"It didn't feel like luxury at all"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ninethirty, Apr 10, 2015.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

3. shenfrey macrumors 68000

LOL likewise, soon as I saw the Verge I just disregarded it completely.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You only get clicks to your site by saying something nobody else is saying.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

They have the exact same materials and build and everything as Stainless Steel, but with gold instead of the steel. Funny how it feels like gold versions of the watch...

6. specik macrumors 6502

specik

Truth. Seems like The Verge has turned into a big gossip rag.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Haha why am I not surprised - that it's coming from The Verge, and who posted it here. Of course The Verge is just after clicks.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Can you imagine reviews of the new MacBook saying, "I played around with the gold MacBook and it honestly felt the same as the silver version..."?

9. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love the thought process here. The Verge (who is normally VERY Apple friendly) gives the watch a not so glowing review, and all of a sudden the site is discredited.

For the sake of argument, who needs to say there's nothing luxury about this for you to admit that might be true?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think the whole notion of a piece of metal, be it gold, bronze, aluminum, whatever "feeling" luxurious is a bunch of crap anyway.

These are objects.

11. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

You missed the point completely. Aside from the obvious (which does factor in - $17k for something that's literally exactly the same as the $350 version, but made with about $1000 worth of gold), the entire experience is missing everything a luxury experience entails. Nothing about trying one one, or buying one, feels anything at all luxury.

Everyone here has such a warped idea about how people with money act. That they just throw cash around, willy nilly, not appreciating what it actually buys them.

Apple just decided this is a luxury product. and missed every single detail required to make it so.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

So a gold :apple: Watch feels like a gold version of an aluminum or stainless steel :apple: Watch? No way, say it ain't so!

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What do you want them to do? Wipe your bottom with gold leaf?

This "luxury" mentality is plainly absurd.

14. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see how it is now. A few days ago this was Apple showing the luxury world what's what. Now luxury is ridiculous.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're barking up the wrong tree here friend. I don't understand how a slab of metal from company X or Y or a BAG from Loui Vutton is still a sack of leather.

Luxury goods, made from the same thing as everything else, is just marketing.

16. DJTJ macrumors regular

I tried on a $200,000 rolex in the bahamas. They put it on my wrist, and they took it off.. What kind of "luxury" are you looking for?

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I agree that luxury is marketing to a point, but being hand made in Paris or the USA (Louis) compared to China (Coach) is a big difference for me when I purchase luxury items.

Can a mass produced item made in China ever be considered luxurious?

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

How many specially reinforced alloyed 18 kt gold watches out there can tap your wrist to let you know you've got an important email or text? And those cases are a substantial hunk of gold for a person to run around in. That's special enough, I'd say. If someone wants to buy one while a dude in a tux plays Piano in the background and there are wine and cheese trays set out, I imagine that could be arranged somehow by somebody. But at the end of the day it's just you and that hunk of gold computer on your wrist. Either the knowledge alone of what it's made of and can do suffices or it doesn't. But that would be true of any of my other gold watches, too.

I wonder how Katy Perry, Pharrell and Drake got presented with theirs. I'd like to think dancing sharks were involved for Katy's. :D

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

IMO the Edition watch mainly exists for advertising - get on the wrists of celebrities, be a show piece in the display case. Perhaps some of these theories that Apple is going "luxury" are just bad theories. Plus I can only imagine what The Verge (and others) would be writing if Edition buyers got chauffeured to their try on appointment and were served champagne and caviar once there.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Did I just drag Dancing sharks into this discussion? Crap. I still feel hungover. Don't ever let me stay up to 3 am for a launch ever again. I usually do get only a few hours sleep a night but it's at 3:00 a.m. Crap.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are Parisian hands more sacred than Chinese?

What I'm getting at is besides the back stories of products (this leather was made from a Vegan free range cow whom only walked in silk slippers), the Chinatown louie Vitton can be just as well made as the real thing.

It's all marketing.

22. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're no longer qualified to participate in this conversation.

And I'll shut you down even further by asking, why Apple? It costs more than the competition, but it's all just circuits and wires, right?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Keep thinking that, oh king of the forums. :rolleyes:

But again, what would a "luxury" Apple try on service entail to you? I'm picturing Hedonism-bot from futurama from some reason.

I buy Apple laptops because they have technology that no one else can match due to their vertical integration (airdrop, airplay, mail drop, etc.), and I love OSX. I'm under no illusion that this machine is "luxury". I fix computers, I appreciate quality engineering, which I rarely see out of competitors until the price point is on par with Apple.

Hell, look at the Dell 13" XPS everyone keeps frothing over, ifixit shows internally it's a ****ing mess.

But by all means, your holiness, go ahead and "shut me down."

24. ninethirty thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I'm purchasing a $17k watch (and I have spent nearly that much on a watch), I want to be sat down away from a rush of customers. I'd like to be offered a drink and speak with someone for as long as I want/need to. In the example of a watch purchase, I want the movement explained to me, I want to understand the design process, and the features of what I'm buying. I want to have it explained to me that I'll need to have the watch serviced in 4 years and that when I do, they'll literally take the entire thing apart, clean everything inside of it, replace anything that needs replacing, and I'll be asked if I want the case polished, or if I prefer the patina. I want to try it on sitting, standing, look at it from different angles and maybe think for a few days before coming back to do it again and ask the opinion of someone with me. Maybe a lot of times. If I'm buying a coat or a suit, I want a tailor to show me exactly where it's not fitting properly and have it explained what can be done to make it fit me better.

This will sound somewhat strange but I'm really into denim, and there's a store I buy all my denim from where these guys are obsessed with it. I walk in and they serve me a scotch or a beer. They show me a pair of jeans they just brought back from Japan and explain how they spent a weekend with the guy who makes them, watching the process. They show me this same person hand stitched every pair in the store, and that there's only 500 in the world because that's all he was able to make. I want it explained to me that they were dyed in indigo the way they were on purpose so that stressing them over time will create a pair of jeans completely unique to me and definitely unique from the pair of Diesel jeans someone bought at Macy's that were made to look like they were worn.

When I own said product, I want to be able to walk in at any time if something's wrong. A button fell off my coat, and I don't like that that happened. I want all the buttons re-inforced right now please. Or I lost a button for a suit I bought a few years ago, and the jacket really doesn't look the same without the button that was designed specifically for this coat, so could you order me another please?

There is most definitely a difference in the quality of items that have been designed and created with care by experienced people who love what they do, as opposed to mass produced crap you can buy in the department store down the road.

While I'm not impressed with the Apple watch, the sport and watch models make perfect sense for Apple, but this Edition thing is a joke. It makes absolutely no sense for so many different reasons and there's nothing luxury about it, apparently including the purchasing process. I agree that the word "luxury" sounds stupid, but I think you know what I mean. There's NO reason for it to cost as much as it does when every single element to qualify it as "luxury" is non existent.

----------

So there you go. You appreciate the design and the attention to detail. It's not all just circuits and wires. There's something more to it, and that's why.

25. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I just tried 3 different models of the Watch, and I would use the word "premium" as opposed to "luxury" without hesitation.. they were all very well made and felt like great materials are used.