Istat Macbook Pro Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T87, Aug 11, 2012.

1. T87 macrumors newbie

Ok so I just bought a used 2009 MP 15 inch. I noticed that it was getting pretty hot even the charger while operating so i downloaded istat to get a reading of the fan and it was saying 0rpm. So I downloaded this software to control fan speeds. My computer went from 88°c to 69°c so i assume the program is working. I unplugged my charger also so i dont know if that could be the key factor also. Any who Even tho my temperatures are dropping my fan speeds is still reading 0 for some reason. The mac is still warm to touch but not as hot as before. Is that normal for macpro's? even while only surfing the web? my pc laptop never got hot or warm for the matter. So with istat not recording fan speeds but everything else could that mean the fan isnt working even tho the mac did cool down some after using the fan program? may I add that the fan speed program i used that monitors the fan is also showing 000 rpm for the fan. Thanks and id appreciate you guys input.

Attached Files:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This seems like an SMC problem. I would suggest going to Apple and checking if the computer in under warranty still.

You could try and reset the SMC. But fan issues are likely hardware issues in most cases.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. T87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i meant macbook pro..Im using smcFancontrol for the fan. I didnt try resetting the SMC and will try that and see what happen. I hope it works out because i really like it and would have to get into a paypal war with the guy i bought it from.

----------

Unfortunately I doubt if its still under warranty. Its a 2009 model. Forgot to mention this particular MBP has only 1 fan.

5. simsaladimbamba

So it is the base 15" MBP with the 9400 integrated graphics processor (IGP) I guess.

If an SMC reset does not work, maybe have a look at the connection of the fan to the logic board. Maybe the previous owner did something in there. As for warranty status, you can check here.