It cost me 830$ to replace an antiglare display on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howareyoukk, Dec 1, 2013.

1. howareyoukk macrumors regular

I couldnt stand the glare anymore. I called my local apple repairer and spent 800 AUS for the apple original antiglare display(the silver frame one). I have to say the difference is massive as I no longer see any glares and personally I think the silver frame makes the laptop look more professional. The reason I did it is because I am planning on using my macbook for 4-5 years or even longer. So what do you guys think? good deal or purely wasted or money?

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

My 15" mid 2010 MBP's Hi-Res glossy display cracked (impact). It cost me around $150 to replace it.

You should have gone the DIY way. You would have required a display panel and an anti-glare glass (with the silver border). It would have run you around $150-$200. It would, however, have required you to remove the current glass and screen, which requires a heatgun and suction cups. Any 3rd party Apple repair centre would have done that for you for $20-$30.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your new display.

Regards
    Raptor

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

If you like the results and were happy with the price, then its a good deal. I always say the price/satisfaction thing is personal.

Things i pay for that i think are worth it to me, others may say is a waste. End of the day they don't matter - its your happiness with the result that counts.

Sounds like you have a winner there :)

4. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

THANKS . so you replaced ur own screen?

5. Mrlal8 macrumors member

$800 you could have paid for more than 50% of a new macbook retina. In 4-5 Years your current Macbook pro will be outdated (assuming you don't have 16gb of ram right now). I just don't see why you would spend this much to get that screen changed.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, it was actually a bit of a double fiasco. My horror story will convince you that you went down the right path:

My MacBook suffered a sharp impact behind the screen, which cracked the LCD and the glass. I purchased a new Hi-Res glossy LCD panel and the front glass for $160 or so from powerbookmedic.com. In my zeal, I sealed in the new glass before I tested the display. The cable was loose. While trying to remove the glass, I used too strong a suction cup, cracking the new glass. I went to a local 3rd party Apple repair centre to get the cracked glass removed ($20). Since the glass was already cracked, the chap couldn't use a suction cup and had to use guitar pics and pins along with the heat gun. Now, the rubber surrounding the screen is all screwed but the screen survived without any scratches. I got a new glass from eBay (China) for $20 or so, but that seems to be either a fake or remove from another machine (the glue wasn't so good). No complaints, though.

A question, however: did they give you your old panel back? I think that $800 is the price for the whole top panel (they should have replaced the whole thing). So, they should have given back your original panel.

Regards
    Raptor

7. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Mac will never be outdated. Anti-glare screen+Ethernet port+15 inch classic model. easily last me for 5-6 years

----------

Sorry to hear wat happened on your mac. i paid 895 just for the screen and another 150 for laborers. Laborer fees are charged heavily in Australia. So i paid 1045 in total for a new anti glare screen. They did give me back the original panel. If you still want the hi-res panel, i can easily sell you with a cheaper price:)

----------

oh my god...650+ views and only 3 replies? guys, please tell me wat you think. u can say anything you want. I just want some honest feedback from macrumors

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

That's quite a lot! $1045 would have come to around 1/3rd of the cost of the whole laptop. I feel that you would have been better off by doing it yourself. If you were replacing the whole panel by yourself, it would have hardly required any effort. Around 20-25 screws (lower case, air vent bracket, wifi bracket, motherboard and hinges).

Nevertheless, you can sell the panel you got back for some reimbursement. My screen's working just fine now (it has been for the past 2 years). And of course, the value will appreciate for a small while before it goes down. You should be able to get around $500 for it.

Regards
    Raptor

9. Ckar, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

Ckar macrumors member

The guy paid $800 for a LCD screen.

10. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

too you he did. To him, it worked out. He has the machine he wanted. Hopefully you didn't register just to insult the guy. :rolleyes:

11. raptor402 macrumors 6502

12. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

That's pretty wild.

Apple's quote to replace my retina display was $724 + $39 labor.

Crazy that they would be charging more for significantly older tech...

13. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Wow thats expensive. Seeing those prices I think there was no rip off, paying 150 for labour is not crazy if you dont feel comfortable opening your own laptop and possibly voidig the warranty (if it has one) or simply wrecking stuff.

That said I think the most important question is:

Did you get the old LCD back so you can sell it? If the answer is no... thats some brutal dough to spend on an LCD. If you got it back and can sell it... things start to look bettter.

14. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The OP says that he did. It would actually be a rip off if he didn't.

Raptor

15. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Thanks, need to read more carefully. :eek:

And im glad he did.

16. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

hi guys, thanks for all the replies.
    The called two of local apple authorised reparier and they both gave me a similar price, which was around 1000 AUS. The price for the screen could be cheaper if I only asked for another hi-res glossy. However, I wanted to replace my glossy with an anti-glare display and hence it charged more than usual.

P.S I do like the display on non-retina model. Although its not as good as the retina display, it still looks good. The only problem was the reflections.

----------

ALso, they did give me back the panels. They didn't even want to take it when I asked if I could sell it to them and get some of the money back.

Now, i just need to find a way to sell my old display.

By the way, has anyone done this type of screen conversion in the past? for example. glossy to matt or matt to glossy.

17. isephmusic macrumors 6502

i wish i was rich enough to replace a $800 display what the **** ?

18. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

At that point I'd just have sold my MBP and found a used one with AG on Craigslist/eBay. No doubt the price difference would have been less than $830.

Don't know what year is your MBP but you can find 2010 models with i7 and AG for under $1000... barely more than what you paid for the display alone!

I know that not everybody likes buying pre-owned stuff though.

19. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

my macbook pro is the 2012 edition.

20. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Pretty sure this is a troll thread. Not sure why someone would want feedback after doing something.

Regardless, that was a terrible financial decision considering you could have sold your MBP and purchased one with the antiglare display for $100-200 tops.

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Or, you can get the refurbished antiglare one for $1599. Selling the old one and going that more expensive route obviously still would make more sense. I can't imagine the OP is serious.

22. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I think all things considered, it's not a fabulous deal, but it is in line with in-store upgrades like this. If I were in your position, I would probably just sell the current laptop, considering it is fully functional and buy a nearly new one with hi-res anti-glare screen. Like direct from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...154-inch-macbook-pro-25ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

I suspect you would de able to re-sell your existing laptop for more than the difference between the complete laptop with the screen you want and the screen upgrade separately. (That was a very badly worded sentence, but I hope you get what I'm saying.) That said, if you have trouble sourcing the above configuration in your location, I suppose if you're willing to spend $1000 on that screen, it must be worth it.

----------

The problem is not necessarily not liking buying pre-owned, but that sometimes it can be hard to find the configuration you want on the used market if you want it now.

23. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

mind if i ask wat happened to your screen and you paid for it already?

24. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

It would have been a warranty replacement for the display on my first Haswell machine--which had very uneven backlighting--but I opted for a full exchange instead. (The new machine thankfully has no issues.)

25. Ckar macrumors member

The old screen can be bought on ebay brand new for ~$100. That used screen won't be getting much money for him. Not to mention the problems of selling a very specific model of a screen, it is not very liquid.