Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUThrowaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
I am trying to reinstall OS X using Disk Utility, but I keep running into problems. I always get errors like ‘unable to write to the last block of the device’ and ‘unable to delete the CoreStorage Logical volume Group’ whenever I try to erase/partition the HD. Anyone have any solutions?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Is the disk encrypted with FileVault by any chance? That second error message sounds vaguely familiar to me and I think I encountered it a year or so ago when trying to rebuild a FileVault'ed Macbook, and from memory the solution was to decrypt it prior to erase the disk.

Vishal Chaudhary

Suspended
Aug 16, 2020
I am trying to reinstall OS X using Disk Utility, but I keep running into problems. I always get errors like ‘unable to write to the last block of the device’ and ‘unable to delete the CoreStorage Logical volume Group’ whenever I try to erase/partition the HD. Anyone have any solutions?
Installing macOS via Internet Recovery Mode

1. Select the ‘Apple’ logo and go to ‘System preferences> Network.’
  2. In the left-hand menu, select the network that you’re currently using.
  3. Click the ‘Advanced’ button.
  4. Find your network in the ‘Preferred networks’ list.
  5. The network’s security protocol should be listed next to it in the ‘Security’ column.
  6. Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Option+Command+R’ keys.
  7. Release these keys as soon as you see the Apple logo.
  8. Once your Mac boots, the message ‘Starting Internet Recovery’ appears
  9. Select Reinstall macOS

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It helps if you tell us:
- WHICH Mac you have
- WHAT YEAR it was made
- WHAT VERSION of the OS is running on it.

DUThrowaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Is the disk encrypted with FileVault by any chance? That second error message sounds vaguely familiar to me and I think I encountered it a year or so ago when trying to rebuild a FileVault'ed Macbook, and from memory the solution was to decrypt it prior to erase the disk.
I am 99% sure it isn’t, but I can’t really check as I can only go on my Mac in Recovery Mode.

Installing macOS via Internet Recovery Mode

1. Select the ‘Apple’ logo and go to ‘System preferences> Network.’
  2. In the left-hand menu, select the network that you’re currently using.
  3. Click the ‘Advanced’ button.
  4. Find your network in the ‘Preferred networks’ list.
  5. The network’s security protocol should be listed next to it in the ‘Security’ column.
  6. Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Option+Command+R’ keys.
  7. Release these keys as soon as you see the Apple logo.
  8. Once your Mac boots, the message ‘Starting Internet Recovery’ appears
  9. Select Reinstall macOS
Unfortunately, I can only enter recovery mode, so that solution won’t work for me.

It helps if you tell us:
- WHICH Mac you have
- WHAT YEAR it was made
- WHAT VERSION of the OS is running on it.
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), IIRC the OS was 10.12.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For the remedy, follow the steps at the link below. That should get you going. I ran into the same thing several years ago.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is there data on the MBair right now that you need to save?
Or... is it backed up?

In other words, is there a problem if you were to erase the entire internal drive and start over?

DUThrowaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
For the remedy, follow the steps at the link below. That should get you going. I ran into the same thing several years ago.

I still get 'unable to delete the CoreStorage Logical volume Group' with that method in Terminal.

DUThrowaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Is there data on the MBair right now that you need to save?
Or... is it backed up?

In other words, is there a problem if you were to erase the entire internal drive and start over?
I have a backup and am okay with erasing the SSD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have a backup and am okay with erasing the SSD."

Have you tried booting to internet recovery?
And THEN erasing the drive completely and re-installing the OS?

There are TWO approaches to this. READ EACH CAREFULLY.

First approach:
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

This will install the most recent version of the OS that will run on the MBair.
However, you may not want this (that is, you might want an older OS like Sierra).

Second approach:
Command-OPTION-SHIFT-R
at boot.

This will install the earliest version of the Mac OS that shipped with the MBair.
For a 2015, that might be OS 10.11 El Capitan.
From that point, you could then take steps to get back to Sierra.

See this URL:

YOU have to decide what you want to do.
In my opinion, if you have a Mac, and it's not working, then any OS that GETS IT WORKING AGAIN is a good place to go. From that point you can pursue other options.

A third approach, but it will cost you about $20:
There are sellers on ebay who will sell you a USB flashdrive with the OS installer of your choice pre-installed on it and "ready to boot".
You then boot from the flashdrive and run the installer to install onto the internal drive. But again, these aren't free.

ONCE YOU GET BOOTED:
Open disk utility.
Check to see if there is a "view" menu. If there IS, choose "show all devices" (VERY IMPORTANT STEP)
Now, select the PHYSICAL internal drive (top line "on the left").
Erase it (what you erase TO depends on which OS you're installing). If it's High Sierra or earlier, choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID Partition format".
Once the drive is erased, open the OS installer and start "clicking through".

DUThrowaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
"I have a backup and am okay with erasing the SSD."

Have you tried booting to internet recovery?
And THEN erasing the drive completely and re-installing the OS?

There are TWO approaches to this. READ EACH CAREFULLY.

First approach:
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

This will install the most recent version of the OS that will run on the MBair.
However, you may not want this (that is, you might want an older OS like Sierra).

Second approach:
Command-OPTION-SHIFT-R
at boot.

This will install the earliest version of the Mac OS that shipped with the MBair.
For a 2015, that might be OS 10.11 El Capitan.
From that point, you could then take steps to get back to Sierra.

See this URL:

YOU have to decide what you want to do.
In my opinion, if you have a Mac, and it's not working, then any OS that GETS IT WORKING AGAIN is a good place to go. From that point you can pursue other options.

A third approach, but it will cost you about $20:
There are sellers on ebay who will sell you a USB flashdrive with the OS installer of your choice pre-installed on it and "ready to boot".
You then boot from the flashdrive and run the installer to install onto the internal drive. But again, these aren't free.

ONCE YOU GET BOOTED:
Open disk utility.
Check to see if there is a "view" menu. If there IS, choose "show all devices" (VERY IMPORTANT STEP)
Now, select the PHYSICAL internal drive (top line "on the left").
Erase it (what you erase TO depends on which OS you're installing). If it's High Sierra or earlier, choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID Partition format".
Once the drive is erased, open the OS installer and start "clicking through".
Still getting the same issue with being unable to delete the logical volume group. Mac might be unsalvageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.