isub no more with tiger

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
857
0
does anyone else have a problem with there isub since upgrading to tiger it works until u adjust the computer volume then when you open the sound system preference it works untill u adjust the volume again
 

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
857
0
TexasMac said:
I haven't had any problems with mine. Sorry you are having trouble.
loads of people have i wonder if it's my isub but i tried it on my ibook and it works fine :confused:
 

TexasMac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
45
0
Texas
I did have a problem with my speakers when I upgraded to Tiger. During the install my sound settings got changed to play all sounds through the built in speaker on my iMac. Once I changed it back to the Soundsticks/iSub everything worked fine.
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
The subwoofer that is in the Soundsticks speaker set is not an iSub. It looks like an iSub and many, many people refer to it as an iSub (as in all those eBay listings that say "Soundsticks with iSub") but it is not an iSub.

The iSub is a standalone product designed (primarily) to be used in tandem with the iMac (G3)'s built-in harman/kardon speakers, and of course Apple Pro Speakers (which also have harman/kardon internals).

The iSub trouble the original poster is talking about has nothing to do with Soundsticks.

I have an iSub but I haven't used Tiger very much yet. One nice thing about Tiger is that when you change the iSub's volume there's auditory feedback.
 

TexasMac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
45
0
Texas
Rod Rod said:
The subwoofer that is in the Soundsticks speaker set is not an iSub. It looks like an iSub and many, many people refer to it as an iSub (as in all those eBay listings that say "Soundsticks with iSub") but it is not an iSub.

The iSub is a standalone product designed (primarily) to be used in tandem with the iMac (G3)'s built-in harman/kardon speakers, and of course Apple Pro Speakers (which also have harman/kardon internals).

The iSub trouble the original poster is talking about has nothing to do with Soundsticks.

I have an iSub but I haven't used Tiger very much yet. One nice thing about Tiger is that when you change the iSub's volume there's auditory feedback.
Point taken. It certainly looks like an iSub. :eek:
 

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
857
0
Rod Rod said:
The subwoofer that is in the Soundsticks speaker set is not an iSub. It looks like an iSub and many, many people refer to it as an iSub (as in all those eBay listings that say "Soundsticks with iSub") but it is not an iSub.

The iSub is a standalone product designed (primarily) to be used in tandem with the iMac (G3)'s built-in harman/kardon speakers, and of course Apple Pro Speakers (which also have harman/kardon internals).

The iSub trouble the original poster is talking about has nothing to do with Soundsticks.

I have an iSub but I haven't used Tiger very much yet. One nice thing about Tiger is that when you change the iSub's volume there's auditory feedback.
Yeah it is an isub. i use my apple pro speakers with it, it still works but not in tiger i don't know why i've even wrote to a mac magazine help desk but what he said didn't work, maybe this will be sorted out eventually but i love my isub and would be gutted if i have to get rid of it.

Ps does anyone know how to contact apple with this problem
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
Rod Rod said:
The subwoofer that is in the Soundsticks speaker set is not an iSub. It looks like an iSub and many, many people refer to it as an iSub (as in all those eBay listings that say "Soundsticks with iSub") but it is not an iSub.

The iSub is a standalone product designed (primarily) to be used in tandem with the iMac (G3)'s built-in harman/kardon speakers, and of course Apple Pro Speakers (which also have harman/kardon internals).
You are correct in saying that Soundsticks (or Soundsticks II) are a separate product from the iSub which is no longer made. However, the subwoofer included with Soundsticks and the iSub have identical specifications.

iSub
  • (1) 6 - inch woofer
  • 20 Wrms
  • 9.15" (232 mm) diam. x 10.16" (258 mm)
  • 4.93 pounds = 2.24 kg
Soundsticks Subwoofer
  • (1) 6 - inch woofer
  • 20 Wrms
  • 9.15" (232 mm) diam. x 10.16" (258 mm)
  • 4.93 pounds = 2.24 kg

Is it incorrect to call the subwoofer that is part of the Soundsticks system an iSub? Yes. However...
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
Macmadant said:
does anyone else have a problem with there isub since upgrading to tiger it works until u adjust the computer volume then when you open the sound system preference it works untill u adjust the volume again
Could you perhaps clarify the issue you are having? (perhaps with punctuation?)

I have an iSub, and I have noticed a quirk with Tiger. For me, sometimes the iSub volume is much higher than calibrated in the System Prefs immediately after reconnecting it (it gets unplugged/plugged-in often as I use a PowerBook). The problem is resolved instantly if I adjust the system volume from my PB keyboard. However, this doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't happen every time.
 

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
857
0
michaelrjohnson said:
Could you perhaps clarify the issue you are having? (perhaps with punctuation?)

I have an iSub, and I have noticed a quirk with Tiger. For me, sometimes the iSub volume is much higher than calibrated in the System Prefs immediately after reconnecting it (it gets unplugged/plugged-in often as I use a PowerBook). The problem is resolved instantly if I adjust the system volume from my PB keyboard. However, this doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't happen every time.
Hello, the problem i have with my isub is, as follows, evry time i adjust my computer volume the isub emits a very low, if nothing bass this is resolved by unplugging/plugged in. however it happens all the time which is irritating
 

fonkymaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2005
1
0
Same Problem

Yes all, the problem does exist, same things occur on my iMac G4 1Ghz 17" with iSub.
 

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,713
18
Russia
My iSub works better with Tiger than it worked with Jag/Panther. I no longer have to reconnect it to make it work after sleep.
 

mr freeo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2005
15
0
Sydney, Australia
isub NO more

eXan said:
My iSub works better with Tiger than it worked with Jag/Panther. I no longer have to reconnect it to make it work after sleep.
I am currently running Panther & my isub (in conjunction with apple pro speakers) works absolutely perfectly, before installing Tiger I figured it would be wise to test my isub on another Mac that was running Tiger & sure enough the problems originally posted by Macmadant were evident.
I am now holding off installing Tiger until I hear of a Fix! ;)
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
Macmadant said:
Hello, the problem i have with my isub is, as follows, evry time i adjust my computer volume the isub emits a very low, if nothing bass this is resolved by unplugging/plugged in. however it happens all the time which is irritating
If I understand you correctly, you're hearing auditory feedback from the iSub, which wasn't there before Tiger. It's a feature, not a problem.
 

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
522
0
SouthWest-USA
Macmadant said:
does anyone else have a problem with there isub since upgrading to tiger it works until u adjust the computer volume then when you open the sound system preference it works untill u adjust the volume again
Go to System Preferences>Sound. Click on the Output Tab and adjust the slider to the center. Also make sure the "Mute" button is not checked.

Hope that's the problem.....sure would be an easy solution.:)
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
michaelrjohnson said:
You are correct in saying that Soundsticks (or Soundsticks II) are a separate product from the iSub which is no longer made. However, the subwoofer included with Soundsticks and the iSub have identical specifications.
....
Is it incorrect to call the subwoofer that is part of the Soundsticks system an iSub? Yes. However...
Actually since I own a set of [USB] Soundsticks and an iSub there are some differences that I can see.
  1. What they show up as on the computer. The [USB] Soundsticks just say "Soundsticks" no reference to the bundled subwoofer.
  2. The subwoofer that is part of the Soundsticks have connectors for the 2 "sticks".
  3. The Soundsticks subwoofer has its volume controlled from the sub. The iSub has its volume software controlled.
  4. The power light is blue for the Soundsticks and green for the iSub.
  5. The powerbricks are different.

And of course when someone asks for help with an iSub and actually means the subwoofer part of the Soundsticks they will get incorrect advice since there are the differences in how they are controlled and connected. Especially since the Soundsticks 2.0 are not USB.
 

mr freeo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2005
15
0
Sydney, Australia
isub NO more in Tiger

Rod Rod said:
If I understand you correctly, you're hearing auditory feedback from the iSub, which wasn't there before Tiger. It's a feature, not a problem.
I did notice the feedback & if its a feature its a cool one, the problem is if you adjust the volume via the keyboard the isub drops out & only after you open the sound panel in system preferences & adjust the isub volume slider that it cuts back in, completely annoying & it seems a lot of people are having the same problem. :mad:
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
mr freeo said:
I did notice the feedback & if its a feature its a cool one, the problem is if you adjust the volume via the keyboard the isub drops out & only after you open the sound panel in system preferences & adjust the isub volume slider that it cuts back in, completely annoying & it seems a lot of people are having the same problem. :mad:
I agree, that is annoying. Sounds like another 10.4.2 problem. I haven't had my iSub connected in a while, but on 10.4 and 10.4.1 I don't remember having that problem. Hopefully this is one of the hundreds of things being sorted out for 10.4.3.
 

Bunky

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2005
3
0
iSub & G5 iMac

I just got one of the original iSubs today and hooked it up to my G5 iMac running 10.4.3. Sure enough, it has the symptoms that were originally posted. When I change volume via the keyboard it increases the iSub volume to 50% regardless of the system volume. Changing the iSub's volume to 25% via the System Preferences makes it all good again.

Anyone looked into using an AppleScript to change volume settings? I'll try some stuff and get back to this forum.

... oh, wait, while playing around right now the cursor started to move on its own and the balance began changing every time I hit a volume key. I'm leaning towards this being a USB driver problem with Tiger... that's not good.

joe
 

Bunky

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2005
3
0
Quick Fix

As I said I'm using an iSub on a G5 iMac with OS X 10.4.3. The only reliable way I've found to change the computer's volume AND have the iSub's volume change appropriately is to use the "Output volume" slider in the Sound pane of the System Preferences. If you change the volume any other way (by menu bar, applescript, keyboard, widget, etc) it automatically sets the iSub's volume to 50%. Simply opening the Sound preference pane after doing this puts the iSub volume back to where it should be (about 22% on my iMac).

Therefore I've put together two quick and dirty Applescripts to facilitate changing volume. The first simply opens and closes the Sound preference pane quickly and painlessly, thus setting the iSub properly after you do a volume change on the keyboard.

The other script opens the Sound preference pane allowing you to manually set the volume with the slider after which you can manually close the Sound pane (command-q or command-w work just fine for that).

I've posted the files on my website for easy download.

http://joe.silvan.us/OpenCloseSound.zip
http://joe.silvan.us/OpenSound.zip