like, 'do it tomorrow'). so there is important information i need that i assume is/was stored in the backup.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not how it works. You get a mirror of your Apple stuff and Apple apps, not third party apps.

Unless you have them installed prior to restoring from backup.