It arrived...well, the adapter arrived.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by douglasf13, Apr 13, 2015.

1. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Hi. My backup power adapter for the new MacBook arrived today, and I didn't realize how small this thing was going to be. It makes my 15" rMBP power brick look huge. The new adapter is iPad adapter-like in size, which is fantastic.

Attached Files:

2. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Another awesome feature of 12" rMB that is often overlooked! I can now bring one small adapter with me wherever I go, and charge all my Apple devices with it - MacBook and iPhone alike. I can also charge my Bluetooth earbuds with it too.

3. willydimes macrumors regular

i don't think the macbook adaptor accepts normal USB i believe only usb c

4. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

5. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wish I could, but we've been charging our iPad with a multi-charger device for a while, and I can't find the original power brick for it. Based off of memory, they're similar in size, but I can't give you the exact differences.

6. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

That's correct, but it's only a matter of time before Lightning to USB-C cables become available.

7. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I got the little usb-c to usb-a adapter, too, so I can charge the iPhone, iPad and Macbook all off of the new little power brick, although obviously not at the same time. I'd love to see a y-cable that is usb-c on one end and usb-c and lighting bolt on the other, so I can charge the Macbook and iPhone at the same time off of the power brick. Even better, 2 lightning bolts and a usb-c on the one end.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If you've got a measuring tape and time on your hands you could let us know the dimensions. ;)

More important question though - will the extension cord from existing chargers fit?

9. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure. It's roughly a 2 1/8" square, and about 1 1/16" thick. Now that I'm looking at it, it may be a bit larger than the iPad's brick. Need to check the dimensions on that.

The extension cord from my 15" rMBP charger does fit. :cool:

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at iPad charger pics online, it does look even smaller, by maybe a half inch?? Sorry for the misinformation, but this new Macbook charger is still pretty small.

10. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

i just don't understand why apple uses a usb-c on the adapter. why not regular usb? then i will only need one for both computer and idevices.

but I'm sure pretty soon there will be those wall adapters on the market, and i already have a regular usb to usb-c cable :)

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

no top or bottom on the plug, no 'one end or the other'. just the way things are going...so we should be seeing lots more usb-c adapters, flash drives soon...

12. Rigby macrumors 601

That wouldn't work, since the Macbook switches the power supply voltage to 14V when charging (which could even damage the iDevices).

Since you have a USB to USB-C adapter, could you try if you can charge the Macbook from an iPad power supply? This won't damage anything, but I'm curious if the Macbook can trickle charge at 5V (which is the only voltage the iPad power supply can output).

13. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point about the voltage. That makes sense.

I don't actually have the computer, yet, so I can't test it. I ordered my adapters and power brick in a separate order than my MacBook, because I didn't want a delay on the computer, just in case.

14. rma206 macrumors newbie

I've so far ordered this to go along with the mb charger, it adds next to no bulk and works well with my rmbp charger. [​IMG]

15. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Wow, $35 bucks for this? Wouldn't be easier to simply bring this along:

[​IMG]

16. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

i understand what's behind usb-c just for now, as apple doesn't release usbc-lightning, the macbook and idevice have two very similar, but completely different charging system. this kinda complexity doesn't seem like what apple likes.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's also an international adaptor, quite handy if you travel.

18. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that USB-c is still larger than lightning, so I don't think we'll see USB-c in the phones.

19. rma206 macrumors newbie

Not really - im in the UK so that tiny thing doesn't really exist here. Most of the time I need to get away with one socket. This fits well, can charge my ipad or phone easily plus I know the mb will get the proper charge as well. It comes with global interchangeable plugs as well so that's a bonus.

20. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

i believe macbook can charge off a 5v power, even a portable battery. there is a cnet video on youtube tested it. macbook did pop up the charging notification, but the speed could be extremely slow.

but the logic is this, the macbook has approximately the same battery capacity as iPad 4 ~40wh, and they do have the same battery life over one charge. so they should has pretty much the same power consumption. so if a 12w wall charger can support an iPad4 charging and using at the same time, it shouldn't be a too big problem for macbook. though when using heavy applications, macbook does have significant higher power consumption

----------

not essentially larger, but definitely thicker.

so a lightning-usbc cable might be something we are waiting.
    with that, we just need one charger, one cable and we can sync&charge both computer and iPhones.

but right now, we will need two chargers, two cables, one adapter to perform the same task. apple really should look into this. this doesn't seem like what apple would do. (probably samsung lol)

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It could have worked out the same anyway. Whenever I've ordered accessories with a newly released computer, they always arrived separately because they're coming from a different place.

22. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

It's safe to use the MacBook power adapter for iPhones and iPads?

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Whoever designed the UK plug clearly was overcompensating for something!

Look at European plugs!

24. douglasf13 thread starter macrumors 65816

I kind of don't mind using my iPhone's lightning cable with the USB-c to USB-a adapter, because I think I'd probably need that adapter, anyways. What I'd like to see is the $79 Apple adapter without the video out. Just a smaller version with one USB-c and one USB-a.

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Damn, that's small. Another great thing about the rMB.