Issues selling old 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justim, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Justim macrumors 6502

(I'm not here to sell my phone as I'm sure there are forum rules regulating this. I'm here to discuss.)

To those that sell your iPhones before/after upgrading, does this year seem more difficult? I've got a 128gb 6s listed on multiple sites well below the average selling price. I'm thinking price isn't the issue here, but rather visibility. Over 8 days, I've only had 49 view according to one site. Previous years I had hundreds at higher prices.

Has anyone had success this year? Or are people deciding not to buy used?

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Price is always an issue.

What did you price yours at?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The change in pricing and capacities for the iPhones that Apple announced will mean that the average price is likely higher than what people are now willing to pay.

5. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Sold my 6s in last week of August for $600. 64GB space gray with 4 months of warranty remaining .Mint. Timing is the key.

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Best time to sell an old device is 3 months before the next model. After the value plummets

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think many here know that already, but it doesn't really address the OP's issue. The OP is asking whether there is reduced demand given the same time frame as last year (i.e., the first week of launch).

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Actually, he's not.

Reread the post.

9. TurboPGT! Suspended

Things have changed. The overwhelming majority of people are on trade-upgrade plans through their carrier, and some now through Apple as well. Which means there are far fewer being sold.

You might think that should help your case, but the inverse is also true. It is incredibly easy to buy (lease) a phone through a carrier now...so the market looking to buy a 1 year old used iPhone for several hundred dollars is drastically slimmer as well. Why buy your 6s for $400 or more when they can get a 6s for $20/mon?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP seems to be asking whether there's reduced demand because previously he got hundreds of views at higher prices and only 49 views at well below the average selling price this year. I'd assume he's keeping the other variables constant (same time frame, storage capacity, etc. as the previous years).

11. stulaw11 Suspended

There is reduced demand because of the bump in the retail 6S to 32 and 128gb. If someone only needs 32gb, then can go get it brand new for $549.

The average going price on Swappa right now for a 64gb 6S is only about $450; and on 1 year of payments most will still owe $300. Definitely less profit than other years

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

OP is asking three questions:

1) Is selling your iPhone, more difficult this year?

2) Has anyone had success this year?

3) Or are people deciding not to buy used?

I literally copied from his post and pasted here with a little cleanup.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which all point to one thing: demand.

14. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I have sold every single phone on Craigslist once I upgrade. I do price them fairly and the phones are all in mint condition. Almost every sale I make, the people are planning to send the phone overseas to family/friends. I still end up getting a pretty good price, even after the new launch!

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you say so.

(I'm not disputing that demand plays a part here.)

16. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

I sold my son's 64GB 6 Plus for $350 last week. The new owner was sending it overseas. Sold my 6S Plus 64GB yesterday for $500. I use a service in Utah called KSL Classifieds, our version of Craigslist. Currently have my $870 cash purchased 128GB Matte Black 7 with a $50 full body Zagg shield on there for $800 but no buyers....literally losing $120 after 5 days but not one single text or call with an offer...everyone wants a Plus.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, demand plays a part here so there's no reason to be unnecessarily pedantic.

18. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

Your best bet is to go with a carrier and take advantage of the 650.00 credit for trade in. You're not going to find a better deal if you are upgrading to a 7 or 7 plus anyway. I got 650.00 for a 2 year old 16 gb iPhone 6. Unheard of in the resale world...

19. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

as others have said i think this is because you can get a brand new 32gb for not much more than a used 64gb

if they had kept 16gb as the base then the 64gbs would sell alot easier imo

20. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

If I understand the deal correctly....it would be a good deal if you plan to keep the phone for 2 years. The money is spread into 24 months. My husband and I both upgrade each year. I have mine on the IUP and still looking one for him...

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

With carriers offering trade ins of $650 and the ability to get a new model for ~$20/month with no interest there is no longer much point in trying to sell a phone outright unless you must have the cash right now.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I don't think I was being pedantic.

/ shrug/

23. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

So you would pay the sales tax and use it for free for a year and upgrade in 12 months. The credit would drop off at that point but I bet all the money in my pocket the same deal will show up next year

24. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

So when you upgrade after only a year, you really only get half of the credit. I have a 6s Plus that I could trade in but I am pretty sure i could sell it on CL for more than I would get out of it after only 1 year of credit from AT&T. Unless I am missing something?!