iStat for iPhone Coming Soon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TUAW profiles the upcoming iStat iPhone application from Bjango, part of the team that released the original iStat applications for OS X under the iSlayer name. iStat not only displays basic system and network information for your iPhone or iPod touch, but it can also communicate with desktops and laptops running the free iStat Server application to allow users to monitor system stats remotely.

The information that iStat for iPhone displays will be familiar to anyone who has used either iStat Pro or iStat menus. CPU usage, RAM stats, how much free space exists on your hard drive (or drives), network traffic and heat and fan speeds are all available. Especially useful for server administrators is the Uptime and Load reports.

You won't get details on stuff like battery usage or cycle number, nor can you view the individual processes, but you do get a nice overview of the status of your system.
iStat also offers Ping and Traceroute tools for assistance in diagnosing connection problems while on the go.

iStat Server is free, but requires the iPhone version of iStat to be of use. iStat should be appearing in the App Store soon at a promotional price of $1.99, discounted from the regular price of $2.99.

Article Link: iStat for iPhone Coming Soon

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I lve the iStat widget. It's great when you don't want to wait for activity monitor to open. (which for some reason takes a long time for me)

I can't wait to see it on the iPhone!

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? Don't know the limitation on background processes and such, but I'd like to know the resources used by Safari, iPod, ect...

Pring

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I know how the "Free Memory" feature works but I can't see how they're possibly getting the other stats without using private APIs...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I don't understand why there isnt background processess or battery information. There are apps now that show background processess and even show battery percent left.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I know how the "Free Memory" feature works but I can't see how they're possibly getting the other stats without using private APIs...
Wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? Don't know the limitation on background processes and such, but I'd like to know the resources used by Safari, iPod, ect...
RTA: no! :eek:

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Battery usage and cycles used are pretty important stats that are not available? Why not? I wonder if their approval was dependent upon those stats being left out? It's a no-go for me...:eek:
I think they are referring to looking at Mac systems, not the iPhone/iPod touch.

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
No private APIs are used in iStat.

I don't understand why there isnt background processess or battery information. There are apps now that show background processess and even show battery percent left.
This is version 1.0. Just like our other apps and widgets, iStat will be very aggressively developed.

I assume you're talking about background processes and battery info for the iPhone/iPod itself? Again, this is version 1.0. Stay tuned.

Keep in mind that the SDK places some limitations on what can be obtained. And as stated above, we don't use private APIs and don't intend to ever use them in iStat.

$2? ... part of my love for iStat is it's Free-ness.
Fair call.

All our Mac apps and widgets remain free. We're also in the process of removing the ads from our site and changing a few aspects of our business model. More info here. Basically, the free widgets were supported by ads and donations. We're removing the ads because we want to keep the site clean and we're now releasing some very reasonably priced, high quality iPhone apps. I don't think $2 is bad for the amount of work that's gone into this app, but the choice is entirely up to you if you think it's worthwhile.

Also, I hope you like iStat Pro, iStat Menus, Organized and our other Mac apps and widgets because they're good, not because they're free!

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I assume you're talking about background processes and battery info for the iPhone/iPod itself? Again, this is version 1.0. Stay tuned.

Keep in mind that the SDK places some limitations on what can be obtained. And as stated above, we don't use private APIs and don't intend to ever use them in iStat.
I understand. I just downloaded an app the other day purely based on the fact that it gave the percentage of battery remaining. It also shows background processess (yes of the iPhone itself). I have been very happy with all your products and do plan on downloading this one when it becomes available.

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
So what does "Coming Soon" mean? This is one app I've certainly been waiting for.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Can't wait! I've been meaning to donate to this developer for use if iStat and will definitely pick this one up. Hope the "free memory" function actually works!

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
i'm looking forward to this app. i wish it was free, but i might have to buy this one
Yeah, I wish it was free. But knowing that it can also tell your computer processes, It will probably start off in the App Store atleast costing $2.99. I would guess it will cost $4.99 when its first released, just so the devs can make some good money off buyers that have to have it the day it comes out.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Yeah, I wish it was free. But knowing that it can also tell your computer processes, It will probably start off in the App Store atleast costing $2.99. I would guess it will cost $4.99 when its first released, just so the devs can make some good money off buyers that have to have it the day it comes out.
It'll be $1.99 US when it comes out and $2.99 after that. If they didnt tell us the pricing I would easily have believed you, it makes perfect sense.

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
So what does "Coming Soon" mean? This is one app I've certainly been waiting for.
It's been submitted to iTunes, so we're just waiting for the team there to work their magic and release it to the store.

It'll be $1.99 US when it comes out and $2.99 after that. If they didnt tell us the pricing I would easily have believed you, it makes perfect sense.
This is correct (and matches what we've written on the iStat page on our website :)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
As I have said before this app seems awesome. I just want to see an app that can monitor battery cycles on the iphone, if that is possible, without violating the SDK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.