Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
It could have worked out the same anyway. Whenever I've ordered accessories with a newly released computer, they always arrived separately because they're coming from a different place.

Yeah, maybe. I also didn't want to spend the extra time adding the accessories into my cart, because I wanted to get my Macbook order in as soon as possible at 12:01 am the other night.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I've so far ordered this to go along with the mb charger, it adds next to no bulk and works well with my rmbp charger. Image

I was looking at that. The cool thing about is that it allows you to have both the rMB and an iPhone charging at the same time, all through one outlet/power adapter.

----------

I really hope a Lightning to USB-C cable comes out soon. Then the rMB charger will be super versatile. Not just that, but I'd like to be able to plug my iOS devices directly into the rMB.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I kind of don't mind using my iPhone's lightning cable with the USB-c to USB-a adapter, because I think I'd probably need that adapter, anyways. What I'd like to see is the $79 Apple adapter without the video out. Just a smaller version with one USB-c and one USB-a.

I'd like to see an adapter with 3 USB C outputs, it would remain small and provide maximum versatility. You could hook it to 2 display or many other combination of devices. USB C adapters and cables will be dirt cheap soon.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I'd like to see an adapter with 3 USB C outputs, it would remain small and provide maximum versatility. You could hook it to 2 display or many other combination of devices. USB C adapters and cables will be dirt cheap soon.

I am sure these will be available eventually. I am currently using this to simultaneously charge two USB devices:

3294_1_grande_1024x1024.jpg

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I am sure these will be available eventually. I am currently using this to simultaneously charge two USB devices:

That would not solve any of the situations I'm thinking of, as it would not help connecting a display with display port or 2 HDMI displays or a device with a USB C connector.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That would not solve any of the situations I'm thinking of, as it would not help connecting a display with display port or 2 HDMI displays or a device with a USB C connector.

For me it would actually help. I have an HDMI cable on one end, and that damn magsafe 2 cable on the other end. I always hit it and jar it loose. I end up having to redo my clamshell if that makes sense.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I kind of don't mind using my iPhone's lightning cable with the USB-c to USB-a adapter, because I think I'd probably need that adapter, anyways. What I'd like to see is the $79 Apple adapter without the video out. Just a smaller version with one USB-c and one USB-a.

Just usb c to regular use adapter? Apple does have one.

I just. Ant believe that to connects apples own computer and iPhone iPad, I even need an extra adapter for that. Lol. Yes I can live with that, just doesn't seem like something that apple would do.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Just usb c to regular use adapter? Apple does have one.

I just. Ant believe that to connects apples own computer and iPhone iPad, I even need an extra adapter for that. Lol. Yes I can live with that, just doesn't seem like something that apple would do.

I mean both USB-c and USB-A on one end. Essentially, the $79 adapter without the video out part.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
For me it would actually help. I have an HDMI cable on one end, and that damn magsafe 2 cable on the other end. I always hit it and jar it loose. I end up having to redo my clamshell if that makes sense.

I'm not sure how a power brick with 2 USB port would elevate that problem. With that adapter there would be no way to connect a HDMI cable to your Macbook.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not sure how a power brick with 2 USB port would elevate that problem. With that adapter there would be no way to connect a HDMI cable to your Macbook.

that adapter he showed was a USB C, charger, and HDMI...

everything you need to run clamshell mode.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
that adapter he showed was a USB C, charger, and HDMI...

everything you need to run clamshell mode.

Look back to the post that I quoted from. The pic that I was quoting had no HDMI port or USB C ports. Not sure what you are talking about.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
i just don't understand why apple uses a usb-c on the adapter. why not regular usb? then i will only need one for both computer and idevices.

Because the entire USB infrastructure will be moving to USB-type-C-only connectors soon. The point of the connector is to stop "different plugs at different ends". Yes, it may be a little inconvenient right now, when there are few devices using it, but in a year or two, it will be great.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
My C-A adapter arrived today. I have to say, even for an adapter Apple's packaging is impressive. But the adapter could probably have been $2 cheaper without the fancy packaging. :)

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I mean both USB-c and USB-A on one end. Essentially, the $79 adapter without the video out part.

I'm sure there will be plenty of them on the market pretty soon

----------

My C-A adapter arrived today. I have to say, even for an adapter Apple's packaging is impressive. But the adapter could probably have been $2 cheaper without the fancy packaging. :)

that will only result in $2 more profit for apple. they will not reduce price at all

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003

----------

that will only result in $2 more profit for apple. they will not reduce price at all
Instead, the $2 worth of packaging goes in the trash. All for a tiny cable adapter. Don't get me wrong, Apple's out-of-box experiences can be quite nice...but I think this was overkill. Plus, they required an adult signature for delivery of a $19 cable adapter. :)

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Instead, the $2 worth of packaging goes in the trash. All for a tiny cable adapter. Don't get me wrong, Apple's out-of-box experiences can be quite nice...but I think this was overkill. Plus, they required an adult signature for delivery of a $19 cable adapter. :)

lol it's just how they wanna spend their revenue i guess

what?! you need signature for that also???!!!! just pre-sign it

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
as the new power pack is so small, they should have made it slightly bigger and incorporated the AV hub and an ethernet port in it. Would be so much neater, while there at it, add a display port to it too!

So hoping someone does this.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
as the new power pack is so small, they should have made it slightly bigger and incorporated the AV hub and an ethernet port in it. Would be so much neater, while there at it, add a display port to it too!

So hoping someone does this.

av port on power adapter? doesn't make sense. connecting a hdmi cable to power plug, it just doesn't feel right haha

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
av port on power adapter? doesn't make sense. connecting a hdmi cable to power plug, it just doesn't feel right haha

you serious?

So plugging in an an ugly bulky USB-C to AV adaptor, then plugging in HDMI a cable and USB-c charge cable and a USB device, all looks and feel right?

You have a beautiful looking new 12" laptop, with all this spaghetti **** hanging off the side of it, all visible.

If the AV, USB, charge port were built into the power adapter, then it would be all hidden, you'd just have a USB-C charge cable going from the rMB to its power adapter.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
you serious?

So plugging in an an ugly bulky USB-C to AV adaptor, then plugging in HDMI a cable and USB-c charge cable and a USB device, all looks and feel right?

You have a beautiful looking new 12" laptop, with all this spaghetti **** hanging off the side of it, all visible.

If the AV, USB, charge port were built into the power adapter, then it would be all hidden, you'd just have a USB-C charge cable going from the rMB to its power adapter.

indeed, it's not a perfect solution, but definitely better than having it on the power adapter.

you know that lots of power outlets are either on the ground or under the desk right? then whenever you want to plug in a monitor or projector, you need to get under the desk? just imagine if you are a businessman presenting your keynotes to a conference room full of people. you enter the conference room with your best suit, lay down your beautiful computer, grab a cable, then get under the table?!!!! What???!!! is it really better than a 'ugly' adapter

of course, it would be better if there is simply a HDMI-usbC cable, not adapter, just a simple cable, HDMI on one end and usb c on the other. it would be better if it can have integrated power supply trust me, there will be such cables in very near future.

plus, having a hub on the power adapter is extremely inefficient. i mean, you will have to carry this hub with you, regardless whether you need any of the ports, every time you wanna to have power outside.

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
indeed, it's not a perfect solution, but definitely better than having it on the power adapter.

you know that lots of power outlets are either on the ground or under the desk right? then whenever you want to plug in a monitor or projector, you need to get under the desk? just imagine if you are a businessman presenting your keynotes to a conference room full of people. you enter the conference room with your best suit, lay down your beautiful computer, grab a cable, then get under the table?!!!! What???!!! is it really better than a 'ugly' adapter

of course, it would be better if there is simply a HDMI-usbC cable, not adapter, just a simple cable, HDMI on one end and usb c on the other. it would be better if it can have integrated power supply trust me, there will be such cables in very near future.

plus, having a hub on the power adapter is extremely inefficient. i mean, you will have to carry this hub with you, regardless whether you need any of the ports, every time you wanna to have power outside.

instead of seeing all the spaghetti to the left of the beautiful new laptop plugging into a bulky white adaptor, it could simply be sitting behind the laptop (hidden from view if its all on the power pack.

lets agree to disagree!

I can't wait for USB-c docks to start coming out. There is a Hydradock announced, which had great options, but is a little bulky for my liking. I'm sure there will be plenty of other options.

I just find it hard to believe that Jony designs such a beautiful laptop, and then such a disgusting adaptor for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.