Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iSuppli Boosts iPad Sales Estimates Through 2012 to Nearly 100 Million

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Research firm iSuppli today announced a significant boost to its iPad estimates through the end of 2012, pushing its total estimates for the first three years of product availability to nearly 100 million units.

iSuppli pegs 2010 sales at 12.9 million units, up significantly from an initial "conservative" estimate of 7.1 million issued at the device's initial launch in early April and on pace to capture an astounding 84% share of the tablet market for the year. Over the slightly longer term, the firm has pushed 2011 estimates from 14.4 million to 36.5 million and 2012 estimates from 20.1 million to 50.4 million.
"The iPad is shaping up to be the 'Tickle Me Elmo' of the 2010 holiday season, with product demand expected to vastly exceed available supply," said Rhoda Alexander, director of monitor research for iSuppli. "Apple has hiked its iPad manufacturing goals to suppliers across Asia. As iSuppli stated in its initial forecast, the key to continuing success will be how quickly Apple responds to issues as they arise and whether the company can align suppliers to meet demand needs. Apple's acceleration of its component demand indicates that the company has raised its iPad production target for 2010. Our latest research indicates there is much higher production than previously expected for two key components: LCD panels and NAND flash."
The report notes that manufacturing production is essentially the primary limitation on iPad sales at the moment, with the company struggling to meet strong demand for the new device. Apple is expected to continue to increase production capacity, however, with increases in both production capacity and yield rates for the device's touchscreen particularly helping to ease the supply crunch.

iSuppli predicts that Apple will revamp the iPad in April 2011 to match the yearly upgrade cycle seen on Apple's iPhone and iPod touch devices. The firm predicts that the next revision will see the addition of a camera, which would appear to be highly likely given Apple's apparent plans to roll out FaceTime video calling to other iOS devices beyond the iPhone, as well as possible new models in various sizes as has been rumored.

Article Link: iSuppli Boosts iPad Sales Estimates Through 2012 to Nearly 100 Million

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Damn,
I thought everyone said the iPad would fail because it doesn't have any real function? :confused:

Comment

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Funny how there were so many naysayers predicting the failure of the device (just as there were when the iPod and iPhone were launched) and yet here we are looking at perfectly plausible predictions of 100 million or so units in two years... ;)

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
It'll be interesting to see what, if any, effect the coming Android tablets will have on iPad sales. Perhaps there'll be plenty of market for all.

Also saw a rumor in the news today about HP's coming WebOS tablet having pen input available as well as touch, which will be a nice capability.

Comment

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Damn,
I thought everyone said the iPad would fail because it doesn't have any real function? :confused:

I guess the Apple hype machine can overcome lack of function or purpose in a shiny gadget that is a solution for a yet to be discovered problem. Good news for Apple stockholders.

Comment

scyon

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010
I know I'll likely have bought 3 in that timeframe. The old ones will be resold or given to my SO.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I don't know about the multiple sizes. When Apple has multiple colors then I'll know that they are nearing the end of the product's lifetime.

Mac Pro. Now in 5 tropical colors...

Comment

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
2 things here:

1. I doubt Apple will come out with multiple sizes of iPads. Maybe I'm wrong, but doing so seems to me like a slap in the face to developers.

1 year after the iPad has been out, and 75,000-100,000 or more apps are out for the iPad, changing the screen size would be a very stupid thing to do. iPad apps are about pixel-precision. They're all about the interface, the buttons, the textures, the design. Every single app would have to either be re-designed with new sized images, or shrunk or stretched to fit in the screen it was on, and this would be a very poor end-user experience, something which Apple would not accept.

2. I have a stylus for my iPad that works great. Pen+touch is not a selling point for another tablet over the iPad. I paid $1.50 for my stylus. And I got two of them, a silver one and a black one.

The one thing I WOULD like to see, is a way to ignore touch input and only use the stylus. This would make resting your hand on the side of the iPad while you write and draw on it with a stylus (something we all do with paper notebooks) possible. I've seen some apps that can do this with a special stylus, but it would be a nice global on-off feature -- "Ignore Input from Touch" to only accept input from pointing devices.

I believe we could see something like this, as well as "Apple approved" styluses (styli?) around the 2.0 revision.

I also believe we'll have the Retina Display, or at least a higher resolution display (maybe it won't be 4 times as many pixels as the current iPad, but after playing with an iPhone 4 all day and going back to the iPad, it's obvious that an increase in resolution would do wonders for this thing).

Overall, I think 100 million in a couple years is an easily reachable goal, and I absolutely love my iPad.

Great job Apple. Keep it up.

P.S. I love my iPhone 4, too. Apple is a great company that catches too much flack for hiccups in product launches because of their success. To this day I firmly believe that Apple designs products that are near-flawless, and takes care of their customers in the rare event that a flaw occurs. "And I reward Apple by staying their customer."

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
1. I doubt Apple will come out with multiple sizes of iPads. Maybe I'm wrong, but doing so seems to me like a slap in the face to developers.

1 year after the iPad has been out, and 75,000-100,000 or more apps are out for the iPad, changing the screen size would be a very stupid thing to do. iPad apps are about pixel-precision. They're all about the interface, the buttons, the textures, the design. Every single app would have to either be re-designed with new sized images, or shrunk or stretched to fit in the screen it was on, and this would be a very poor end-user experience, something which Apple would not accept.
I also believe we'll have the Retina Display, or at least a higher resolution display (maybe it won't be 4 times as many pixels as the current iPad, but after playing with an iPhone 4 all day and going back to the iPad, it's obvious that an increase in resolution would do wonders for this thing).

:confused:

Comment

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Looks like I'll have to wait until after the holiday season for my iPad. Apple will purposely hold out on Rev B to sell as much as they can for the holidays. I refuse to buy Rev A when I know Rev B will be much better. No big deal. That's marketing strategy for you.

Comment

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
100 million sold by end of 2012 is a pipe dream. This is assuming a few things:

* that materials will be available in sufficient supply to meet such demand(look at the shortages happening right now)

* Android/WP7 will have nothing serious to offer in tablet form by beginning of 2011

I think 50 million is a more conservative estimate. Oh and I plan to buy iPad rev B. Hopefully with retina display and lots of other improvements.

Comment

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Why do people keep saying they want the iPad to get the "Retina Display"?

The "Retina Display" is a smoke-screen Apple marketing term, please don't use it.

Comment

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009
I believe we could see something like this, as well as "Apple approved" styluses (styli?) around the 2.0 revision.

Apple will never ship a stylus.

If another tablet is going to be as successful as the iPad, it'll probably be the HPalm WebOS device, or a WP7 derivative. iPad's only a successful product because of the ecosystem built around it, as the countless tablet failures of the past can attest. Google doesn't have the will to make it work.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It'll be interesting to see what, if any, effect the coming Android tablets will have on iPad sales. Perhaps there'll be plenty of market for all.

Also saw a rumor in the news today about HP's coming WebOS tablet having pen input available as well as touch, which will be a nice capability.

It's interesting to see someone always advertising non-Apple products on an Apple web site.

I wonder how iPad would impact tablet PC sales, or the success of Apple would impact the livelihood of FUDsters.

Comment

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Looks like I'll have to wait until after the holiday season for my iPad. Apple will purposely hold out on Rev B to sell as much as they can for the holidays. I refuse to buy Rev A when I know Rev B will be much better. No big deal. That's marketing strategy for you.

Early adopters get to use their iPads for up to a year before iPad 2 comes out. Not a bad tradeoff.

Personally, I'll pass on Rev B, because I know Rev C will be better, but I know a guy who will wait for Rev D, 'cause he doesn't want to take the risk.

That will be 2013, btw.

Comment

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
It's interesting to see someone always advertising non-Apple products on an Apple web site.

I wonder how iPad would impact tablet PC sales, or the success of Apple would impact the livelihood of FUDsters.

You obviously would be very happy in a world where 100% of the tech products were Apple. No competition is just fine with you. :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.